Personal Rss Feed for all new files and activities

In reply to Dominik Anonymous

Re: Personal Rss Feed for all new files and activities

by alexis alexander -
Sorry to be dumb, but where do I put this in Moodle to make it work?
In reply to alexis alexander

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there. I haven't used this but it says it is a block so you need to go to its download page, download and unzip it and then ftp it to the 'blocks' directory of your site and then login and go to Notifications -then Moodle should check it's working and it should install.

by Sami Mussbach -
This is a really useful block! Thanks for it.

Some thoughts about it:
  • Why don't you let all files be in the /blocks/rssfeed folder? Ist is not so good style to mess up in the moodle rootdirectory and it is no problem to let all files including rss.php and feedcreator.class.php be inside this folder.
  • It is a heavy security issue if you do not ask the username and pass when supporting the rss-feed. Imagine some student limited to one specific course uses the following adress for his feedreader/browser: <site>/blocks/rssfeed/rss.php?u=1. User nr. 1 is most likely the admin. Now the student gets any new topics from any hidden course.
  • Please don't use short open tags (<? instead of <?php) in your lang-files. It can destroy the layout in moodle.
I looked forward to something like that. I'll test it and report if i run in some more issues.
In reply to Sami Mussbach

by Dominik Anonymous -
/blocks/rssfeed/rss.php?u=1 isnt a big security issue. Indeed you could be able to see all files, but you wouldn't be able to open them.

But i am not working on moodle anymore. so feel free to edit my code smile

by Martin Schuhmann -
Hi,

I bookmarked the Personal Rss Feed block for testing it in December, as it sounds very interesting.
Now the above link is dead.

Has anyone the code to share it?

thx
Martin