Gmail accounts

Gmail accounts

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 57
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I really want to try Google's Gmail out!  Can someone with a spare invitation send it my way?  wink
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Gmail accounts

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
You know, I'm not normally a paranoid person, but I can't help but feel that gmail is just another 'Homeland Security' initiative.

mike
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I was (and am) paranoid in much the same way about hotmail.com. Imagine what Microsoft are doing with access to all that lovely "private" email between friends and without any pesky data-use agreements to interefere. Just the marketing info on product-name trends must be worth heaps.

Google I would trust more, but it's really the technology I'm interested in trying anyhow.

by James Phillips -
Just to get really paranoid for a moment, imagine what you could achieve with a person's gmail database, a database of their credit card usage, possible automatic toll roll payments logged into another computer, and a person's utility bills (water bills etc. can obviously be used to correlate how many people are supposed to be living in a house with water usage etc.). You could just about write that persons diary for them. And make a movie with all the security camera footage (there is a staggering number of security camera's in the UK, for example). You could even get Bill O'Reilly to play Big Brother, as he already seems to be in the thought police. To be honest though I think this is all more of a privacy issue than anything. But I will keep discussion of this particular can of worms to more appropriate forums!
In reply to James Phillips

by John Gone -
 Good points made here about privacy issues in general. As computers become truly ubiquitous we should try and remind ourselves, and each other, occasionally, that information is power and power is currency. He who collects the most data and organizes it in such a way as to be retrievable wins the game.

Imagine for a moment some entity that knows almost as much about you as you do. I would suggest that they may have little difficulty establishing a dialogue with you that would be fairly agreeable to them.

Imagine the worst employer you've ever worked for. Now try and imagine this employer having access to your most important personal information. This combined with your identity documentation, financial information, buying habits, entertainment preferrences, family ties etc. and you will work that overtime shift, anytime he demands it of you.

Imagine a political party with unfettered access to every piece of data that exists in any database anywhere. How much of a majority do they need in the election? If they've got enough money  they've got it, and anything else they want.

Now imagine the same scenario except this time replace yourself with a loved one. If you aren't paranoid enough, yet, does the thought of a loved one being manipulated by this entity work better at arrousing your paranoia. This scenario will be played out in our lifetimes.

This amount of knowledge/power/control in the hands of a benevolant entity would be bad. In the hands of a tyrant/corporation/government this would be catastrophic. Period.

As I write this I'm firmly convinced that I've gone off the deep end except that I don't think I have. I'm just extrapolating and hypothesizing. Why wouldn't some entity use data this way? The ways we're manipulated already lead me to believe that these things will happen in the near future and the data that will be needed to do this is being gathered, organized, copied and shared already.

If this all sounds ridiculous why would businesses use loyalty programs? To make sure that you get free stuff? I don't think so. Loyalty programs allow them to, with your blessing, build databases on willing victims. The free toaster or trip to Vegas will cost you, no doubt. Information is very valuable or there wouldn't be so many ways to buy and sell it.

A single bit of data isn't, in itself, a threat. A collection like nothing we've ever seen before may be.

This is not a game. This is freedom, democracy, free speech and human rights dissolving in front of us.

Good luck,

John
In reply to Mike Churchward

by James Phillips -

To quote a very old song:

In the year of 1984,

When the thought police come knocking at your door,

Think "I'm out!".

by David Scotson -
You just missed my last invite by under an hour. I didn't get any for weeks and then got two to give away in the last couple of days.

If I get anymore you're top of the list.

by Tony Hursh -
An invitation is on its way. smile
In reply to Tony Hursh

by Wen Hao Chuang -

By the way, I have been using Gmail for almost 2 months now, but I haven't got any "invitation" to invite my friends to use Gmail. Does Google just randomly select current beta-tester and send them Gmail invitation that they could forward to their friend(s), or they have some sort of criteria for people who is qualified to receive that invitation?? Just curious...

I found Gmail very fast, but when I tried to attach some less than 2MB files in my email, sometimes it will just "time out" and die on me. I think it's still a bit buggy, just curious what other people's impression about Gmail if you also have an account?? Thanks!

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Marc Triola -
I too would like one if anyone has an invite to spare.
In reply to Marc Triola

by Ralph Blakeslee -

Please add me to the list if anyone has a spare invitation. 

Many thanks!

Ralph

In reply to Ralph Blakeslee

by Tony Hursh -
Sorry, guys. I don't have any more at the moment.

I don't know how Google decides when to give you more invitations. When I first got the account, I got two invitations, then I got three more quite recently (all spoken for, alas).

I don't actually use Gmail very much, although I keep meaning to do so. I guess I'm not a big fan of web mail in general, although the Gmail interface is definitely less obnoxious than most.
In reply to Tony Hursh

by Martin Dougiamas -
Thanks, Tony!   approve  My address there is moodler@gmail.com  (someone already had moodle  wink)

by David Scotson -
Do you use your gmail account to receive Moodle mails?

The really nifty conversation feature doesn't work with my mail from Moodle.org and each message on a topic is listed separately.

I don't know how or why this works (or not, in this case) but it would be neato if it worked for Moodle generated mails.

(Apple's Mail.app also has a neat threaded view, I'm not sure whether Moodle mails confuse this, or any other mailer, as I only switched the option on after Gmail convinced me of its usefulness)

edit: Slight clarification, this does sort-of work sometimes (say 1-2% of the time) when a person comments twice in the same thread.
In reply to David Scotson

by Martin Dougiamas -
No, I don't, but someone works out what is needed I can make sure it's added to email the headers.

