Misunderstood raoming

Misunderstood raoming

by Heather P -
Number of replies: 4
Hello
I have set up my 15 Moodles to network with each other. I've made authenticated users have the right to roam.
I tested the roaming function and it didn't do what I thought it would.
I re-read the documentation and spotted this line:
'You should see the Network Servers block, and clicking on it you should go to MoodleB with a newly autocreated account. '
So basically my Moodles are doing exactly what it said they would, but I now realise that wasn't what I was hoping for!

This is where it gets complicated does the Moodle I've roamed to see that autocreated account as a completely different account?
I have people with accounts in several Moodles that currently have to keep logging in (using LDAP) to each of the different moodles and my thought had been that this network thing would stop that. Is there anyway to attach the auto-created account to the account that the person already had in the second moodle?
I'm not sure I've explained that terrribly well.
Thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Heather P

Re: Misunderstood raoming

by Nigel McNie -
Hi Heather,

The autocreated account is completely separate from any existing accounts that existed in the Moodle you roamed to before. The idea is, you can set up roaming between any two Moodles, and not have to worry about username clashes. E.g. if there is a 'bob' on both Moodles, then 'bob' from Moodle A can roam to Moodle B and get an account, without somehow ending up in Moodle B 'bob's account.

It sounds like you explicitly want this to happen though. Which in your case is fine because you know that if two users have the same username, they are the same person.

In Mahara, we came across the problem and added a configuration parameter to allow "users unique by username". Maybe Moodle needs a similar setting too?

I guess you should file a bug on the tracker asking about it. I'll try remember to poke PeterB, current MNET whiz, about it when he gets back from holiday on Wednesday.
In reply to Nigel McNie

by Heather P -
Hi
thanks, that does explain why it was done and that helps a lot. Not sure how to file a bug or how to word it to get the gist across because it does actually do what it was meant to do and I think I actually want it to do something else.
Thanks
In reply to Heather P

by Lars Anderson -
Hi Heather

We have the same need for roaming as you had. Did you get any further with it?

Lars
In reply to Lars Anderson

by Hubert Chathi -
My guess is that you would need to modify auth/mnet/auth.php:confirm_mnet_token() to fetch/create users using the local mnet host ID instead of the remote host ID, and modify either lib/moodlelib.php:get_complete_user_data to ignore the $mnethostid parameter, or auth/mnet/land.php to call get_complete_user_data without the $mnethostid parameter. I haven't tried it, but that's where I'd start looking.