Using Moodle user database to authenticate access.

Using Moodle user database to authenticate access.

by Marbin Diaz -
Number of replies: 2

It is possible to use the users database of Moodle to Authenticate users in other web-app made with Servlets and JSP. The only problem that I don't know how to solve it, is to interpret the password column in a way that Java can understand it.

That Java application will let student to compile and run, Java/C++ code using only a web-browser. I need a way in where I can organize the student source codes in the server.

Another way can be, passing the session variable of Moodle to the java app, for me that is the easiest way of merging this application into Moodle.

Maybe your are asking yourself why I did it with JAVA and no with php. And the reason is that our project manager want that his team learn how to use JAVA.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marbin Diaz

Re: Using Moodle user database to authenticate access.

by Jorge Martin -

Hola Marbin!

I have to integrate moodle with a webb-app with Servlets and JSP too. I understand the sessions way of working in php but not on java yet, so I'm still studying it.

Both apps have their own authentication systems and have their info stored in different databases inside the same Postgress DatabaseServer.

I'm also thinking about the double maintenance problem since it would be possible to insert/delete users from both applications so in the access to the db forms I would have to change both at the same time.

I will let you know as soon as I get smthg wink

Cheers

Jorge Martin

In reply to Marbin Diaz

Re: Using Moodle user database to authenticate access.

by Jorge Martin -

Hello Marbin,

How you doing?

I found something that sounds good and can save a lot of time wide eyes:

"As of version 1.0.8, Moodle now supports table prefixes, and so can safely share a database with tables from other applications."

So it looks like you can share the user/pwd table with the other app.

I will check how it works with Postgress

Take care!

Jorge Martin