error database failed

error database failed

by Barbara Schroeder -
Number of replies: 2
We have just started using Moodle hosted by Moodlerooms . . . on a very small level at this point, about 100 students.

We just recently heard back from some students about the following error message sometimes appearing:

Error: Database connection failed.

It is possible that the database is overloaded or otherwise not running properly.

The site administrator should also check that the database details have been correctly specified in config.php

I also have received this error message when trying to refresh or trying to access a link on the admin page. Any ideas what is going on? I've written Moodlerooms support, since this appear like a server issue.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Barbara Schroeder

Re: error database failed

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Barbara,

You and your students are not alone in having experienced this issue today. Our school also uses MoodleRooms for hosting and one of our teachers reported the same problem to me. MoodleRooms was already aware of the issue and every indication is that they believe it has been fixed. If not (i.e. your users continue to experience this problem), please let MoodleRooms know so that they can continue to work on resolving the problem for your institution.

Essentially what happens to cause this error is some type of communication error between Moodle and the database which holds a good portion of the data for a particular Moodle site. When Moodle cannot access the database it lets you know that it cannot connect to it. You did the right thing by contacting MoodleRoom's technical support to let them know of the issue. Even if they are already aware of the issue it is helpful to let them know what issues you are experiencing as generally speaking the more information a systems administrator has to help track down a problem the easier it is to find and resolve.

While occasional hickups with any network based system may happen occasionally, I am confident that MoodleRooms will be able to provide both our schools reliable service.

Peace - Anthony
In reply to Barbara Schroeder

Re: error database failed

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
> We have just started using Moodle hosted by Moodlerooms . . .
> We just recently heard back from some students about the following error message sometimes appearing:
>
> Error: Database connection failed.

Did you contact Moodlerooms on this?