What is the best way to manage photos in Moodle?

What is the best way to manage photos in Moodle?

by Vinny Stocker -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Plugin developers
Dear all,

I've been mulling this over for a while and wondered if anyone could help me make a decision. I want to be able to help users batch upload photos into my 1.9 install, to create slide shows and image galleries ideally from tags. The teachers are not great at reducing the file size for the web, and we have a slow connection. I've had a look at Gallery 2 and lightbox, but wondered if anyone has a preference, or if there are any other alternatives people use. I've used the database activity for a while but wasn't happy with it and I'd rather keep it in house rather than use something web based such as Flickr.

Will there be a standard module to do this in 2.0 and if so can it have an interface that automatically reduces the dpi for the web?

Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions,

Vinny

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Vinny Stocker

Re: What is the best way to manage photos in Moodle?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
We've had lightbox gallery for a couple of months now and it's been a success with with teachers; I gave them a step by step help sheet which basically included the simplest instructions to resize their images using Microsoft Picture Manager - as this is already available on the school computers.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Hellmuth Sole -

Hey guys, this is actually a useful post for us as well...  We tried to use gallery 2, but honestly didn't work well with tags (couldn't get the search engine to work properly) so pretty much gave up on it.  What we did was embed another open source software (Coppermine) and basically open it as a webpage within moodle to the gallery we want people to use.

Now Mary, you're using Lightbox, right?  It looks really neat but I couldn't find a way to do 2 things: batch upload files and have it use tags.  Can this work in moodle using it's own search engine?  If it does than honestly I'd invest the time in taking all of the images out and moving them into Lightbox?  FYI I'm using version 1.9.4.

Oh Vinny if you're interested in having your users downsize the images, you could also have them install infranview (great basic photo editing software) and create a batch process which users would basically have to point to the directory and then the software would automatically convert to a file size.  (it could even be told to save in a specific format, since for example in my case all of my initial files were in bmp format and I had to convert them to jpg so I could add tags to them).

Thanks!

In reply to Vinny Stocker

by Helmut Geppl -
Another way to make an image gallery is to use JAlbum. You can create a nice gallery offline (with reduced image size) and then upload the whole album-folder (with all subfolders) by zipping it.
If you want to bulk upload files (not directories) you can also use moodle flashupload.