Feature request: knowledge building

Feature request: knowledge building

by Teemu Leinonen -
Number of replies: 18
Hi all,

I am pretty novice with Moodle, though I have been following the development already from the early years. Now I have spend a little more time with Moodle and been very impressed. What I have found the most fascinating is the flexibility an easy configurability of the software. It is very much something for all.

However, what I think Moodle is missing is a “knowledge building” - tool. I think this is a little odd as Moodle is called to be designed for social constructivist learning.

The idea of knowledge building is well documented in number of scientific articles published by the CSCL (computer supported collaborative learning) research community. The basic idea of knowledge building is to engage and support students to carry out discourse that is characteristic of scientific and or expert practice.

The process of knowledge building can be supported with software that is guiding students to “produce” knowledge that is meaningful and valuable for the process. The process itself is trying to simulate the working process of scientific research groups and or expert groups.

In most of the knowledge building tools there are “knowledge types” that are scaffolding students when doing contribution to the discussions of the community. The contributions of the students (and the teacher, too) are saved in a shared database, which the participants can afterwards study, reorganize, evaluate and build above. The knowledge types used are helping participants in this activity, too. The knowledge type are used to (1) guide students' working in the discussion group (scaffolding), and (2) to structure participants contributions for further use (knowledge management).

To the software called Fle3 (http://fle3.uiah.fi) we have developed a knowledge building tool and several ready-made knowledge type sets. Easy way to get the idea of the tool is to have a look of the screenshots:

http://fle3.uiah.fi/screen_shots/Pages/Image2.html

http://fle3.uiah.fi/screen_shots/Pages/Image3.html

http://fle3.uiah.fi/screen_shots/Pages/Image4.html

http://fle3.uiah.fi/screen_shots/Pages/Image12.html

Important feature in the knowledge building tool is the possibility to design new knowledge type sets to scaffold different kind of processes. For Fle3 we have sets for progressive inquiry learning, design thinking and for writing learning diaries and users can edit and create new ones inside Fle3 and export and import them from one Fle3 to another.

I think we need a knowledge building –tool in Moodle. What do you think?

Unfortunately Fle3 is written in python for Zope, and I am not familiar with PHP. If there are someone interested in to develop knowledge building -learning activity module to Moodle, I am happy to help with the conceptual design.

After getting the knowledge building tool ready for the Moodle, we could have a look of the other tool of Fle3 - the Jamming smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Teemu Leinonen

Re: Feature request: knowledge building

by Tom Murdock -
Interesting ideas, Teemu.

Looking through your screenshots I was initially confused because the first shots looked very similar to our forum module. But the later shots indicated some organizational principles in FLE3 that seemed to focus student thinking about certain topics.

If I'm correct, you are suggesting that when a student thinks through an issue or problem, it is sometimes helpful to sort this knowledge into certain organizing principles. So, for example, a student may want to evaluate some information (and might need some organizational prompts to do so). Or a student might want to summarize an idea or test it against scientific method, etc...

In my mind, these are similar to rhetorical strategies for parsing ideas and focusing language. I'm having trouble imagining a module, per se, that offers this kind of structured experience, though I am sure it is possible.

A while back, many of us were interested in a forms module which would allow teachers to create fields of information that could be sorted in flexible ways (kind of like a Moodle-based Filemaker Pro database interface). I think if we had such a module, you could easily build in this kind of functionality.

I wonder, though, if we really need data stored differently and separately, or if something more superficial (like HTML/table formatting) might serve the purpose. For example, what if a student could leaf through a series of templated formats (like choosing a powerpoint slide), that could be pasted into his response (whether that response is in a journal, or a forum discussion, or a wiki, or whatever). Maybe the template helps him organize ideas into a summary "knowledge-type" or a brainstorm "knowledge-type." Let's say a student needs to create a thesis statement. He would choose the "thesis" template, and fill in the corresponding blanks for the affirmitive argument versus the status quo notion, etc.. Art Lader and I have kicked this idea around a bit, but it hasn't found a form yet. Frankly, I'm not sure how it could work if the HTML editor were turned off, though I think it would be quite easy to insert the HTML formatting code, just as we now insert smilies into our text.

Anyhow, I may have digressed form your initial idea, but I agree that teaching students to think well includes sharing certain rhetorical forms or organizational structures so that they can structure their ideas.

I don't believe this kind of experience is missing in Moodle (you can do similar tricks with forums, wikis, glossaries, etc.), but we could always work to make the experience more prominent and functional for teachers.

best,
Tom

In reply to Tom Murdock

by Teemu Leinonen -

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your reply. Comments below.

You wrote:
Looking through your screenshots I was initially confused because the first shots looked very similar to our forum module. But the later shots indicated some organizational principles in FLE3 that seemed to focus student thinking about certain topics.

