Restore my sanity (course) version 1.9.1

Restore my sanity (course) version 1.9.1

by Kenneth Woodward -
Number of replies: 10
I have been restoring course today and from time to time the restore will not completely finish. When the restore does not finish (no errors are thrown), the page stops loading anything and says it is done loading. There are no buttons to continue. The only place to go is the main page of the course. When I go to the main page everything has gone haywire. The worst thing is, the navigation is gone, making it so I cannot try to restore again. Any ideas? Here is a screenshot:
moodle screenshot
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kenneth Woodward

Re: Restore my sanity (course) version 1.9.1

by Nate Hartmann -
I've seen this before when the zip file I'm restoring from is incomplete (when I uploaded it to the course my connection timed out).

Is the zip file you're restoring from the same size on both your PC and within the Moodle course's files area? If not, perhaps try deleting and re-uploading the ZIP file.
In reply to Nate Hartmann

by Jared Stein -
We've been restoring off of the server directly so I don't think that's an issue unless the backup itself is incomplete on the server.

On my restore process the restoration seems to just quit partway through:

2803240989_192694ac59.jpg?v=0
In reply to Jared Stein

by Jared Stein -
And apparently sometimes it does this, again on choosing Existing course, deleting first:

2804362662_cbf2e8f988.jpg?v=0

by Kenneth Woodward -
This only seems to happen when I choose "Existing course, deleting it first" from the "Restore to" drop down menu.
moodle screen shot

by Jared Stein -
I can confirm (Kenneth & I are working on this together) that this problem does not happen when you select Existing course, adding to it OR New course
In reply to Jared Stein

by Neil Spurgeon -

I've been working on this all week to bring our new Moodle up to speed for the new year and (in desperation really) have now moved to backing up everything from the old 1.8.3 course and then restoring  (course by course - very slow) but removing all the user data, metacourses, course users and user files links and 'more or less' most of the time this is working well. Occasionally I have to bring the students back to get everything into it's rightful place and then I have to waste more time cleaning out 'old' dead students, but it is a way forward.

I have confidence that I will have a working Moodle with all courses up and running by Monday - the deadline - but wouldn't choose this approach ever again, so anyone who can resolve this for next year would have my endless thanks.

Everyone else in the same boat has my complete sympathy/empathy - and because of this time constraint I will be making no more comments until I've finIshed the job

In reply to Neil Spurgeon

by Jared Stein -
I tried the same thing--i.e. getting a really pared down backup--with no luck still. I will post this to the issue tracker, as I don't quite see anything like this.
In reply to Jared Stein

by Jared Stein -
In reply to Jared Stein

by jobe jobe -
Is there any news on a fix for this?
I'm on 1.9.2 & on restore I get to
  • Creating temporary structures
  • Deleting old data
  • Copying zip file
  • Unzipping backup
  • Checking for BlackBoard export
  • Checking backup
  • Reading info from backup
Fatal error: Class 'message' not found in /home/mysite/public_html/backup/restorelib.php on line 7078

lines: 7076 > 7083 of the above file.
//We compare Moodle's versions
if ($CFG->version < $info->backup_moodle_version && $status) {
$message = new message();
$message->serverversion = $CFG->version;
$message->serverrelease = $CFG->release;
$message->backupversion = $info->backup_moodle_version;
$message->backuprelease = $info->backup_moodle_release;
print_simple_box(get_string('noticenewerbackup','',$message), "center", "70%", '', "20", "noticebox");

Thanks.

In reply to jobe jobe

by jobe jobe -
Well I did get it restoring by changing:
$message = new message();
to
$message = new object();

which I found in another post.

But then I had other problems.
So another clean install & all is restoring fine from 1.8 > 1.9.2

Mysterious are the ways of Moodle sometimes.