Sloodle

Sloodle

by Albert Ramsbottom -
Number of replies: 12
Does anyone have any example websites or references of higher education institutions using using Sloodle as a teaching aid

Thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Albert Ramsbottom

Re: Sloodle

by Marc Grober -
I don;t have it at my fingertips, but a search from the sloodle site came up wioth a calendar of academic institutions scheduling matters on SL with sloodle as I recall. I looked at Sloodle with the class I teach on moodle and we had a fun time, but there hasn;t been enough development to do much via moodle there other than chat....
In reply to Marc Grober

Re: SLOODLE

by Peter Bloomfield -
Egads, why didn't I spot this thread before? Sorry about that. And I call myself a sloodler...! smile

(By the way, due to trademark 'issues', we apparently have to call it "SLOODLE" most of the time now... in all-caps...).

Anyway, I know Southampton Solent University here in the UK uses SLOODLE, largely in their fashion and/or design courses I think. Recently, we also (informally) distributed a case study at the SLEDcc involving SLOODLE use at the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology and the Dubai Women's College. (An old draft of the case study can be downloaded here... not sure if the final version is available online anywhere).

I cannot remember any other Higher Ed users off-hand, but frustratingly, we often only hear about people using the software if they have a problem with it. (I'd like to think that means thousands of people must be using it problem-free... wink ).

Btw Marc, SLOODLE will probably never provide many tools to do much Second LIfe stuff from within Moodle. The focus is really on bringing the pedagogical basis from Moodle into SL, so the biggest impact will be seen on the SL side of things. For example, the PrimDrop tool lets students submit a 3d object they created in Second Life as a Moodle assignment: your grade and feedback are all part of the Moodle system, but the creation and submission process is still entirely in SL. (I hope I'm making some sense here!)

In reply to Peter Bloomfield

by Daniel Livingstone -
We have a new SLOODLE demo course up now, which we hope allow people to get more of an idea of what SLOODLE can do.

Some prerequisites:
- Unless you are being guided through this, I'd strongly recommend that you are familiar with Second Life already
- Register an account on the Moodle at www.sloodle.org

- Ready? then start here:
http://www.sloodle.org/moodle/course/view.php?id=42

Peter runs SLOODLE 101 classes inside Second Life every Wednesday at 10pm GMT (2pm 'Second Life time') so that is a good time to drop in if you have any questions.

Classes I'm aware of currently include one I'm teaching, one by Jeremy Kemp (co-founder of SLOODLE!), a US HCI course, two English courses in S. Korea and a teacher training course in Brazil.

The intercom/chatroom is the most commonly used and popular feature, but there is more stuff out there and working now... and yet more in progress.

In reply to Daniel Livingstone

by Marc Grober -
This great news, though the time of the class for folks on the other side of the globe is a bit of a bother.....

My biggest problem with using Sloodle has been credentialing. The docs we tried to follow seemed to be inconsistent and we spent a good deal of time thrashing about only to finally discover that at present the payoff was largely only having access to logs.... (and I don't know that we ever figured out how to access those......)

I am going to try and have my class explore second life again in two weeks. I was planning to do that sloodleless, but could look at trying sloodle again...
In reply to Marc Grober

by Daniel Livingstone -
Updating Docs has been an issue... we have a really small team (Hello Peter!) actively involved in development & documentation and I'm sure there are too many outdated pages hanging round.

If you would like us to arrange a SLOODLE class or presentation at a time more suitable, let us know and we'll try to arrange it... best place to ask is the general forum at Sloodle.org, but I'll try and keep track on this forum also.

by Daniel Livingstone -
SLOODLE 0.4 is released today.

We've also spent a fair amount of time on improving the documentation - with additional case studies in the works.

SLOODLE 0.4 press release text is here:
https://www.sloodle.org/blog/?p=111

Notable updates include a new presentation module - create multi-media presentations on the web, view in Second Life. SLOODLE is now also available on OpenSim - an open source virtual world platform based on Second Life.

There will be a launch party today inside Second Life - 2pm US Pacific Time (10 pm here in the UK)

We have a YouTube channel with some uptodate videos and howtos:
http://www.youtube.com/sloodle

I just finished presenting here at the UK Moodlemoot - my slides should be available online at moodlemoot.org sometime later this or next week. I'll try and add them to SlideShare too...

For SLOODLE news, follow SLOODLE_News on twitter:
http://twitter.com/SLOODLE_News

by faisal memon -

Hello Daniel,

My name is Faisal Memon, i would like to discuss architecture requirements for implementing sloodle. What type of bandwidth and resource intensive is second life. In addition i would like to discuss partnership opportunities with sloodlers. I represent schedez offering moodle as a PAAS to higher ed here. We have a client for whom we would like to do  POC with sloodle with complete roll out strategy. Please let me know of your thoughts i can be reached at fmemon01@gmail.com.

Thanks

In reply to Albert Ramsbottom

by Mike McKay -
SLOODLE is now at version 1.0

Professor Merryman will be demonstrating how to connect Second Life to Moodle using the SLOODLE open source module. He will be giving six two-hour demonstrations over three days: February 23rd, 24th, and 25th 4PM-6PM and 8 PM-10PM SLT. The demonstrations will be open discussion and FULL of ideas for you to use the SLOODLE module in cooperation with your Moodle course. This will be a voice presentation with limited text chatting, however there are notecards, videos, and posters setup for self-exploring.

The demonstration schoolhouse shows how a student can register, enroll, attend class, see a presentation, receive and submit assignments, take quizzes, and receive immediate feedback all from inworld. The student and the teacher never have to disengage from the inworld experience.

This is also an example of interactive presentations. You will be able to see how presenting in a virtual world is so much more informative and inspiring than traveling halfway across the world to listen and squint at a Power Point presentation.

SLurl to Sloodle Island: http://slurl.com/secondlife/sloodle/129/129/24

Cypris Chat website: http://cypris.ning.com

Email contact: mike@professormerryman.com

In reply to Mike McKay

by LuAnn Phillips -
I am wondering how well Sloodle is going to work with SL's new viewer 2.0? Will that break anything in Sloode? Does it offer the potentail for any new functionality? What do you think?
In reply to LuAnn Phillips

by Mike McKay -
Hi LuAnn. You might want to check this thread on the Sloodle.org forum http://www.sloodle.org/moodle/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=3006

But to make a quick comment...there haven't been any conclusions made. It seems Sloodle is a manageable solution for inworld Moodle connectivity while the viewer has a couple advantages including collaboration and viewing.

More input from everyone would be great. Thanks for the thread.

Mike