Problem with WIRIS installation

Problem with WIRIS installation

by Jaswant Tak -
Number of replies: 11
Hi Moodlers,

I have installed WIRIS plugin for my moodle 1.9.2. I have gone through the entire process of installation i.e. to first copy all the files to exact location and than through browser I have typed http://mydomain/moodle/pluginwiris/install.php

for an automatic installation.
During the installation process at the end step I have not got any confirmation like WIRIS is installed or not. I m just getting the WIRIS logo on screen.

Now the problem is that wiris is embaded with moodle default editor i.e. I can create the equation with WIRIS but when I click the OK button in java applet its not able to render the image. That is the image of the equation is not being displayed. I am getting this image in firfox ee759d7983b6fa23bb9f86b8f625029d.png. When I again click the same image the formula is renedred in editor. So i think installation is ok but the image rendering issue is creating proble.

Please help me guys What should I do? Or what I have skipped?

Thanks,
Jaswant
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jaswant Tak

Re: Problem with WIRIS installation

by Juan Lao Tebar -
Hi Jaswant,

I think that installer stops its execution because an error occurs. The most probable reason is that PHP haven't necessary permissions to edit moodle files.

You should give edit permissions to PHP.

Also, if you want to see more information about the error, you can set ERROR_DISPLAY_LEVEL to E_ALL on line 6 of ./pluginwiris/install/kernel/miscellaneus/constants.php

For example: now we have this line:
define('ERROR_DISPLAY_LEVEL', 0);

Set it to:
define('ERROR_DISPLAY_LEVEL', E_ALL);

Save changes and try to install again.

Greetings.
Juan Lao Tebar.
In reply to Juan Lao Tebar

by paulo carrasco -
Hi, I saw the problem that you had. I also have the same problem.

I tried to make a automatic instalation but at some step the wiris instalation stoped with de following error:

"
Error while downloading http://www.wiris.com/download/editor/download?file=wiriseditor.zip. Are you connected to internet? Do you have write permissions on ./editor/jar? "

I have write permission on that folder and also internet connection.

So I aborted the automatic instalation and started a manual instalation.

I followed all the steps:

1. After having extracted the WIRIS plugin archive copy the pluginwiris directory into the Moodle web directory
2. Then copied the JAR file of the WIRIS Editor wiriseditor.jar into the directory moodle/pluginwiris/editor/jar
3. Copied the wiris directory from pluginwiris/install/filter/ to moodle/filter
4. activated the WIRIS filter in the Moodle administration
5. edited moodle/lib/weblib.php with the proposed modifications.
6. used the default config for imageserverhost:
$CFG->wirisformulaeditorenabled=true;
$CFG->wirisimageservicehost='services.wiris.com';
$CFG->wirisimageserviceport=80;
$CFG->wirisimageservicepath='/formula/render';

After this the Wiris editor shows in the html editor and it works in edition mode, but when I finish editing an equation (pressing ok on the plugin) the respective image dont show. sad

Please, I do apreciate some help here....

Best regards,

Paulo Carrasco
In reply to paulo carrasco

by Ramon Eixarch -
Hi Paulo,

regarging the automatic installer.When we say: 'Do you have write permissions on ./editor/jar? ' the sentece should really be 'Does your Apache user have write permissions on ./editor/jar ?' Your Apache user is the trying to copy a file downloaded from the Internet.

Have you had a look at the test page ?
../pluginwiris/test.php
can you see the formulas appear there?

You can send us a private message with your Moodle URL and we can have a closer look.

by Jaswant Tak -
Hey Paulo,

The images would never be created because of WIRIS is not free. I have talked with the concern person. Actually WIRIS creates image using a service which is running at there server service.wiris.com And that service checks for the domain name, for localhost I think they allow. So images would only be generated at localhost but not at the live server.

Regards,
Jaswant
In reply to Jaswant Tak

by Ramon Eixarch -
Hi Jaswant and Paulo,

we allow any server to connect to WIRIS images service located at services.wiris.com . It is a full demo. We simply keep track of the usage, by default we let any domain to contect to the service.

by Juan Lao Tebar -
Please, check your server internet connection (check if the server can download extern files through HTTP).

Your server needs this connection to create new images through WIRIS image service (at wiris.com).

Finally, the installer fails when your server is downloading the Java editor (pluginwiris.zip that contains editor.jar) also from wiris.com. I think the reason is that you have some PHP functions disabled, but I'm not sure (follow the steps that I said here: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=104583#p461876).

by paulo carrasco -
I edited the php files in wiris automatic installation to show all the errors generated in the installation process (0 to E_ALL) and the result was this:

"
Warning: file_get_contents() [function.file-get-contents]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/apoiocur/public_html/pluginwiris/install/kernel/miscellaneus/functions.php on line 54

Warning: file_get_contents(http://www.wiris.com/download/editor/download?file=wiriseditor.zip) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/apoiocur/public_html/pluginwiris/install/kernel/miscellaneus/functions.php on line 54
Error while downloading http://www.wiris.com/download/editor/download?file=wiriseditor.zip. Are you connected to internet? Do you have write permissions on ./editor/jar?

If you want to install Plugin WIRIS manually, see our manual.

"

I'm using a www.3ix.org server to host my moodle server.

thanks in advance again

PAulo Carrasco

by Juan Lao Tebar -
Hi Paulo,

We have fixed your problem in our new version of Plugin WIRIS.

You can download and install the new version from www.wiris.com/moodle/

by Sharon Goodson -
Has anyone experienced an issue with Wiris images rendering in answers for multiple choice?

When creating the answer to a multiple choice, you have the "Answer" text box and the HTML box. After creating the image in the HTML box, the only way (so far that we can found) to get the answer to appear is to copy/paste part of the image code up to and ending with /math»

We are using the wiris server, and we have quizzes set to appear in secure windows (though the problem occurs in preview/creation modes as well).

Is this expected behavior or do I have something weird going on again...(no, don't tell me *lol*)?

Thanks!
In reply to Sharon Goodson

by Ramon Eixarch -
Sharon,

there is nothing weird happening in your server.

Multiple choice answers don't offer the HTML editor (at least in version 1.8 and 1.9). Despite that you can write HTML inside them and it is correctly intepreted. For example, write '<b>hello</b> world'. Hence, if you copy the MathML code of the image (ending with /math» as you say) the image appears.

I guess that the HTML editor is include in Moodle 2.0 answer for multiple choice, we have not been able to test it yet.
In reply to Ramon Eixarch

by Sharon Goodson -
Thanks! At least we can still have it render in multiple choice questions. I am so looking forward to Moodle 2!