New: Moodalis Tango Theme

New: Moodalis Tango Theme

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Number of replies: 24
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Our colleague Martin Butz from sym.net created a new Moodle Theme for 1.9 based on Tango Icon Set. Here's a small Youtube-Video: http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=EPCGp5JKebg

Moodalis Tango Theme

Version 0.8

The Modalis Tango Theme is a simple but clear design for Moodle. It provides a new icon set based on the Tango Desktop project, a color scheme with several blue and green tones and a layout with a little more whitespace than the moodle standard layout.

sym.net provides the theme mainly to integrate Moodle not only technically but also visually with the Odalis Information Framework. This integration is called the "MoOdalis Learning Management Framework". MoOdalis provides tools and services that help to manage organisational and corporate learning activities around the course room. For more information see: http://www.moodalis.de

Of course you can use the theme without using Odalis.

The icon library is a modified and extended version of the Tango icon library. All Icons are based on 16x16-pixel-svg-files (svg = scalable vector graphics) allowing to combine and recombine elements of an icon. The final vector files have been converted to the gif format. File type icons have only been replaced partially.

The MoOdalis Tango Theme including the Icons as well as the Tango base icon theme are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license. Use of icons from the tango-icon-theme module must be attributed to the Tango Desktop Project.

Please post bug reports here or in bug tracker (http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-14361); if possible provide a screenshot and/or a detailed description, where you found the bug.

Download: http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=26&rid=1865

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

Re: New: Moodalis Tango Theme

by Alasdair Kesson -
Hello Ralf, It's a really nice theme and gives a really clean, modern and uncluttered look. Perhaps it's a little heretical to say this but it makes moodle look un-moodle like.

I've encountered one small issue. With the 'people' block there is no icon for particpants. You can see this on the screenshot of the theme in your original post. Is this something that you have a fix for?

In reply to Alasdair Kesson

by Martin Butz -
Hello Alasdair,

I'm reading the forum, so I can reply instead of Ralf. Thanks for the flowers, and thank for the hint to the lacking icon. I will fix this within this week and send Ralf the updated version as soon as possible.

Greetings
Martin

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi,

its often critized on Moodle that it looks mostly very Moodle like. Lots of people say the Moodle style is old fashioned. So it was one of the goals to give Moodle a new style.

Ralf

by Martin Butz -
Hi Alasdair,

I added /pix/i/users.gif. Ralf will receive an updated package. If you're in a hurry take the attached icon and put it into the mentioned folder.

Martin
Attachment users.gif
In reply to Martin Butz

by Alasdair Kesson -
I've added the icon and it works perfectly.

Many thanks for such a quick response.

Alasdair
In reply to Martin Butz

by Alasdair Kesson -
Hello Martin,

I've discovered 2 features of this theme that need updates. Both relate to the Gradebook.

I'm running 1.93 and in the gradebook the facility that allows you to highlight the current row being edited is missing. On the standard theme you just need to click near the name of the student you are editing and the whole row is highlighted in yellow. I'm not sure if this is a feature that should work with the Moodalis theme but it would be very useful if Ralf could take a look at this.

More simple, the outcomes.gif icon needs to go into the pix/t/ folder for the outcomes icon to show correctly in the gradebook.

Regards,

Alasdair

by Alasdair Kesson -
Hello again...

I've found another problem and solution.

When you are editing the permissions of users the risk_xss.gif icon was missing from /pix/i/. There didn't appear to be an icon available for this, so I modified one which I've attached to this post.

Regards,

Alasdair
Attachment risk_xss.gif

by Martin Butz -
Hi Alasdair,

I will take care of the problems within a few days.

Martin

by Martin Butz -
Hello Alasdair,

concerning the gradebook I'm not shure. The style definition for the dynamic coloring of the table cells resides in /grade/report/grader/styles.php. I did not have to touch this. It is not part of the theme folder. The highlighting should work and it does in my local installation.