You are right the Knowledge Building tool is a discussion forum, but still there are remarkable differences that are more than just semantic. The main difference is the use of the knowledge types within the notes. The knowledge types are guiding students to have meaningful discourse. The knowledge types are there to support students to, for instance, to present problems, own hypothesis, scientific theories and come-up with summaries. Please, have a look again the following screenshot:

http://fle3.uiah.fi/screen_shots/Pages/Image3.html

In this one you see that when writing something to the forum the user is asked to define her input to choose what kind of knowledge she is going to contribute to the knowledge building.

And in the next screenshot:

http://fle3.uiah.fi/screen_shots/Pages/Image4.html

In here the user is writing her contribution, and gets some tips for writing a proper My Explanation note (note the Flea asks). Behind a link there is also a short help text explaining what My Explanation means. I copy-pasted it here, too:

My Explanation presents your own conceptions (hypothesis, theory, explanation, interpretation) about the problems presented by yourself or some of your fellow students. "My Explanation" is not necessarily well defined or articulated early in the inquiry process. However, it is crucial that the explication of your explanations evolves during the process and your working theories become more refined and developed.

If I'm correct, you are suggesting that when a student thinks through an issue or problem, it is sometimes helpful to sort this knowledge into certain organizing principles. So, for example, a student may want to evaluate some information (and might need some organizational prompts to do so). Or a student might want to summarize an idea or test it against scientific method, etc...

Yes. Or actually the idea of the knowledge types (also called thinking types) is to scaffold student to work according to certain model, for instance the way of scientific discourse. When students are asked to contribute certain type of knowledge to the discussion they start to think according to these categories.

The point is that the knowledge types are used in a discourse carried out with others - knowledge building is always a collaborative process.

To the knowledge type sets you can also include rules, such as "this type can folloe this".

In my mind, these are similar to rhetorical strategies for parsing ideas and focusing language. I'm having trouble imagining a module, per se, that offers this kind of structured experience, though I am sure it is possible.

How I see it is, that the knowledge building could be an extension of the current forum of the Moodle, still totally separate learning activity tool.

It may look trivial, but actually there is quite a lot of things different in the knowledge building if you compare it to Moodles forum.

A while back, many of us were interested in a forms module which would allow teachers to create fields of information that could be sorted in flexible ways (kind of like a Moodle-based Filemaker Pro database interface). I think if we had such a module, you could easily build in this kind of functionality.

Yes, for sure. I guess the greatest challenge is the user interface.

I don't believe this kind of experience is missing in Moodle (you can do similar tricks with forums, wikis, glossaries, etc.), but we could always work to make the experience more prominent and functional for teachers.

You are absolutely right. The knowledge building is in the first place a pedagogical model and way of thinking and working in a learning community.

You can carry out knowledge building with paper and pen, or with sand and stick. Still some tools are designed to carry out some specific task and often for this reason are more useful in that task than some other tools.

What it comes to Moodle I think there are so many other great tools that would support the collaborative knowledge building activity, such as calendar, glossaries, time/theme/group based organizing of the course, etc. These are all great and something we are missing in the Fle3.

For this reason I would like to see knowledge building tool in Moodle, too.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by W Page -
Hi Teemu,

I am not a programmer, but, I think your idea as you originally posted it is a goodl one and a good one for Moodle.  I was unable to get the first two web pages to display in that post but I was able to see the last two.  While I was reading your post and looking at the images all I could think about were kids who had some difficulty reading (such as language learners) and how helpful this tool would  be inside and outside of the classroom.  Sentence construction and written conveyance of ideas is often a problem for these students.  What you describe is process driven for the student and provides an easier way to review and correct their progress for the teacher/instructor.  Yes, one could use the forums but your suggestion  provides a different "flavor" of discussion.

I just want to say  I would like to see this tool offered in Moodle.  I think many Moodlers cauld make significant use of it along with the other superb Moodle learning tools.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Teemu Leinonen -

Thanks  WP1.

You can see all the screen shots in:

http://fle3.uiah.fi/screen_shots/

And try the demo in:

http://fle3.uiah.fi/demo.html

Actuallly knowledge building is originally designed for class room use. Also in many cases the use of the shared database have totallly changed the power structure of the class. Also student studying in a foreign language have found it very empowering. Use of the database gives you more time to formulate your point than a traditional class room discussion or an oral examination.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Nice to see you here, Teemu - welcome!   smile

I've always been impressed with the progressive inquiry feature in Fle3 and had hoped some of that might get into Moodle eventually.

My time is short right now, but there are two aspects of future development which come to my mind and could contribute towards this sort of thing.

The first involves improvements to the forum to allow more meta-tagging of messages.  Forums can define scales and these can be applied to each message.  Now, we already have rating scales for peer group evaluation of messages, and these are useful, but I'm talking about something definitive. 

