UVic Moodle (BC Canada) to students in Etheopia - problems/issues?

UVic Moodle (BC Canada) to students in Etheopia - problems/issues?

by Sue Harper -
Number of replies: 4

Moodle at the University of Victoria, British Columubia, Canada is about to embark on an exciting project. The Moodle instance is housed at the University (1.9.2+) and will be having students from Etheopia logging in through dial-up connections to access their online course.

I am hoping others have had similar projects and can let me know of issues/problems that may be encountered and solutions to them.

1. Dial-up, how does Moodle handle it?

2. What about course content/structure/activities to be avoided within Moodle?

3. Minimum computer requirements for Etheopian students using Moodle? (Students will be using lap-tops)

4. Other things to be aware of???

Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated. FYI: I am part of the Moodle Support team at the university.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sue Harper

Re: UVic Moodle (BC Canada) to students in Etheopia - problems/issues?

by Paula Clough -

Sue,

I can't answer all your questions, but I can answer a few...

• For dial up students will need for you to keep the documents, etc. in the course on the small size. 
  • Don't have the teachers get too excited and put too many pictures in their courses... those take a lot of download time on dial up...
  • You might not want to do any videos either as they also quickly become very large files.
  • Make sure teachers save files in formats of programs that students have in their computers.

If you have any students who are willing to experiment, you might have them log in to the demo site http://moodle.org/course/view.php?id=48 as students and try out some of the sample features and see what works for them.  You yourself can go in as an administrator or a teacher and play around there also.  The course is also free to download and put on your server if you want as a regular course for teachers to look through and get ideas.

You might want to also put this question into the regular Moodle forums... they are listed on the lower part of the front page of this course.  You might want to try something in Using Moodle for Teaching Section. You might get more readers there and thus more help.

Let me know whatever I can do to help... I am working in the K-12 situation mostly but an doing one college class and would be interested in hearing more about your project...

Paula Clough cool

In reply to Sue Harper

by Michael Penney -
Hi Sue, the main thing is to identify the bandwidth and processing power available to the users in Ethiopia - not only what speed an individual user connects at (56kbs, 36kbs, etc.) but also what total bandwidth is available between the individual users and the internet backbone - depending on the region the connection to the backbone may limit the number of connections that can be made at 56k.

The other thing to find out is what is the processing power available to the lap tops - AJAX/javascript heavy features require more processing power on the end-users computers.

The best way to start a project like this is to test the courses you would like to deliver with users in Ethiopia ahead of time, test with a number of users from Ethiopia logged on, to see if there are any issues. Use traceroute to see if there are an slow points in the connection between Ethiopia and Vancouver during this test. Test the courses on an equivalent power laptop - ideally the same model, while building the courses to identify potential issues ahead of time.

The testing should identify if there are major issues with your expected use of the system, and then you can address these issues - using a lightweight theme, disabling AJAX, course design (for instance using a content module like Lesson, Book or Flexpage to reduce the amount of content on the initial course page, etc.) are solutions that may come out of your testing.

By the way, we're doing a great deal of work with Cisco Systems now at Moodlerooms, for delivering rich media courses to low bandwidth environments. One of the solutions we're working on here is to integrate Moodle with Cisco's ACNS system; the main thing with this project is to place the bandwidth heavy content like audio, video, and flash on a WAE on the local network, and thus reduce the amount of external bandwidth required. Let me know if you would like more information about this project.

In reply to Michael Penney

by Glenys Hanson -
Hello,
I've been working for 4 years now with students in French-speaking Africa and me in France. For the first three years I was on a 56kbs dial up myself at home from where I did most of the interaction with the students on forums, chats and wikis. No particular problems and it's a heavily interactive course.

Most of my African students in the capital cities now have broadband connections either at work or on virtual campuses. Their problems are not so much electronic as electric: frequent power cuts. In addition to what's already been said (limiting audio, video and images and keeping them off the main page) it's useful to provide zip files of materials that they can download to their laptops and work on offline. I use a lot of Hot Potatoes exercises and I provided them also in a zip file. Of course their scores weren't recorded, so they had to keep a log with comments on the exercises they were doing. This could be done on a blog though I didn't use this option. I write in the past as, sadly, my university has discontinued this Health Promotion course. M

One of my main problems was explaining what was expected of them. I ended up creating a lot of tutorials, with and without screenshots, using Camtasia, etc.

Cheers,
Glenys
In reply to Sue Harper

by Tony Hursh -
Sue, I have some friends at the University of Addis Ababa who are working with Moodle.

I suspect they would have a good understanding of any issues that are specific to that country.

Feel free to contact me via email and I can put you in touch with them (I don't want to post their email addresses on a public site without their permission smile)