moodle, ning, and second life--observations about quality of conversation

moodle, ning, and second life--observations about quality of conversation

by A. T. Wyatt -
Number of replies: 16
I read this very interesting account from Stephen Downes' presentation at Brandon Hall today:

Stephen is noting that the different ways that people are organizing themselves online for the Connectivism course (i.e., Moodle, Second Life, Ning, etc.) are impacting the quality of the conversation. On Moodle, where things are very hierarchical, there are a few people dominating "conversation" and stifling most other ideas. Bloggers are more open, diverse, etc. (represent more of the semantic principles)--having more "productive" discussions. No one is dominating the conversation--everyone is heard, everyone has a voice. Stephen sees this as a function of the tool.
http://michelemartin.typepad.com/thebambooprojectblog//2008/09/liveblogging-st.html

I have been reading for a year or so about the predicted death of the LMS and the rise of the personal learning environment. While I still think there is quite a lot of life left in the LMS, it is very intriguing and thought provoking to see what kinds of things we might envision for the future. It is possibly the huge conflict between

privacy, control, classes/courses
and
interactivity, diversity, collaboration, openness, etc.

that frames the discussion. Most (not all) users of moodle appear to be about delivering courses with protected content. It is usually hard to get a lot of collaborative momentum with a small group unless they are highly motivated and interested. And the fact that their work is "locked up" behind a password might impact that motivation level. I am not sure!

Do you agree that it is the tool itself (less moodle, I think, than any LMS and/or forum software) that is contributing to the quality of the conversation? Or that people self select what they are comfortable with and bring learned behaviors with them?

I have used ning. It has a lot of social media tools and allows for self selected groups, but forums are still the major means of communication. So why the observation of the "stifling" effect of an LMS forum? Is it the "eye candy" of a less structured environment that emphasizes user generated content instead of teacher provided content?

I have never used second life, so I can't comment on that. That would be a self-selected behavior for me (to avoid second life) . . .

I am interested in your thoughts.

atw
Average of ratings: -
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

Re: moodle, ning, and second life--observations about quality of conversation

by Marc Grober -
Hey AT,

Sun FINALLY came out so I need to go get some UV but wanted to take a moment to comment on this....

In the course on Moodle I teach I try to expose students to different protocols of real time communication and much to my chagrin one student asked to have the class meet in SL.... What could I say ;=} So I tied exploring SLOODLE to the next class conference....

While the whole avatar thing was a constant irritation to me (lack of computer speed, lack of video game reflexes and what have you) the impact of environment and proximity on the class conversations was pretty amazing. Students were enfranchised in a much more collaborative environment.... which brought with it quite a bit of distraction and arguably greater demands on the teacher to be more entertaining.

But what was really intriguing was the concept of being able to watch your own lesson if you will with your students and be able to discuss that lesson with whomever wished!

I have never thought of LMS I guess the way MD argues Moodle philosophy etc.... I will try and be gracious and just suggest that there may be better ways to collaborate. The LMS is a a wonderful tool however for instructional management including curriculum organization, resource husbanding and student tracking (you are and will always be a number - LOL - the only question is whether you are irrational....)

Forums are stiffling I think not because of their format but because of their participants, because we have to deal with <raspberry>the abomination of male communication</raspberry> , with the "finality" of the written word, with the inability of so many people to express themselves appropriately or adequately in any form, let alone in writing...... while I have argued your suggestion for years, that behavior/thought is shaped by environment, that's not really a departure from my comment here in that I think what you are identifying is a new freedom to withdraw from common environments. As the boundaries of experience have expanded, I think our tolerance for experience in a sense have shrunk.

And, though I may wander 40 years in the desert for this, the "networking" I watch my children engage in is undisciplined, self-involved, and just to push buttons, narcissistic at its core. Its easy, there is no investment in the communication, no personal risk, etc.

And yes, the sky is falling! and I am going to soak up some UV before I am consumed!

Thank you for raising such a interesting point....
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Alexandre Enkerli -
Quickly, as I'm getting ready for Day 3 of a workshop on intersubjectivity...

The expression "a function of the tool" isn't too far from the way I'd frame it. It pushes things a bit further from the typical technological determinism while not imposing sociological determinism on it. As a holist (and not a positivist looking for simple causes), it suits me.

Specifically on the tools we have/love... Moodle "goes well with" certain approaches to learning and teaching which are typical of the form of constructivism which remains fairly teacher-centric. The assumption being that a teacher is someone who builds a learning environment for students in which to learn. It can be used in an even more bottom-up way, but the implied top-down bears some relation to the "administrator" role of PHP/MySQL installation as well as to the fact that each instance is fairly isolated from the others. Sure, students can run their own Moodle instances on their own server (self-hosted or not). But these instances aren't that easy to connect. Using an apparently distant example, blogging platform WordPress allows for separate instances but the freely hosted WordPress.com blogs are connected directly in a simplistic "social network." "Goes well with" the participatory culture which runs at the core of the so-called "Web 2.0" movement. Everyone involved is doing. Structure comes from connections.

