Not all groups show in drop down menu, so students can't participate

Not all groups show in drop down menu, so students can't participate

by Nathan Ducker -
Number of replies: 1
Hi guys. I had a weird problem the other day I am hoping someone can help. I set up 7 groups to partake in wikis. The groups were labeled A,B,C,D,E,F,G,. During the day students started the wiki, several students contacted me and pointed out that when they used the drop down menu to choose their group, they could only see groups A - E and that F and G were not displayed. As a teacher I could find all groups, but when I changed my role to "student" I was also unable to see the final two groups. I checked in the groups settings, the groups DO exist. Any ideas? (I am using 1.9.2) Thank you!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nathan Ducker

Re: Not all groups show in drop down menu, so students can't participate

by Pehr Söderman -
Hello
We encountered the same bug, but have managed to trace it and work around it. This happens if you create a number of groups, then a wiki that is groupvisible. It seems moodle does not actually create the wiki instances until they are accessed.

The work around:
1: Create everything as normal
2: Log in as teacher
3: Use the drop down menu to open each wiki (to force moodle to create the instances)

This way the instances will be generated and available to all the students. I am also pretty sure that simply waiting for all students to log in and check their own wiki would solve the problem (but I have not verified this)