Transfering Data Moodle to Moodle

Transfering Data Moodle to Moodle

by Beth Davis -
Number of replies: 4
We are new to Moodle this school year. We have an online school and an onsite school and want to have two seperate Moodle programs set up.  Many of our classes will use the same curriculum in both programs and don't want to have to do updates (new assignments, etc.) to both sites if they are the same. Is there a way to import information, such as a quiz, from one Moodle to the other?  It looks like we can simply backup the portion of information that we want to reproduce.  Has anyone tried this?  
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Beth Davis

Re: Transfering Data Moodle to Moodle

by ben reynolds -
Hi Beth,
Assuming you are using the same Moodle site for both online and onsite (e.g. myschool.edu) you simply hit the import button to import from one course to another. Then choose the course, select the items you want to import, and you're golden. Try this in a replica site before you do it live!

If you are moving from myonsiteschool.edu to myonlineschool.edu (from one Moodle site to another), then you'll need to go thru the backup & restore process, including downloading the backed up part of a course to your hard drive and then re-uploading. Again, use a test site before going live.
In reply to ben reynolds

by Beth Davis -

We are not using the same site, so I think the backup & restore process is the one we need.  That was what I thought before, but wanted a second opinion.  Thank you so much!!

In reply to ben reynolds

by Kathryn Tirjan -
Hello -

I noticed this thread and wondered if someone could explain how to download the backed up part of the course to your hard drive - I haven't been able to figure out how to do this and I need to re-upload a file to a different Moodle site. I appreciate your help.

Thank you,
Kathryn
In reply to Kathryn Tirjan

by ben reynolds -
K,
I hope you are as embarrassed as I was when I asked this question and got the answer.

Right click on the file and save as . . .

There's something about having all the other choices in that line that just makes you forget basic browser functions. Or, at least, made me forget.