Do I have the opportunity to see the problem online? I guess not;) Let me know if there is a possibility. I could than probably track down the problem.

outcomes.gif went into /pix/t; I also added a risk_xss-Icon. Please go to http://www.moodalis.de/user_media/moodalis_tango.zip; you will get an updated version of the theme within the next hour.

by Martin Butz -
Hello Alasdair,

concerning the gradebook I'm not shure. The style definition for the dynamic coloring of the table cells resides in /grade/report/grader/styles.php. I did not have to touch this. It is not part of the theme folder. The highlighting should work and it does in my local installation.

Do I have the opportunity to see the problem online? I guess not;) Let me know if there is a possibility. I could than probably track down the problem.

outcomes.gif went into /pix/t; I also added a risk_xss-Icon. Please go to http://www.moodalis.de/user_media/moodalis_tango.zip; you will get an updated version of the theme within the next hour.

Best
Martin
In reply to Martin Butz

by Alasdair Kesson -
Hello Martin,

The gradebook highlighting does work when I use other themes.

I've will email you details of how you can login to one of our courses as a teacher so you can see the problems as you've requested.

Regards,

Alasdair

by Martin Butz -
Hello Alasdair,

I know where the problem lies. The $THEME->standardsheets in my theme is set to false. This prevents Moodle not only from loading the standard css files but also f. e. the styles from the gradebook. It would have been a handy way not being forced to overwrite all standard styles (layout, colors and font) but just deliver an alternative set (this is what the comment in config.php says: "This parameter can be used, for example, to prevent having to override too many classes.").

I will change that and post a message, if you will be able to get a new version of the Tango MoOdalis theme (problably this week).

Regards
Martin

by Martin Butz -
Hello Alasdair,

there is an update online, which should fix the described problem along with some others. You can download it at:

http://www.moodalis.de/user_media/moodalis_tango.zip

Regards
Martin
In reply to Martin Butz

by Alasdair Kesson -
Hello again Martin,

Thanks for getting these changes made so quickly. I've some good, and some bad news.

Some of the correct colour coding is now working on the gradebook e.g. the green (pass) red (fail) colours - the attachment shows this.

Unfortunately, I still don't get the ability to click on a row or column header in the gradebook and have it highlighted. However, I now have this problem in ALL themes, not just in Moodalis Tango....

Regards,

Alasdair

Attachment gradebook.jpg

by Alasdair Kesson -
For some reasons my grade/report/grader/styles.php file was corrupt. I replaced it and the highlighting is now working perfectly.

Regards,

Alasdair

by Martin Butz -
Glad to hear it wasn't me who caused the problems;)

Regards,
Martin

PS.: I suppose there will be some more minor bugs in the theme. Don't hesitate to let me know...
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Steve Towson -
What a great theme!

Here's a photo of our calendar page. Do you notice how the calendars on the right extend over the border of that section? Does anyone have a fix?
Attachment bad-cal.jpg
In reply to Steve Towson

by Martin Butz -
Hi Steve,

I will also take care of this problem within a few days. It'll be a small change within styles_font.css

Martin
In reply to Martin Butz

by Steve Towson -
Thanks, Martin. I am eagerly awaiting this fix.

Cheers.

Steve
In reply to Steve Towson

by Martin Butz -
Hello Steve,

I can't see the problem in my local installation. Can you give me temporarily access to a course room, to track down the missing css rule. Probably I have forgotten to set the font size for the monthy view...

Best
Martin
In reply to Martin Butz

by Steve Towson -
Hi Martin. Problem only occurs with firefox under linux at resolution 1024x768 - at all other times it is fine. I can live with that.
In reply to Steve Towson

by Martin Butz -
Hi Steve,

this has probably to do with your browser font settings under linux. Allthought there should be other parts, where the font is to big to fit into a box. I can't give a definit hint without knowing about your settings and environement.

Nevertheless, you can minimize the font size for the calendar. Look for

table.minicalendar { font-size: 0.85em; } 

within styles_font.css in the theme folder and change the value to f. e. 0.7em. This will change the font size of the month abbreviations and the date numbers. (Having said that, I usually avoid setting to much font-size definitions; it'll be much better to find out, why this occours under these special circumstances).

Regards
Martin

PS.: Please download the upcomming version of the theme, because I fixed some other things. I will leave a note, when it is online.