Quiz questions don't backup

Quiz questions don't backup

by Charles McConaughay -
Number of replies: 6
I am running into an issue where quiz questions will not backup.

Quiz creation works just fine, and I can import the questions just fine. I then add a question or two to the quiz. I can take the quiz and receive a score in the gradebook.

When I go to backup the course, I select the quiz. When I go to the next page to review the backup, it lists 3 categories and 0 questions, despite their being one added to the quiz.

Multiple choice question, GIFT format. I've tried adding questions to the course level and the activity level. I've tried using the default category and adding a new category. I've tried uploading the question in Moodle XML format.

Moodle version 1.9.2
PHP version 5.2.6

Attached is the moodle.xml file.
Here is the question I uploaded:

$CATEGORY: Unit 1 Assessment

In regards to environmental scanning, managers must deal with\:
{~Suppliers#wrong
~Entry barriers#wrong
~Substitute products#wrong
=All of the above#right
}
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Charles McConaughay

Re: Quiz questions don't backup

by Jim Frailing -
Hi,

We're having the same trouble, only we can't back-up any part of the course that we used the quiz in.

In reply to Jim Frailing

by S Chasse -

We are having the same problem here for the import of a course.

For the backup we get 0 questions also.

Backup and import function use probably the same common routines.

There might be a bug.

I am using Moodle 1.9.3. Sql Server 2005. Windows 2003. PHP and Apache.

Please Help!

In reply to S Chasse

by S Chasse -
Please someone help with that...
In reply to S Chasse

by Colin Chambers -
Sounds like a pain cos you don't get any feedback about why it's erroring. Not sure if any of you have turned the debugging on so you see more detailed errors (go to moodle/admin/ in your browser and choose server in the menu. Choose the ihghest level of debugging if you want to see all errors).

I had similar problems with backup process and had to make a few fixes. We've got some bespoke question types and a few of the issues were there. I've just logged a bug re match question types at http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-17326 which needs to be fixed and would cause a backup and restore failure.

I probably didn't come across your specific issues because I was just testing the quiz at a basic level. I just added a question of each type. I didn't go into each possible variation of a question type. Could you detail some of the questions and their configuration so that some one can test and maybe get back to you.

Also it might be worth creating a separate course as a test and creating a quiz in that and reusing the questions from the course that's causing an issue. If you slowly add more qustions and keep backing up and restoring you might begin to figure out which questions are causing the issue.

HTH

Colin
In reply to Colin Chambers

by S Chasse -

There are no errors raised by the system.

I think this is general since there is so many people saying that import and backups don't work.

I think they should try it (developpers) and they will fall on it pretty fast.

Just create a simple course with a multiple choice quiz and it will fail to import. Import will happen. It will create a zip file. But there is no questions in the file.

In reply to Colin Chambers

by Charles McConaughay -
I'm of the opinion that it has something to do with the platform that it is installed on, or perhaps some security setting.

I can take the same question I put in the original post, category and all, and it backs up and restores on the LAMP configuration I have.

If I take the exact same question and category and upload it to a different Moodle install, using IIS, Server 2008 (same results on 2003), and MSSQL, it will not backup the question. The backup file is created, but fails on restore.

I'll see what happens when I turn on debugging.