Meta Courses

Meta Courses

by Melanie Scott -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Maybe I have misunderstood the meta course function...but here is what I am trying to do.

I have a group of people who need training on several subjects.  Other people may need to take some of the subjects but not the entire group--so I create separate courses for each topic, with each topic containing several activities and assignments. 

I would like to see a combined gradebook for all (let say 10) courses to demonstrate the group completed their training requirements and I thought that was the purpose of the meta courses but it isn't working that way. 

Also, I would like to be able to enroll people in the meta course and auto create enrollment in the child courses, but it seems to work opposite to that. 

Am I expecting the program to do too much/misunderstanding this feature?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Melanie Scott

Re: Meta Courses

by Michael Penney -
Courses that are enrolled in metacourses send their enrollments to the meta-course, but not currently the grades*.

This means that a course could be enrolled in several meta-courses.

Meta-courses don't send any data to courses that are enrolled in the.

* David Mudrick has just released a 'sub-course' module to do this, on a quick glance it seems to fit your use case:

I would like to see a combined gradebook for all (let say 10) courses to demonstrate the group completed their training requirements and I thought that was the purpose of the meta courses but it isn't working that way.
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=104541#p467841
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Subcourse_module

by Robert Brenstein -
> Also, I would like to be able to enroll people in the meta course and auto create enrollment in the child courses, but it seems to work opposite to that.

This should work except that the common course has to be a normal course and each of the child courses should be a meta course with the common course as its enrolled course.

by Tamar Bacon -
I have a similar issue but I would like people to be able to pay for individual "subjects" as well as to purchase the whole set of subjects. I thought it would work to have subjects 1-10 be a metacourse and have each individual subject as a child which would allow students to register and pay either for 1-10 or each subject individually, but it doesn't look like you can enroll directly into a metacourse. It seems that the sub-course module will break up a course, but not for registration purposes.

Any suggestions on a work-around would be greatly appreciated!