by Sam Wells -
Number of replies: 15

Attachment _cid_2814511-2200810642174822612_13071999.jpg
Average of ratings: Not very cool (1)
In reply to Sam Wells

Re: Army Jokes

by Martín Langhoff -
Hi Sam!

This kind of discussion is not very polite -- moodle.org people usually care about education.

War is a sad and divisive thing, and users and developers of Moodle have found themselves in nasty wars before.

Let's change the subject... please smile there are a million websites discussing war, politics, financial meltdowns, etc.
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Jesse Kilroy -
Easy, Martin.

I'm new to Moodle but i think that Sam should be able to post those images of the war in Iraq. The war itself has become nothing more than a policing of a fragile country, so poking fun at what already has turned out to be a joke shouldn't be condemned by this site. I'm well aware that it isn't much of a laughing matter to the soldiers and the families of the soldiers, but to have a Moodle authoritarian come down on a simple posting seems excessive.

As you claim that Moodle is all about education, one should be quick to point out that there is little in the world which produces learning and adaptation than war. For example, one may point out that it seems as though the United State's "Surge" of troops seems to have worn down the terrorist resistance significantly. Those who do so, however, are quick to forget the results of Britain's eerily similar surge of troops into Ireland in the 70's. The Irish Republican Army went into submission where they planned and trained until unleashing a violent string of bombings in Northern Ireland and England. They say history repeats itself, and in this case, we're all awaiting al-Qaeda's plans to be carried out.

Did ya learn something, Marty?
In reply to Jesse Kilroy

by Paula Clough -

Since this is the lounge and a place to let our hair down a little, I don't think it is all that inappropriate... I have in the past kept my e-mouth closed when others have posted things I didn't agree with on political candidates etc.  I think that is just as sensitive of an issue.  We are all entitled to our opinions on this and issues both sensitive and non sensitive. If I want to stay away from that, I will not visit the lounge.

Having a son in Afganastan, I am glad to see that our boys and girls over in Iraq  have kept their sense of humor.  While it may be a little irreverant, putting a satirical spin on things can help to keep up moral and humanize a very stressful situation.

Paula C.

In reply to Paula Clough

by Lee Rota -
I agree. This is an area where anything goes, although I am not sure about the first photo. It seems a little 'lets kill the locals' type of thing.
In reply to Lee Rota

by Frances Bell -

We have in the past had discussions about whether or not to have 'rules' and decided against it, apart from a policy on Advertising.  I think that Moodle is a self-regulating community and this discussion is an example of that.

One thing I would say is that, though English-speaking, this forum is international and I think that is worth bearing in mind. So thanks for making that point about the first photo Lee.

In reply to Frances Bell

by Dian Thomas -

I'm probably too new here to be commenting, but the minesweeper graphics cracked me up.  Politics of war aside, have to appreciate the visual pun.

Oh, and gee, "enrolling in the course" was an interesting aspect of forum use.  Lots to learn here!

In reply to Dian Thomas

by William Taylor -
The above post is correct this is a lounge area where I think we can talk everything under the sun (well almost everything) when I saw the pic I can't stop myself but laugh.
In reply to William Taylor

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Humour is one of the best kinds of education. By laughing at war (especially photos #2, 3, 4) maybe we can end it.

How about some more visual jokes--on programmers, teachers, and, heaven forbid, Moodlers!
In reply to Sam Wells

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
By the way, Sam. You must be one of the youngest Moodlers on this forum. What got you interested in this e-learning software?
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Deborah Bradley -
@Don hope your right, we must educate lots of people about war and how to stop it but the question is how?