Do Not Want to Display Hidden Assignments in Grade Book

Do Not Want to Display Hidden Assignments in Grade Book

par Cynthia Alexander,
Nombre de réponses : 13
Is there any way to set up the grade book (1.9.2+) so that hidden assignments do not show in the grade book until they are "unhidden"?
En réponse à Cynthia Alexander

Re: Do Not Want to Display Hidden Assignments in Grade Book

par Lynne Morrison,

In the Gradebook view... upper left "Choose an action" you select "Edit - course settings".

Here change "User report" "Show hidden items" to hide.  It needs to be in hide and then the students won't see it. 

Unfortunately I have not been able to figure how to get the overall % to not show this when using "sum of grades".

En réponse à Lynne Morrison

par A. T. Wyatt,
Hmm, well this ought to hide the hidden assignments from the students, but as the instructor, I want to hide them from myself too! I have various assignments in my course that I may or may not actually give to the students depending on how the class goes. I don't want to delete the assignments because I might want them when I repeat the course in future semesters.

I can't see how to keep them out of the grader report. Any ideas about that? (I did find that if you turn editing on, you can click on the edit icon for the appropriate cell on the controls row, but the column is still there. It is just greyed out.)

atw
En réponse à A. T. Wyatt

par Rob Monk,

Create a category called unused assignments and shove all stored assignments into this.

I actually created an uncategorised category that I can keep hidden in the grade book.

Then when you decide to set one of your stored assignments you move it from the uncategorised category to one of the others.

See this post for a screen dump.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=102609

En réponse à Rob Monk

par A. T. Wyatt,
I did in fact resort to this. But it still shows the hidden item on the instructor/grader screen even though I managed to hide it on the students screen. The thing that I did not expect is that items hidden in the course are not automatically hidden in the gradebook. You could do this in the old gradebook, if I am remembering properly.

Evidently this is a feature request. I am filing something in the tracker now.

Supposing it is not a duplicate item (and I did look!), please consider voting:
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-16381

You will have to make a separate account in the tracker if you want to vote.

En réponse à Lynne Morrison

par Jay Melton,
Hello all:

I have a course set up with many of the activities I may be using during the semester. I have hidden many of them until we use them in class. I have set the Grades in User Report/Show hidden items to Hide, but all of the activities are showing up in the Gradebook (no grades, obviously) in my dummy student account. I am using last week's 1.9.2+ version. I would like to avoid having to hide each activity one by one in the Gradebook.

Jay
En réponse à Jay Melton

par Vlas Voloshin,
I've posted a solution to this problem to MDL-17245 and MDL-15457, it "synchronizes" showing/hiding activities with gradebook.
If you still need to show/hide a bunch of grade items at once without clicking a hundred times, you may use a temporary solution for 1.9 I've posted here: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=109208
En réponse à Vlas Voloshin

par Vlas Voloshin,
To make synchronization between grade item and course item visibility more convenient, I've made a grade report, it shows visible grade items which correspond to hidden course items in a table, and allows to hide those grade items one-by-one or all together by one click.
To install the report, extract the attached archive to your Moodle root directory and open the admin notification panel to update capabilities database.
En réponse à Vlas Voloshin

par Aaron Johnson,

Vias- I like your idea for the hidden/visibility synchronization report for moodle 1.9 but I seem to be having a problem with it. I know this is an old post but I am hoping you can still help me sourire

The report seems to be functioning properly except one problem. If a user simply visits the visibility synchronizing report in their gradebook and then tries to go back to the main gradebook view (whether they actually use the report or not) it prevents the user from getting back to the gradebook entirely for that course until the user either logs out/logs back in or closes their web browser and re-opens it, etc. Once you click on the report all the gradebook will display is: 'No data to display' and in the breadcrumbs you can see that it is redirecting the user every time to 'Visibility synchronizing' and no matter what you click on you can't get back out of the report view...

I am running the latest version of moodle 1.9.13 so I'm not sure if something significant has changed in the code since you wrote this... Any help would be much appreciated!

En réponse à Aaron Johnson

par Aaron Johnson,

Alright, I've allready got this figured out. Basically the way the reports render the header has changed since 2008, surprise, surpise...

I've made the following code change in /grade/report/synchronize/index.php:

/// Print header
///print_header_simple($strgrades.': '.$reportname, ': '.$strgrades, $navigation, '', '', true, '', navmenu($course));
print_grade_page_head($COURSE->id, 'report', 'grader', $reportname, false, null, $buttons);

Now everything seems to be working perfectly!

par Aaron Johnson,

Update: Actually the print_header_simple line in the original code is on two lines for some reason so to comment out the entire line it should look like this instead:

/// Print header
///print_header_simple($strgrades.': '.$reportname, ': '.$strgrades, $navigation,
///                    '', '', true, '', navmenu($course));
print_grade_page_head($COURSE->id, 'report', 'grader', $reportname, false, null, $buttons);

par Aaron Johnson,

Update: There's another problem with my code change. Instead of it reading 'grader' it should read 'synchronize':

/// Print header
///print_header_simple($strgrades.': '.$reportname, ': '.$strgrades, $navigation,
///                    '', '', true, '', navmenu($course));
print_grade_page_head($COURSE->id, 'report', 'synchronize', $reportname, false, null, $buttons);

I am actually working on extending this report to give you the ability to unhide the hidden grade items. It doesn't make sense to make it simple to hide the grade items if it is still very difficult to unhide the grade items. I am almost finished with it and I will post it to this thread once it is finished and fully tested.

par Aaron Johnson,

Okay, I have modified your report so that it will always give you the ability to hide/unhide (or hide/show) grade items whether they have been hidden at the couse level or not. I did this because it seems like a limitation to allow grade items to be hidden only if they have first been hidden within the course. Also this makes unhiding grade items just as easy as hiding them.

This way you can unhide an item from the course and still have the ability to unhide it from the gradebook using this report. Before I made this change you would actually have to re-hide the item in the course before being able to unhide it in the gradebook...

Also I changed the language file around a bit and called the report 'Hide/unhide grade items' because it is no longer being used to synchronize hidden item status between the two lists of items.

This has only been tested on moodle 1.9.13 and the above header fix is of course included.

The installation steps are the same as the original file that you posted sourire