The question reminds me of things discussed by journalists and media analysts, these days. Now that many people are seeking (and assessing) information on their own, what are the roles of journalists and media websites? There are some very interesting answers, but it requires some thought.

It's about "unintended uses of technology," which are often more interesting than the intended ones.

Moodle could take a very interesting part in the move (on the part of certain people, of any age) to self-learning, informal learning, computer-mediated learning, and "homeschooling." The tool doesn't necessarily need to change for this connection to work. If teachers want to be involved, the easiest way is to connect with learners in any possible context.
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Frances Bell -

I am a (loosely connected)  participant in the CCK course. IMHO, Moodle is being used solely as a forum so it's not really about Moodle.  Stephen Downes is, I think, commenting on people's behaviours and connections in forums and  blogs.

CCK is very interesting but hardly a PLE.

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi A.T.

Thanks for starting this good topic.

First, I am puzzled why Stephan Downes is comparing tools. Tool comparisons died as a useful educational research approach years ago. Ecological case studies are far more useful.

Second, learning environments are primarily face-to-face, with online components blended in. It seems the discussion is assuming 100% online. Am I mistaken?

Third, much as I love Moodle, it has many poor implementations (blog) and lacks many extensions (social networking) that could be added easily. Hard to judge all of LMSs on Moodle's shortcomings. An LMS does not have to be hierarchical.

Fourth, I see a large web in each person's learning environment. Whereever intense, collaborative work is needed, or where structured, credit-bearing learning groups need to meet, an LMS fills a role. My moodle courses connect with many outside environments and contain assorted mashups.

Fifth, my Moodle classes are filled with student-provided content. And I share content with other teachers with my "Sharing Cart" block. So I am not sure we should stereotype Moodle as a teacher-dominated tool.

And finally, what is so bad with making logical male-rational lists that ignore more feminine communication styles! wink wink
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by A. T. Wyatt -
Hi, Don!

I think that Moodle came up in the Downes' presentation because that happened to be one of the platforms they were using. I do believe the course is totally on-line, and international as well. But I was working from notes on the presentation, not listening to the presentation itself.

It seems to me, after having thought about it for awhile, that a major part of the difference between ning and moodle is the ability for the students to have a file repository, the social services, and the initial course page. I have been working with elgg and mahara for awhile, and they add some very interesting components to the moodle environment. Much of this revolves around social networking and social media services. Ning's dynamic "portal" as a course homepage in ning is also interesting. Rather than trying to have rss updates of every course your are in on the same page (or have the course page be about the course, instead of about you--go figure!!smile), the course page is a place to bring together course news and activity from a variety of streams. In ning you can't really customize it all that much as a user, but it does provide a sense of activity and community that is less obvious in a moodle course. On the other hand, I think it would be harder to guide students through a sequence of activities in ning, and of course there isn't a grading facility that I have ever seen (learnhub might be a little different; I haven't worked with it that much.)

Of course there will be many moodle users/institution who do not want this "brave new world" of socially interconnected learning. There are many reasons for this, but I will refrain from digressing. It will be quite a challenge to arrive at a point where we get the best of all things. . . At present, I think the strategy of allowing for integrated software (moodle + mahara, for example) to provide tools that can be customized for the individual institution is a good one. I am interested in the development of academic communities, and it seems reasonable to assume that these communities might begin in close proximity to the LMS. (bolted on, so to speak, at least in the early stages)

atw

In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Don,
My primary question not directly related to this thread: what is "my 'Sharing Cart' block"? This does not ring a bell in my MoodleSpeak (the Moodle sites I work with would never have trainees share anything, and are completely trainer/teacher driven by design and intent tongueout which I guess sort says it takes all kinds) so I came up empty in MoodleDocs and M & P.

I always enjoy A.T.'s threads,

Best to all, Chris

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Bob Kaehms -
I took a quick look at the reference for the Bamboo project, and have scanned some of these replies.

I think that there is another way to look both at the question, and related issues.

Perhaps it isn't so much about the conversation, as it is about knowledge capture, creation and management. If we look at all these tools in that sense, and perhaps tie them back into some of Doug Engelbart's early research into augmenting human intellect (esoteric, though, it may be), then we may start to think a little more about how we manage and evolve our courses and the learning process.

Managing online social forums is a skill that requires an understanding of the peculiarity of the medium, so not sure the structure of how conversations is linked together makes for sound debate. In contrast, a good moderator, in this case, instructor, will help to manage the social process.

However, if we think of the process in terms of the value of knowledge capture and evolution, then I would argue that using a distributed model, where pieces live in proprietary services such as google do two things.

