Sparkweb Jabber client block

Sparkweb Jabber client block

by Wayne Campbell -
Number of replies: 2

I know that as a matter of course, most don't appreciate ideas about new blocks, when the person making the suggestion is not a developer (as is the case right now), but I'm going to do it anyway because I think it would be an awesome block...

Those of you familar with Openfire server probably are aware of the sparkweb web based client.  This is a jabber complient web based IM platform that I think would be a awesome compliment to moodle.  I am aware of the MSG block, but I feel that it is an over complicated solution when the sparkweb client is available.

I personally don't care about whether the sparkweb and moodle share the user database, as far as I am concerned, my users can login to sparkweb seperately. 

All I would like to see is the Sparkweb client integrated into a block displaying the login screen and then after login diplaying the friends list and presence information.   Then if a user starts a IM session or conference with someone, have that displayed in the center of the screen between the side blocks (or as a popup window).  The sparkweb client is a Java / flash based web app and because of the dimensions of the page, someone would have to resize the login screen and the client/presence screen to fit in to a block.  Then the chat and/or conference rooms would have to be made to appear in between the blocks somehow (or as a popup).  The only other thing I would like to see is for it to be made available only to specific roles.

I am sure someone with a bit of know-how could do this in short order. 

If you are not familiar with sparkweb, you can download it here: http://www.igniterealtime.org/downloads/index.jsp

BTW..  I highly recommend Openfire IM server for all schools, even if it only for the teachers and staff.  It has been awesome tool for me and my staff since I implemented it earlier this year.  By extending it to Moodle and making it available only to specific roles, I can keep the IM platform completely shielded from the outside world while still giving my teachers the ability to IM from home or on the road..

Thanks for listening,

Wayne Campbell

USD447 Network Admin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wayne Campbell

Re: Sparkweb Jabber client block

by Seun Ojedeji -
This is quite and old post...but i also like to know how i could integrate openfire with moodle....yes i quite agree with you that open fire is good...we use it on our campus and the experience has been wonderful, the capability is more utilized when further integrate with RED5 plugin for video calls/conferencing.
I will appreciate any help on how to integrate openfire with moodle

Regards
In reply to Wayne Campbell

Re: Sparkweb Jabber client block

by Matthew Chojnowski -

Also very interested.  OpenFire and SparkWeb are very easy to install and use, but we need some devs to volunteer to create the Moodle tie-in, similar to the ones available for OpenMeetings, etc.