eMail block add-on: Installing eMail on 1.8

eMail block add-on: Installing eMail on 1.8

by Daniel Auger -
Number of replies: 27

I have installed the eMail block on 1.8 using the link on  the Moodle plug-ins page to the 1.8 download. The install file says to install on 1.7 only however....????? Do I have the right version?

Also, once installed, clicking on Settings in the block admin page does not bring up any settings to edit, the page is blank...

When I add the email block to the main page and click on Go to Inbox, nothing comes up, the View.php page is blank also.

Have I installed it properly and do I have the right version (file name of the download is eMail.tar.tar.

Thanks,

Daniel

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Daniel Auger

Re: Installing on 1.8

by Toni Mas -
Hi Daniel,

Thank, I can fix two bugs sonrojado

In this moments I don't update eMail ... tomorrow apply the patch to solve this bug.

Rgs,
Toni
In reply to Toni Mas

by Rikky Free -
Hi Toni,
I am having a similar problem as Daniel. There are no settings to edit on the setting page but when I click General Inbox i get the following 2 error messages.

Warning: require_once(../../config.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in ...moodle\email\view.php on line 16

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '../../config.php' (include_path='.;C:\php5\pear') in ...moodle\email\view.php on line 16

I am very new to this and would appreciate the help.

Thanks!
Rikky
In reply to Rikky Free

by Toni Mas -
Hi,

I've solve any bugs. Thanks for your aid.

Download v1.0.1

Changelog:
  • Don't allow autologin guest.
  • Fix bug on view.php. Solve include_once when include general config file.
  • Fix bug when add br html stament, add "\n", so that the code is readable when you aren't using the html editor.
  • Apply changes reported by Eric, and reorder all tags.
  • Add open and closed icons.

Please, update your version.

Rgs,
Toni

In reply to Toni Mas

by Toni Mas -
Hi,

Taken care of in IE, because selecting the users to send mail, do not work correctly.

I'm working in it.

Rgs,
Toni
In reply to Toni Mas

by Toni Mas -
Hi,

Solve this problems, now eMail supports practically all browsers.
Download

bye,
Toni
In reply to Toni Mas

by Jerry Ostrove -
The download link seems to be void.  Does anyone have the correct link to download the files?  Thank You!
In reply to Jerry Ostrove

by Eric Merrill -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It will appear that way until it is approved. Only the owner (Toni) can see it for now.

-eric
In reply to Eric Merrill

by Daniel Auger -

Toni,

Mil gracias por su ayuda y su accion rapida! Muy impresionante!

Eric, thanks for your help and improvements also!

Looking forward to seeing the new and improved (and approved) eMail module.

Cheers,

Daniel

In reply to Eric Merrill

by Toni Mas -
Hi Eric,

I don't understand it, I can see without no problem. Somebody can give an answer to this problem?

While we hoped, you can download from here.

Rgs,
Toni
In reply to Toni Mas

by Eric Merrill -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Because you are the owner of the DB entry, you can see and modify it. Whenever you make a modification, it is not visible to everyone else until an admin approves it.

-Eric
In reply to Toni Mas

by Ann Adamcik -
Toni,

Thanks for posting an alternate link!

Unfortunately, I'm not quite able to get email to work...

First, when I install it, I get the following message after setting up the tables: Could not set up email_list capabilities!

I went ahead and added the eMail list block to the front page and then to a course. In both cases, when I click on the General inbox link and then go to compose a new message, there are no entries in the contacts list. There is also nothing in the Courses box.

Any ideas what has gone wrong?

Moodle 1.8+
Solaris 10/sparc
CoolStack 1.0 (Apache 2.0.58, MySql 5.0.22, PHP 5.1.4)

Many Thanks!
-Ann

p.s. Also, when I delete the block (from Site Administration->Modules->Blocks), it does not remove the mdl_email_* tables from the database, nor does it remove the email entries in mdl_log_display.

In reply to Ann Adamcik

by Eric Merrill -
I had to delete all the older email module stuff to get it to work (the activity, the block, and any left over tables).

There is the link for the 'general mailbox' which seems to be useless. But once you are in there, you can click on the left for specific courses. Then the contacts should work.

Ive changed the block on my site so that it always shows the course mailbox, even if there are no new mails. Im also going to remove the 'general' link.

-Eric
In reply to Eric Merrill

by Ann Adamcik -
Thanks, Eric! I cleared out the old junk and reinstalled. I was logged in as the admin, so I didn't have any courses on the left. I guess the admin doesn't get a mailbox!

-Ann
In reply to Ann Adamcik

by Eric Merrill -
It does, but the admin isnt officially in any course, unless you add them (they can be added as a student, teacher, etc if you want)
In reply to Toni Mas

by Eric Merrill -
Im not sure if you were meaning to or not, but the new en/en_utf8 lang file didnt make it into this package.

Also, a bug for you (I dont have a solution yet, but im looking at it):
When the block is installed on the myMoodle page, it should show all email accounts. Because the myMoodle page doesn't have a siteid of 1, it doesn't work. I think we can determine that we are on the myMoodle page by looking at the context/roles, but that's what Im looking into.

Also, personally, I think that the block should list accounts even if their are no new emails, instead of just putting up that text. I think that it's a little bit confusing (with the 'general' link below), and it doesn't allow you to directly access a courses email if there is no new email (instead you have to click on 'general' then the course)

-Eric
In reply to Toni Mas

by Eric Merrill -
There is also an issue with the general scheme of the new email system. There is no way (that I see) for a course to not have email. They can just not add the block, but if a student goes into their email, they will still see that course, and can send emails within it. This is a problem for use, because not all faculty members will want to use this email system.

