Beginner Moodle User

Beginner Moodle User

by Patty Weigand -
Number of replies: 6

Hi All,

I am in the process of developing my doctoral dissertation. I would like to develop a pilot online course for special education teachers' professional development in conducting a Functional Behavior Anaylsis for students who have interfering behaviors.

I welcome some advice regarding hardware/performance. My pilot project will have no more than 10 participants in the course. What kind of server should I explore if I am working from a local computer (mine)? It's just a short course, about 4 weeks.

Please feel free to provide links or advice which will help me establish my server needs.

Patty

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Patty Weigand

Re: Beginner Moodle User

by Robert Brenstein -
Pretty much any relatively modern computer with enough memory will do. In terms of OS, one of the Linux versions is most recommended, although for you OSX or even Windows will be okay.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Patty Weigand -

Hi, Robert,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm really, really green at this kind of stuff - does Moodle offer a server, and if so, would it suffice for my needs?

Patty

by Robert Brenstein -
I gather you are asking whether there are ready-to-use Moodle servers available. The answer is yes. You can check your local Moodle partners, companies which specialize in Moodle services. They are not the cheapest but offer turnkey solutions with full support. You can also get a hosting service which offers Moodle install (but no support) as part of their package. There are also inter-regional companies that offer Moodle-based services. If you search the forums, you find some discussions mentioning actual names.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Patty Weigand -

Hi, Robert,

Actually, what I was trying to ask is does Moodle provide (or have) a server I could use for a very short term need for the course I'll create with Moodle. Is Moodle just a course authoring tool or does it also provide a server for my course as well as support.

Patty

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.

by Pamela DeRossitte -
Hi Patty -

I am in a similar boat, but minus the PhD.
I am sure that your university will host the Moodle server software for you. Ask the IT admin in your department, or whoever keeps up the computers. This is what I am planning to do.

I have just a few days ago downloaded Moodle to my Mac laptop. After I get an example site, or "virtual school," working I plan to have the university host it, and give it a try.

I'd like to know how you're progressing~

PJD