Could we split the SCORM forum into a few more forums?

Could we split the SCORM forum into a few more forums?

by J Rogers -
Number of replies: 4
This forum has a lot of different uses: troubleshooting, bug reporting, Q&A, development, etc. I've found it difficult to sift through bug reports to find information that I really want to know.

Perhaps it is time to split the Forum into two or three areas? I was thinking of:

- Effective uses of SCORM in Moodle - How you use SCORM in your operation; use cases; Tips and pointers. Good posts get incorporated into the Wiki on a determined schedule.

- Questions and Answers - For people who need a particular quesiton answer. Good questions would get folded into the FAQ on a detemined schedule.

- Bugs: Report, Discuss, Troubleshoot - For when SCORM doesn't work exactly right.

What do you all think?
Jeremy
Average of ratings: -
In reply to J Rogers

Re: Could we split the SCORM forum into a few more forums?

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
hmm.... not sure about this. One of the strengths of Moodle is that everyone (teachers,admins,developers,students) interacts in the same "space" - this builds a really good community feeling. Also, multiple forums for the same moodle component is likely to cause problems too! - there are a large number of forums in the using moodle course already, and a large number of scorm related posts get posted elsewhere to start with, especially the general problems forum.

imagine if every moodle component listed on the site was split into 3 forums for each component - that's going to make it that much harder for new people to find the right forum to post into!

you may want to check out the moodle.org design forum:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=7135

there's always a lot of conversation going on about how we can improve the information provided in these forums, and how best to structure it!

that's mtcw!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by J Rogers -
I wasn't thinking of applying it to every forum, just this one, as there are a disproportionate number of bug reports and troubleshooting.

What I'd love to see more of is "What works for me" kind of posts, to see how people have gotten SCORM to work - the tools, workarounds, etc. Is there some way to delineate between the bug reports and "making this work" posts?
In reply to J Rogers

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
part of the reason there's a lot of traffic on this forum is that there hasn't been a lot of support for SCORM for a while - the past few months Piers and I have picked it up, and have been working on bugfixing etc. - I expect/hope the bug reports/troubleshooting issues will settle down in the next month or so as the SCORM module becomes more stable, and as the debugging tools become more useful....

Also - once we do this for one forum... well, I'm guessing lots of other people will ask about it for other forums....

In fact.... as this very discussion is related to the "design" of moodle.org (specifically the SCORM module....) perhaps it's better suited in the Moodle.org design forum wink
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Jeremy,

I'm glad you find that the SCORM module forum has lots of different uses. smile

Rather than splitting it though, I would encourage you to use the SCORM module documentation for describing effective uses of SCORM in Moodle and the SCORM FAQ for questions and answers. If you come across an interesting discussion, you can always simply add a link to it in the "See also" section of a documentation page.

I'd also encourage you to use the tracker for reporting bugs, as the tracker functionality enables bugs to be easily managed. This is necessary when you have a long list of bugs needing fixing. wink

PS Just moving this discussion to the moodle.org design forum as suggested by Dan...