Greek Opening Ceremonies - Spectacular

Greek Opening Ceremonies - Spectacular

by Mike Churchward -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Just watched a replay of the opening ceremonies for the Olympics in Greece. What a beautiful spectacle. That has to be the most moving display of beauty and art I've ever seen.

Jon - your country should be proud!

mike
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Churchward

Re: Greek Opening Ceremonies - Spectacular

by W Page -
Yes Mike, I agree. It is truly beautiful.  I am watching it right now.

Jon, are you going to attend any of the competitions?

WP1
In reply to W Page

by John Papaioannou -
Mike, W,

Thanks for the good reviews! big grin Unfortunately something seems to be going wrong with my mail digest, so I only read this by chance right now.

I don't think I 'll be attending any of the competitions, because I 'm short on time (on September 6th I 'm starting to attend a taught MSc programme in the UK, and as you can understand I have lots of things to do before leaving) and money (going to Athens and staying there will cost me much more than the few tens of euros or so that the tickets will).

Still, I 'll be watching on TV... it won't be less exciting, I hope! cool
In reply to John Papaioannou

by Sean Keogh -
Hey Jon, where will you be studying?

Buy you a beer sometime?

regards

Sean K Beardie
In reply to Sean Keogh

by John Papaioannou -
At the University of Surrey at Guildford, I 'm told! big grin

Apart from Guildford not being that far from Oxford, there's also a good friend of mine living and working in Oxford right now. So I guess it's inevitable, in addition to being my pleasure.

Jon

PS: Since this was about the Olympics... we had our first gold medal yesterday. And we didn't even expect it... LOL!
In reply to John Papaioannou

by Sean Keogh -
Excellent!

Actually, Guildford and Oxford are not that close...but you can doit in an hour and 20minutes on the train, according to the railway timetables.

I look forward to meeting up with you smile

Sean K Beardie

P.S.  Congrats to Greece on your first gold!
In reply to Sean Keogh

by John Papaioannou -
Well, the university I 'm getting my first degree from is 3.5 hours from home and I 've been doing the trip back and forth all the time since I work on my home city, so... Guildford and Oxford are something like "close". big grin

Looking forward to meet you too!
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Timothy Takemoto -
They were certainly very spectacular. I was scared that the sacred flame dooberry was going to hit the guy with the torch on the head.
But...Jon's country? Aren't you forgettng someone there?
That is not a retorical question. I tend to support Japan, not the UK, these days.
And Japan lost to Paraguay, sniff.
Tim
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
If you were referring to me ... my father's Greek, yes, but my mother's German and although I'm familiar with both of those European cultures I'm very much an Aussie.

I loved the opening ceremony, too, simple, serious and classy.