It is possible that I will fork off your last version where it was still a module and maintain it separately (still trying to keep all the bug fixes and feature additions), because I think it works much better for us under the old system. But ill wait and see if we can come up with some other solutions smile
In reply to Eric Merrill

by Toni Mas -
Hi Eric,

I have been valuing your commentaries, and am going to maintain the eMail without a module, but I will need your support to be making compatible the integral system and module.

Toni
In reply to Toni Mas

Email Issues - 1.8 version

by Ann Adamcik -
Hi,

Here are a few issues with the 1.8 version:

1. If I reply or reply all without making any changes to the contact list, the reply is not sent - the form just gets cleared, wiping out my reply. I must bring up the contact list and select someone in order to send a reply.

2. I agree with Eric that the email list block in a course should always show the mailbox for that course - it currently only does so if there are unread emails. If there are no emails, one must click 'General inbox' and then go to the course.

3. On the front page, and the myMoodle page, the email list block should list the user's course mailboxes. In fact, I can't really think why we want the 'General inbox' in the first place - we don't seem to be able to send or receive mail from it...

4. Sometimes, the email list block reports that there are unread emails when there really aren't. I haven't come up with a way to reproduce this one yet - it seems somewhat random.

I can look into some of these over the next week.

-Ann

In reply to Ann Adamcik

Re: Email Issues - 1.8 version

by Toni Mas -
Hi Ann,

All bugs, except last one, are resolv.

While (admin) approve the changes, you have download the lastest version from here.

Changelog are here.

Please, you update to the latest version.

New functions:

• Preferences of users: Active an eMail alert, that it warns of new mails.

Drop functions:
  • Capabilities of users: While I'm rethinking them, drop it.

Rgs,
Toni
In reply to Ann Adamcik

by Ann Adamcik -
I've found a few more issues. The attached patch fixes some of them.

-Ann
  • If I delete an unread message it does get moved to the trash, but the email list block will continue to show that I have an unread message. It looks like the deleted message is still in the mdl_email_send table, with 'readed'=0. Even if I empty the trash folder, the message stays in the table and shows up as unread. I'm thinking that when a message is moved to the trash, it should be marked as read, and when the trash folder is emptied, the message should be removed from the email_send table. Fixed -see attached lib.php patch.
  • If I am in a course mailbox and I create a new subfolder or rename a folder, 'continue' will take me to the general mailbox, and I must then click on the course mailbox to get back to where I was. This is likely to be very confusing to users! The user should get taken back into the course mailbox. Fixed - see attached patches to lib.php, view.php, folder.php.
  • The edit folder form only shows first--level subfolders. E.g. if I have Inbox->foo->bar, the edit form will only show foo. I can't delete it because it has a subfolder (bar), but there's no way to delete or rename the sub-folder bar. Fixed - see attached lib.php patch.
  • Forwarding a message with attachments doesn't seem to work. There are actually 2 problems I found:
    • If there are multiple attachments, the email_get_attachments function is incorrectly returning an array of pointers to the last file in the list. Fixed - see attached lib.php patch.
    • The second problem is that the interface doesn't include the attachments to be forwarded. The email_forward function does check for attachments and creates checkbox fields for the attachments, but these fields are not being used.
  • If I save a draft and then later view the message, the 'To:', 'CC:' and 'BCC' textfields do not show, and if I press 'send' it returns to a blank form with error=2 set in the url. I also noticed that the draft view includes sendmail.html, while the other message views use the mail_edit_form class.
  • If I compose a message and do not select any users to send it to, it just reloads a blank edit page. I don't get any error message, and my message text is lost. Instead, I should get an error and any text in the subject or body should remain in the form.
  • If I search for a message in a different folder, the mailbox heading doesn't change. For instance, if I am in the Inbox and I search for a message in the Trash, when the results come up the heading still says 'Mailbox: Inbox' - it should change to 'Mailbox: Trash' so I know which folder I am currently looking at. It would also be nice if the folder names on the left were highlighted in some way to further indicate which folder is being viewed.

In reply to Ann Adamcik

by Toni Mas -
Hi Ann,

Thanks for your work on eMail integration.

View changelog and latest version is aviable.

I'm working for resolve the next problems:
  • If I compose a message and do not select any users to send it to, it just reloads a blank edit page. I don't get any error message, and my message text is lost. Instead, I should get an error and any text in the subject or body should remain in the form.
  • If I search for a message in a different folder, the mailbox heading doesn't change. For instance, if I am in the Inbox and I search for a message in the Trash, when the results come up the heading still says 'Mailbox: Inbox' - it should change to 'Mailbox: Trash' so I know which folder I am currently looking at. It would also be nice if the folder names on the left were highlighted in some way to further indicate which folder is being viewed.

Rgs,
Toni

In reply to Toni Mas

by Ana Thompson -
Gracias por tu ayuda en la actualización de el módulo eMail. Te lo agradecemos mucho big grin

Ana
In reply to Daniel Auger

by Rod Spears -
I downloaded and installed the latest version today. I am running 1.8.2 production server.

It installed with no problems but when I go to the Admin page and click settings, there is nothing to set up. The inbox link shows up in the course but when I click on the inbox I get an Internal Server Error page.

I have read through this forum and could not find that problem for anyone else.

What is causing this?
In reply to Rod Spears

by James F -
I am having the same issue ... did anyone reply to this???
In reply to Rod Spears

by Toni Mas -
Hi Rod,

I don't understand your problem.

This error apears when you go to eMail list block settings?
By precaution, You download the lastest version, since I apply important changes.

Toni