Attendance view for parents

Attendance view for parents

by Cesar Romo -
Number of replies: 10

Hi, I've just implemented attendance module and works fine from student and teacher roles perspective. But, also we would like to allow parents to have a view of their children's attendance.  E.g. after we created the parent role (it is well documented in moodle), they can check their children's grades as follow:

1.- As a "parent", when I click on a "child", I must immediately select a course at the Profile tab (which is the default tab).

2.- Select the Activity reports tab

3.- Click on Grade sub-heading

4.- then I see my child's grade.

I've tried following same procedure for attendance, but when I perform step 3 (click on "attendance" instead of "Grade" sub-heading), attendance records are wrongly displayed. Actually, a message is shown saying.... " there is not attendance records for this user" (looks like it lookups for parent's records instead of the ones for the student). I am not a php programmer (just implementor). Does anyone know how I could accomplish that? Or is there other way to get same results? For security reason, granting allow for "attendance report" to the parent role is not an option since it displays all the students records for the specific course. Please advise! 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cesar Romo

Re: Attendance view for parents

by Dmitry Pupinin -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Good idea but you not first... ;o))
See at CONTRIB-349
I hold this in mind.

In all case thanks a lot!

PS: Don't forget about http://docs.moodle.org/en/Attendance_module_requests
In reply to Dmitry Pupinin

by Davide Tomasella -
Hi everyone!
I'm so interested into that function... about geting the parents know what their children are doing. There are something allready done?

Dmitry, i had a look of your links but I didn't get it

Thanks for the answer
Davide
In reply to Davide Tomasella

by Dmitry Pupinin -
Hi Davide!
This function not ready yet. I plan implement this after next release.
In reply to Cesar Romo

by Dmitry Pupinin -
Ups... blush
I did not read to the end...
This is bug report!
I didn't check this in last public release yet but in my development version it works good (many changes made). So wait for new release (not long).
In reply to Cesar Romo

by Dmitry Pupinin -
This is very strange!
What version of module and Moodle you use?
You wrote:
(click on "attendance" instead of "Grade" sub-heading)
But where you see Attendance sub-heading? wide eyes
Its can not be!
Attendance correctly shown on Outline view, Complete view, in Grades (I checked for v1.8, version 1.9 should works in the same way).
So I don't understand yet what occurs beside you.

by Cesar Romo -
Hi Dmitry,
 Please disregard  when I said...- click on "attendance" instead of "Grade" sub-heading-. As a matter of fact, I have to click on grade sub-heading first, then select attendance grade item. It is when I get wrong results. I believe I will wait for your new release! Thanks for your replies!
In reply to Cesar Romo

by Dmitry Pupinin -
Let's analyse.
When I click on grade sub-heading I see attendance item with compact results. But if I click on attendance item then I have an error because I haven't permission for view course! You did gave this permission to parent?
Attachment grade.PNG

by Cesar Romo -
Hi Dmitry,
Yes... that's correct. Compact view is shown but if you click on attendance link for more details(attendance records), I get no records. As I explained before, looks like function looks for attendance parent records instead of his kid's records.
In reply to Cesar Romo

by Dmitry Pupinin -
But you didn't answer on my question:
But if I click on attendance item then I have an error because I haven't permission for view course! Did you gave this permission to parent?

And what you don't use "Complete report"?
In reply to Cesar Romo

by Dmitry Pupinin -
But in any case parent may open "Complete report" sub-heading and he will see all data about child.
Attachment complete.PNG