First of all, I want to make clear that the section concept here is not the same as the course section in the moodle system. So, do not confuse it.
As you may know, the courses in most universities are organized in a section/subsection manner. Here is a scenario to make it clear;
comp147 (a course)
- comp147.01 (first section of the course comp147, Teacher1 gives the lectures)
-- comp147.01/011 (first subsection of the section comp147.01, Assistant1 gives the classes)
-- comp147.01/012 (second subsection, Assistant2 gives the classes)
- comp147.02 (second section of the course comp147, Teacher2 gives the lectures)
-- comp147.02/021 (first subsection of the section comp147.02, Assistant3 gives the classes)
-- comp147.02/022 (second subsection, Assistant4 gives the classes)
Here are the rules;
- subsections are monitored from assistants, sections are monitored from teachers, and the course (lets say) monitored by the head of department or one of the teachers which is the course coordinator.
- students are enrolled to subsections (not to the course and not to the sections)
- any student enrolled to a subsection, is automatically enrolled to the appropriate section and the course itself (i.e. if a student is enrolled to comp147.02/022 he/she is automatically enrolled to comp147.02 and com147. Thus, Assistant4, Teacher2 and the head of department (or the course coordinator can see/monitor him/her).
- If a material is added to comp147 is can be seen from all sections and subsection (i.e from com147.01, com147.02, com147.01/011, comp147.01/012, comp147.02/021, com147.02/022).
- If a material is added to a section (lets say comp147.01) it can only be seen in it's subsections (i.e in only comp147.01/011 and comp147.01/012).
- If a material is added to a subsection, it can only be seen in itself not in any other subsection.
- At the end of the term (semester) the grades should be summed up for the whole course, or for a specific section (which includes several subsections), or for a specific subsection.
We are looking for a way to manage our courses in such a manner using moodle.
Why meta course does not help us?
- you can not assign a meta course as a child course of another meta course! (you may consider comp147.01 and comp147.02 as child courses of comp147, but moodle does not allow you to mark them all as meta courses).
- If you want make a material visible in all child courses, you have to add it to the meta course, and give links to all child courses. Lots of work!
- ... (to be added after the full investigation of meta course concept)
So, any ideas how to do it in moodle?
Hi There, I'm just wondering if you ever found a solution? I'm faced with the same challenge.