One of my most-wanted uses for these are to tag discussions so that we can have bug tracker forums inside Moodle (to replace the abysmal separate system we have now).  Issues can be moved between forums, tagged and sorted.  This of course, will have a lot of educational uses, some of which seem similar to what you are doing in Fle3.

The second future development is what a lot of people here call "learning outcomes" or "learning goals".  These are statements that are decided for a whole course, and the idea is that each activity (and later individual posts, blogs etc) can be explicitly related to these goals.  This would help structure what people do in all the activitities.

How do these fit in with your ideas on knowledge building?  Do you think they are compatible or were you thinking of something much more specific?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Teemu Leinonen -
Thanks Martin - Good to be here smile

Martin wrote:
"I've always been impressed with the progressive inquiry feature in Fle3 and had hoped some of that might get into Moodle eventually."

Actually (in Fle3 vocabulary) the hierarchy goes so that knowledge building is a feature and progressive inquiry is a one application of it. Other applications we have been developing and testing are design thinking and learning diary.

Well, I am sure you know how difficult it is to name things smile and there are many researchers who do not accept the hierarchy we are using.

"One of my most-wanted uses for these are to tag discussions so that we can have bug tracker forums inside Moodle (to replace the abysmal separate system we have now).  Issues can be moved between forums, tagged and sorted.  This of course, will have a lot of educational uses, some of which seem similar to what you are doing in Fle3."

This sounds interesting, if I got it right. I think your design approach is very unique, too. You want to solve the problem of bug tracking, but same time you see that your solution could have some educational, use as well. smile

With knowledge building just simple tagging or labelling discussion notes is not enough. The labels should also include descriptions, check lists, starting sentences, icons, colours and possibility to make rules between the tags (this can follow this).

"The second future development is what a lot of people here call "learning outcomes" or "learning goals".  These are statements that are decided for a whole course, and the idea is that each activity (and later individual posts, blogs etc) can be explicitly related to these goals.  This would help structure what people do in all the activitities."

Hmm I am not sure if I understand this. Got to search a little more about this from the Moodle site's forums.

I'll try. Is the idea that at first the teacher and the students are setting up the learning goals of the course and then in some point of the course, or in the end of it, students are asked to collect under these goals their activities? I think this is a brilliant idea! It makes the learning visible and asks students to reflect their activities to the objectives of the course (and their own objectives).

"How do these fit in with your ideas on knowledge building?  Do you think they are compatible or were you thinking of something much more specific?"

I would really like to see inside Moodle a knowledge building tool, with fully editable and exportable knowledge types. I also think the tool should be fully separate from the forums of Moodle. There are differences. For instace the knowledge building notes should be kept only inside the server - not forwarding to emails. This is because in a knowledge building discusssion you should feel free to present also initial and naive theories, incorrect thoughts etc. without a fear that  someone may use them against you.

So, Why I would like to see knowledge building tool in Moodle, if there is already one in Fle3?

I am repeating myself, but in Moodle there are so many other great tools for collaborative learning, that are missing from Fle3. On the other hand a great tool for "real" social constructivist learning online is still missing. smile

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Well, it might be a mistake to assume that the Fle3 tools are the only form of knowledge building possible wink since in Moodle the tools are meant to be combined by a skilled teacher to form something greater than the parts. You also may not have noticed new things like the Wiki module, which allow collaborative construction in a very free way.

However, I must admit to having no exerience with how the particular Knowledge Building tool you are describing actually works in with a real class. As you know screenshots never do justice to the actual experience of working in a web environment.

You're probably right that it makes more sense as an independent module, as that provides more freedom for it to pursue it's own internal style. The problem is now who is going to write it. wink To start with someone should develop a good specification.  Import/export compatibility with Fle3 might be useful.

by Teemu Leinonen -
You are right. Different kind of tools (Moodle, LMSes, CMSes, portals, Wikis, blogs, paper&pen) are used for knowledge building. I also think that it is not that important what tool you are using to do knowledge building. Still some tools might be more suitable for that than others. Some tools may even be designed especially for the job. smile Its a matter of choosing a stone or a hammer.

What I see crucial in a "knowledge building" -tool is the scaffolding  (the knowledge types) that will support students' thinking. Actually in Moodle Forum there is a little scaffolding feature. The help texts beside the reply form (Read carefully, Write carefully, Ask good questions) are scaffolding non-experienced online debaters thinking and way or working in the forum.

I can write the specification. The Fle3s knowledge buildings user interface can also be used to describe the interaction and functionality although the user interface should be moodlernized. I think the starting point to develop the knowledge building module should be the Forum module.

It would be great to have an import/export compatibility with Fle3 knowledge types.

