viewing assignment submissions

viewing assignment submissions

by thomas tomporowski -
Number of replies: 5
Preface: I've brought Moodle into our school system and so I am the Moodle administrator as well as a teacher of a course among several courses that I have created in our system. I'm still quite new at Moodle and have a question.

Question: We have over 100 users entered into Moodle for different courses in our system. For one of my specific courses there are only 10 participants enrolled. However, when I, as a teacher, attempt to view assignment submissions from those 10 participants, I need to wade through all of the 100+ users. How do I limit my assignment submission search to only the 10 course enrolled participants?

Thanks.

thomas neil tomporowski
Average of ratings: -
In reply to thomas tomporowski

Re: viewing assignment submissions

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there. Two things really:
check you haven't assigned your students at the system wide roles level - are they in Site Admin>users>permissions>assign system roles? If so then they will appear in all courses whether active in them or not.Take them out of system roles and put them only in the course they are workingin. Then in course settings set it up to groups and look into how Moodle groups work - by dividing your students into groups you can filter the gradebook results even further to separate classes. You won't need this for the class of 10 though but if there are only 10 students in the course you won't need to.

by lee brennan -

One of my users also has this problem but on a much larger scale - they have over 74+ pages of students.

I have checked out the suggested resolution but all the students are assigned at course level only and not globally.

Any further ideas?

In reply to lee brennan

by ben reynolds -
If they aren't assigned globally (system wide), then they must have been enrolled in the course. This could happen if you use a csv file to enroll students and it always has the short name of one particular course.

Make sure your courses have different short names.

We haven't had to unenroll bulk numbers of students yet, so I haven't looked at the documentation on it, but Moodle documents does have documentation on how to do this.
In reply to ben reynolds

by lee brennan -
Hi, we dont bulk enrol students - we use ldap authentication to manage our accounts. When the student logs in for the first time they are not enrolled on any courses whatsoever - then then navigate to the course of their choice and manually enrol whether it be by enrolment key or not. I also thought that courses could not allow you to have the same short name?

by thomas tomporowski -

Finally figured it out.  Under: Users>Permissions>User policies, I somehow had "Student" as the default rather than "Authenticated User."  A newbie mistake.

Thanks, Mary, and others, for support and insight.  Pretty cool community.

tnt