Maybe it needs these:
In-Reply-To:
References:

by David Scotson -

It appears that Google is using something quite complicated to guess when there is a link between emails rather than rely just on these headers. But it does seem to take them into account as my other mailing lists have these and it succeeds in matching them even as the subject line changes.

Gmail support database on incorrectly threaded 'discussions'

by Hannes Gassert -
I implemented a little patch to make sure these headers get added. It also fixes the "Precedence: Bulk" hack.
It's my first patch to Moodle, you'll find it at http://opensource.mediagonal.ch/moodle/patches/mailheaders/ (includes a screenshot). The patch also adds a "List-Id:" header so mail clients can filter the incoming mails by course id.

By the way: you can expect a number of other patches from us, we decided to commit a whole bunch of enhancements (mainly to the quiz module, IMS/QTI stuff e.g., if moodle.org is interested in such a feature).

Martin, if you could check the patches and if possible apply them?
In reply to Hannes Gassert

by Martin Dougiamas -
Thanks, Hannes, good idea.  Can you fix it so that the host is extracted from $CFG->wwwroot rather than from HTTP_HOST (which is unreliable)?

by Hannes Gassert -
Done, makes the patch slightly uglier.
I note that var_export($CFG) should be something everybody new to Moodle development should do smile

by Andrew Sykes -
If anyone wants a Gmail account please e-mail me sykesandrew@gmail.com please tell me why you deserve one of my invitations I have 5 right now if I get enough e-mail I will give all 5 away.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Many thanks, Hannes!

by Gustav W Delius -
Has this already been implemented on moodle.org? Because the threading does not yet work on the mails I receive from moodle on my gmail account. sad
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by W Page -
Hello!

This is a really neat development.  It seems more and more folks are getting GMail accounts. 

What exactly will this new feature do for people who receive GMail?

WP1

by Sean S -
I haven't had invites available for weeks and am wondering when I will get more..
In reply to Sean S

by Andrew Sykes -

If some else has a spare invitation could they please send it to me as I get hardly any space with my ISP's e-mail account thanks.

Andrew

andrewsykes@ns.sympatico.ca

In reply to Andrew Sykes

by Penny Leach -
Does anyone still need an invite? I appear to have a few suddenly.
In reply to Penny Leach

by Bernard Boucher -
Me please,

Thanks,

Bernard

In reply to Bernard Boucher

by Penny Leach -
consider yourself invited! ;)

by Martín Langhoff -
I see Martin Dougiamas got his wish already. I have a bunch of invites to give out too, so...

Send me an email to martin.langhoff@gmail.com ... it should include a link to proof that you've helped the moodle community somehow, or the open source community in general.

If you've ever helped anyone on the forums, or posted a patch, send a link. If you haven't, help someone, send me a link, collect ;)

cheers,

martin
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Penny Leach -
Actually yeah I want proof of stuff too... that sounds like a good idea.

mjollnirina@gmail.com

(obviously this doesn't apply to the 2 I've already given invites away to for free, although they can feel free to play the game as well)
In reply to Martín Langhoff

Gmail++Moodle some more?

by Martín Langhoff -
Anyone still interested? The more I give out the more I get ;)

The rules, again:

If you've ever helped anyone on the forums, or posted a patch, send a link showing it to martin.langhoff@gmail.com . If you haven't, help someone, send me a link, collect ;)

cheers,

martin

Gmail invites

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I have 4 gmail invites... anyone interested?

by John Papaioannou -
I got a few too.... Martin's Licence seems OK, so ask me if he runs out. Same terms apply.
In reply to John Papaioannou

by Sinead Gibney -
I've got plenty also - mail me if you'd like one:

gibney@gmail.com

Sinéad

In reply to John Papaioannou

by Sinead Gibney -
I've got plenty also - mail me if you'd like one:

gibney@gmail.com

Sinéad

In reply to Sinead Gibney

by N Hansen -
I think that those people at Google are really clever marketers. Everyone wants a gmail account because it seems like a private club and no one wants to be left out...

But if you enjoy having your privacy invaded, Amazon has come up with a whole new way to make it easy, their A9 search engine. The search results are the same as you would get from Google since they use Google's search engine. But it is much more invasive of your privacy.

And Martin, it's time you trademarked "Moodle" or else that pink cow is going to haunt you forever. big grin

Gmail accounts (6 invites available)

by Sean S -
I have 6 invites available. Send an email to:

eslteacher at gmail dot com and they are yours.
In reply to Sean S

Re: Gmail accounts (6 invites available)

by Sean S -
still got three left.. send me an email and they are yours.

by Corey d'Entremont -

Hi,

I have 6 gmail accounts to share. Seeing that someone here was kind enough to share one with me, I would like to return the favor for moodlers everywhere.

E-mail me at corey.dentremont@gmail.com and I will send you one.

Corey

by Rhonda Goetz -
I have 6 gmail accounts.  If you would like one, please email me at mrsgoetz@yahoo.com (not using my regular email due to spam.  Rhonda
In reply to Rhonda Goetz

by Paulo Figueira -
I have 3 gmail accounts to offer. Email me at pfigueira@gmail.com.
In reply to Paulo Figueira

by James Phillips -
I also have a few G-mail invites for anybody who wants them. It's a bit spooky, but what isn't these days. It feels slightly weird the way it targets adverts at you according to the content of your e-mails, but if you e-mail rude words to yourself to see if they throw up bizarre adverts, it ignores them completely!
james-p@pf7.so-net.ne.jp

moodle

by Alex Cortes -

ehi martin creoq eu tengo un problema con el moodle por que cuando una persona se quiere suscribir jamas le llega el correo de confirmacion y ami como admnistrador me llega el correo de error

te agradeceria tu ayuda