Databases: CVS import or FLAT Files ??

Databases: CVS import or FLAT Files ??

by Manuel NT -
Number of replies: 4

When I use FLAT Files to enrol a user in a  course,  the  user/course mus  exist  or  the moodle  create then  for me? What  diference real between  CVS and FLAT file ?  I thinking  about a solution to take some informations to external database  with SQL and with  php scripts  create  FLAT FILES or CVS to import end  enrol users on moodle (external database  plugin not  work directly  becouse my external database is to complex and can,t be modified) ;  I wnat  need what you think about the  goals into to methods;

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Manuel NT

Re: Databases: CVS import or FLAT Files ??

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Manuel - I'm not sure what you mean by a FLAT file; however, when using a CSV (comma separated values) text file, as detailed in Upload_users you can include course enrollment data; however, the courses need to exist first. Currently there is no way to Mass Upload courses but it is on my to do list. Unfortunately I am back in school and in the midst of a very busy semester. I'm hoping things will be easier after February. I may have some time around Christmas to play with some code but it is unlikely I will have much time before then. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Manuel NT -
FLAT FILE is a enrolment plugin available in moodle 1.9.2 , this works like CVS file , but , I don,t understand if the user and course must exist and then just enrol ; But it,s Ok , so If I use CVS to upload user I just create a course before , the user will be created if not exist?

In reply to Manuel NT

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
If I understand you correctly, yes, the CSV (comma separated values) file can be used to create new users. As you say, if the course exists then the enrollment will take place if that data is included in the file. Keep in mind that CVS (concurrent versioning software) refers to something completely different. I've not tested if adding the enrollment information when users and courses both exist. I would think in theory the enrollment information should be added as part of the updating the user but it is worth testing to verify. If it does not, just add an issue to the tracker and I will look into it. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Flat file is jargon for just a file, as opposed to a database.