New user looking to see if Moodle will work for our grant applicaiton.

New user looking to see if Moodle will work for our grant applicaiton.

by Cliff Bennett -
Number of replies: 2

I am part of a group that is reviewing Moodle for use with a National Science Foundation grant to deliver Linux training on line.

The project must contain a Learning Management System to deliver the courses.  The courses will include courses from both colleges; PCCs and USFs.  Moodle seems like a good application for this.  These courses allow the students to come into a server node system, that we will design, and create virtual servers within our server farm.  They can then save their images until they are ready for the next assignment.  The goal is to get a 4 year degree in advanced Linux training totally on-line.

There is another side of the grant.  We must keep detail records of the infrastructure we create and the LMS development.  These materials will be given to the NSF for dissemination.  It is this part of the process that I am not sure of about moodle.  We need a product that allows us to develop wiki pages for discussion and a method of storing development data for the public.

Cliff

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cliff Bennett

Re: New user looking to see if Moodle will work for our grant applicaiton.

by Michael Penney -
Hi Cliff, sure you can use Moodle for this, in fact we're just finishing a similar project with Novell for delivering SUSE Linux training. Sounds like you might need some custom SSO work and/or a new activity to sign the students on to their nodes, get information back, etc. Detailed records could be kept in Moodle in a resource, or in our soon to be released CRS module, which (among other things) keeps track of changes made to a file.

If you need to record source code commits, track bugs, etc) you'll want to use a SCM system such as SVN to keep track of those - we do that Moodlerooms & we use JIRA, etc. to keep detailed track of code changes. Trac is also a great SVN integrated ticketing system if you don't need multiple project support. If the code is going to be public, you could use an existing free SCM such as Sourceforge or GoogleCode, which enable you to publish code changes, provide public bug tracking, etc.

Great job on getting the grant, I've worked on a few NSF grants before, I know it's quite a process to get to the point where you can start worksmile. Feel free to contact me if you'd like more information about the work we've done, etc.
In reply to Cliff Bennett

Re: New user looking to see if Moodle will work for our grant applicaiton.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
(continuing the discussion from http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=108154 ...)

> to deliver Linux training on line.

I misunderstood "delivery for Linux" in the first posting. Linux training is something completely different. What is the level you are interested in?
- Enduser on their Desktops?
- Enduser maintaining own Desktop?
- Linux basics, command line, etc.
- Unix fundamentals like shell, regular expressions, command line?
- Linux system administration?
- System programming?
- Operating Systems on the example of Linux?
- ...?

> These courses allow the students to come into a server node system, that we will design, and create virtual servers within our server farm.

Sort of a vitual lab?