Any Moodle literate peopöe (who maybe already know well the Forum-module) interested it to get into it?

by Janne Mikkonen -
I was thinking about this last night and game to same conclusion that moodle's forum module should be the base since there are still many similarities with "Knowledge Building" tool.

Basically what we are missing is ThinkingTypeSets?

- Janne -
In reply to Janne Mikkonen

by Teemu Leinonen -
Hi Janne,

Yes. ThinkingTypeSets - that's it. And maybe some very minor modification, such as:

* No "Re: " in the subject line when replying a note
* No delivery of the note's to emails (just announcement and link)

Interested in to work on it with me?

The Fle3's ThinkingTypeSet's export file is a simple XML . The compatibility of the typse sets between Moodle and Fle3 would be superb.

Give me a call and let's have a chat about this in our coded language. Tel. 050 351 6796.

- Teemu

by Xavier de Pedro -
Hi Teemu, Martin, and others:

Which is the state of the art of this issue, after these months between your last post and nowadays?

A bunch of lecturers at University of Barcelona (http://www.ub.edu) are thinking in applying to some funding to improve the TIC tools we are using right now, in the same direction as knowledge types already developed for Fle3.

Our big university (ca 65.000 students) uses its own simple web suport (much much simpler than moodle, unluckily), and they are going to release the code as GPL finally (and PHP+Mysql), so that it will be possible, I guess, to get/adapt ideas/modules/... from the best GPL'd LMS out there which is moodle (as far as I know).

In any case, we are considering in applying for money to have somebody code thing's like this, and then we would use it, in a trial of innovation in teaching to improve the quality of teaching  (that's why the funding is for).

Ok, enough for now. I'd like to hear (read) the evolution of this integration of "Knowledge Types" into moodle.

Cheers, and thank Martin, for all you nice work (and coordination, etc.) with moodle smile

Xavier

P.D: We are so far using wiki based applications for our trials in  innovation in teaching: tikiwiki in our case.

In reply to Xavier de Pedro

by Tarmo Toikkanen -
Hi! I'm working as a teacher on a course on open source development, and I'm going to have the students work on creating a knowledge building module for Moodle. We're starting on the 29th of October and the course ends just before christmas. Progress can be monitored (and commented on!) at http://sourceforge.net/projects/moodle-kb/

Learning objectives

by Martin Dougiamas -
Yes, students can also be doing it with content they create, but I was thinking particularly of the teachers, so that each new activity they create is explicitly connected with some of their total stated objectives.  

Re: Learning objectives

by Art Lader -
> ...each new activity they create
> is explicitly connected with
> some of their total stated
> objectives...

That would be a Godsend for us!

-- Art

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Teemu,
                 very interesting.

Knowledge building and representation is a vast domain. From screen shots, Fle3 seems to use "free and loose" knowledge representation, user defining their own knowledge type. Generally it is very difficult for programmer to create and automate some kind of intertype links.

Two months ago, I made a small test bench with "fixed knowledge types". I choose types based on someting similar to Bloom taxonomy. If you have some time and maybe some french reading capabilities then that lonely too long post may be of some interest with its screenshoots.

Bye,

Bernard

In reply to Bernard Boucher

by Teemu Leinonen -
HEllo Bernard,

The Fle3 comes with two ready defineded and fixed knowledge type sets: one for "Progressive Inquiry" and one for "Design Thinking". For staff users (teachers) there is also a user interface to modify and create new thinking type sets. However, the students are always using "fixed knowledge types" and may not edit them while working with them.'

Best regards,

- Teemu

by Abdul Rahman -

Most interesting discussion! A few thoughts:

1.  Going thru the screen shots on http://fle3.uiah.fi/screen_shots/index.html reminds me of the old Lotus Notes. It's a question of how you organize and structure informational types. Seems to me this is a job for a souped-up forum and the Document Management System.

The key is collaboration in learning. I agree with Martin that a good treacher can use the modules already available to create the environment for knowledge building and sharing.

2.  We need to be clear what we want to achieve -- new knowledge or new 'knowledge types'? Ultimately, it is about the representation of knowledge and how to organize these representations.

I believe Moodle provides the foundation for this already. Maybe Teemu can create a learning scenario and we can try to see if this can be duplicated in Moddle.

In reply to Abdul Rahman

by Teemu Leinonen -
Hi,

Thank you for your thoughts. A short comment:

I also agree with Martin and you, that a good teacher can use the modules already available to create an ennvironment for knowledge building. See my earlier note about this:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=10441&parent=50584

However, I think, that regardless of this it makes sense to develop tools that are particularly designed to carry out the task. This is how tools develop, and also how we develop new tools.

From the Fle3 booklet you can find two case studies / scenarious of knowledge building with Fle3. The booklet (PDF) is online, at:

http://fle3.uiah.fi/papers/fle3_guide.pdf

Best regards,

- Teemu