First, it makes the management at the organizational level (school district, school, teacher's classroom, etc) that much more difficult.

Second, it fuels the value proposition of google, and other commercial services, and not the learning community involved.

While we could debate forever, the right solution, maybe there should be two goals involved with technology education as it pertains to the internet.

1) Teach students to live in "that" world - aka the various social networks supported by google, myspace, ning, etc.

2) Work with them on the idea and discipline of knowledge creation and management within a specific domain. In that sense, I think a local learning/knowledge management system such as Moodle, makes sense.

In reply to Bob Kaehms

by A. T. Wyatt -
Interesting points. I often smash up against the rock of "haves" and "have nots". Students who have had less opportunity to develop ICT skills, added to access barriers, are going to have a great deal more trouble creating a personal learning environment of the mash-up variety. In fact, it might be so daunting that they avoid it altogether!

I like the idea of being able to use a suite of tools that integrate well with Moodle to address the course management as well as learning community building goals.

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Tony Hursh -
As someone who's used Moodle, wikis, blogs, social networks, and virtual worlds in teaching, I think it's absolutely true that different tools are conducive to different styles of conversation.

However, I couldn't disagree more with the thesis that Moodle forums are necessarily "stifling" and "unproductive". Different tools = different affordances, and making the best use of a tool requires both study and hands-on experience.

Downes is primarily a blogger (and a good one), so it's not at all surprising to me that the blog sections of his course are running more smoothly than the parts using tools with which he may be less familiar. Facilitating a good forum discussion is a completely different skill from writing a good blog post.

Blogs are good for lengthy, individual pieces. Forums are good for tightly-coupled group discussions with a lot of back and forth.

It's like asking which is "better", the telephone or the newspaper? Which is "better", a DVD or a book? Those questions don't even really make sense on a fundamental level.

We need to learn how to use ALL of these things. Both the course I taught last summer and the course I'll be teaching in the spring use multiple modes of instruction and communication; they all work fine, just for different things. and the teaching methods which work in one may not work in another.

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Tony Hursh -
P.S. thanks so much for those reviews! I'll respond in depth the next time I get back to working on the book. smile
In reply to Bob Kaehms

by Tony Hursh -
Second, it fuels the value proposition of google, and other commercial services, and not the learning community involved.

Yes. It's surprising how many people are opposed to the "walled gardens" of institutional course management systems, yet see nothing wrong with handing over the work of their students to corporate entities in perpetuity (it's a really, really good idea to read the fine print on those terms of service, folks).

I'm sympathetic to the "walled garden" argument, actually - I'd like to see an "export all your work" button in Moodle -- but that doesn't mean I see Blogger, Google Apps, Ning, or any of the others as being any better in the long term.

In reply to Tony Hursh

by A. T. Wyatt -
You know, I did struggle with myself over intellectual property rights for my students and maintaining these institutional archives for long periods of time. I finally decided that (at least in one particular class), the students might be better served by using a 3rd party host where they retain the rights to their work (I read the user agreement!) but I can access it to grade it.

Once a colleague said to me that he thought that work turned in by students for his class should belong to him. I was astonished. And not in a good way.

I have heard people argue that work turned in by students should belong to the institution. But, with a couple of exceptions, I mostly disagree with that position. At least at my level (all my students are over 18) and I think that their work belongs to them. I just have the privilege of them sharing it with me as part of the learning process.
smile

So I would be greatly in favor of an export your work button in Moodle. File a feature request and let me know! I will go vote!

atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Bob Kaehms -
When I talk about knowledge management, it's not really in terms of ownership,
although that is important. It is more in terms of being able to manage, refine, and grow it in meaningful ways. Tools like moodle provide enough of a core
framework, that this knowledge management issue seems manageable. Not sure
you can get the same effect, if a school full of instructors have their students in
20-30 different locations.

In reply to Bob Kaehms

by Bob Kaehms -
Just as a short follow up, I am currently (between now and Dec 08) finishing a masters in education technology -trying to work though some of these issues in a moodle framework.

I'm currently looking for two specific groups of class instructors - high school algebra 1 instructors, and high school ap stats instructors. In exchange for trying to figure out some best practices for collaborative content creation, I will provide a sandbox moodle site, and a reference moodle site, and some level of technical support and moderation, to help develop the course. If it works, I'll find a way to make it self susstaining and provide the content to the community under a creative commons licenseing model. I'll also consider other domains, but those are the first two that I am currently tackling.

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Tony Hursh -
I have heard people argue that work turned in by students should belong to the institution.

Yes, I don't see any justification for that at all. An employer may own an employee's work in some cases, but they're paying for it. Students, on the other hand, are paying us. smile

So I would be greatly in favor of an export your work button in Moodle. File a feature request and let me know! I will go vote!

Done.

In reply to Tony Hursh

by A. T. Wyatt -
Done and commented.

atw