Flash movies

Flash movies

by Tom Nelson -
Number of replies: 7
I am using Camtasia 5 to produce instructional movies for Moodle 1.9.2. Camtasia gives several export choices, including flash and quicktime files. I can upload the .mov files and they play in the resource module. However, I have to use flash movies because most of the computers in my school don't have quicktime. My question is how to export these movies when Camtasia generates about several files, including xml, js, html, css, and a couple swf files. I do not know which file to point to in moodle, or if I need to use flash to generate some sort of single file. As you can tell by my questions, I am a beginner when it comes to this. I appreciate any help you can provide.

TNelson

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom Nelson

Re: Flash movies

by Mark Glynn -

Tom,

i'm deve;oping simialr movies and would be more than willing to share any movies that I've created if that helps. my direct e-mail address is mark.glynn@ioti.ie. With respect to your question I use Swf files as they are easier to manage.

Kind regards,

Mark

In reply to Mark Glynn

by Hellmuth Sole -

Hi guys, I'm doing the exact same thing (although mine will be in Spanish) and I'm also thinking of using Camtasia.  Mark, what software are you using to create the swf movies?

Best regards,

Hellmuth.

In reply to Tom Nelson

by Dave Braet -
Hi Tom,
I was searching through forums and ran across your issue here, which is exactly the same question I have. Have you found a way to solve this??
I too am using Camtasia (but version 6 now) and when I produce a flash file (swf) it includes many other files like you said (.xml, html, etc.). But I realized I cannot just upload the swf file because then I lose all other functionality.

If anyone else sees this and knows how to solve it that would be great. Thanks a bunch!
Dave
In reply to Dave Braet

by Tom Nelson -
Dave,

After producing the video, Camtasia will generate a folder containing the xml, swf, css, js and html files.
Compress the folder to a zip file for easy uploading.
Uncompress into a new folder in Moodle.
When linking to the folder, set the Resource hyperlink to the html file.
This has worked for me.
Let me know if you have problems.

Tom
In reply to Tom Nelson

by Dave Braet -
Tom,
Thanks a bunch for the help. I did this and it worked, however most of my videos are long and produce a larger file. Moodle tells me that it only is allowing 20MB max uploads... so it does not work for anything larger. Maybe this is a setting on the server and I will have to ask local admin person to change this??

Again thanks!
Dave
In reply to Dave Braet

by Tom Nelson -
Yes, your system administrator can increase the max. file size.
Tom

In reply to Dave Braet

by Tiffany Morgan -
Hi Tom and Dave

I'm not sure if this will solve your problems but you might try checking with your admins to ensure they have the filters appropriately set as to allow swf files (and the other files you mentioned) on the site. Even if you have appropriate permissions to up load those file types, its my understanding if the filters are not set correctly those files will not function.

Hope this helps!
Tiffany

(I remember you Dave from ISU btw wink nice to see you moodling!)