Opening Resources in a new window file

Opening Resources in a new window file

by Ibrahim Aloraini -
Number of replies: 7

Hi,

My name is Ibrahim, and currenty developing a course for international project management via Moodle. After I have uploaded the resources file in PDF format and Word documents, I coud NOT open them.

Please, provide me with any solution you might have.

Regards,

Ibrahim Aloraini, PMP

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ibrahim Aloraini

Re: Opening Resources in a new window file

by Art Lader -
Hello, Ibrahim,

Welcome to Moodle.

Word documents and PDF files should open for you, so we should be able to sort this out together. Let's see...

In a typical scenario, you would upload the documents to your files area and would then create a resource linking to them. (See screen attached capture.) Is that how you did it?

Also, it might be helpful to know what error message you saw when you tried to open the files.

Thanks,
Art

Attachment link2file.jpg
In reply to Art Lader

by Ibrahim Aloraini -

Hi Art,

Thank you for your instant reply,

I have done the same scenario my friend but I encountered same problems in terms of the followings:

• For PDF files, I get this message: "There was an error processing a page. There was a problem reading this document (109)"
  • For Word document, just before opening I am being asked for the suitable format (HTML, RTF, Word ……).

I truly appreciate your response and taking some time for writing those lines.

Ibrahim

by HJWUCGA INC. -
It's a problem with version 1.9+

If the resource is a PDF file (stored in Moodle or on a different site), the force download box should be checked in order that students using IE7 can view the PDF. This work-around is necessary because of the way IE7 handles PDF files.

To check the Force download box for a resource:

* Go into your course and turn editing on
* Click on the Update icon to the right of the relevant resource
* Scroll down to the "Window" section.
* Tick the "Force download" box
* Click on "Save and return to course".

by Nancy Hoyt -

Hi Ibrahim,

I've been wrestling with the same problems, that is, getting a pdf to open in my moodle resources.  I have IE7 and Moodle v 1.8 something.

I think that I will use the resource for "Display a directory" instead of "link to a file or website".  When I use this directory option, I can put in the summary "Click to view/open files" and then the files do work properly and ask the user if they want to save or view them.  Perhaps this directory option would fix your needs as well.

Good luck!

Nancy

In reply to Nancy Hoyt

ways Re: Opening Resources in a new window file

by Ibrahim Aloraini -

Dear Christopher and Nancy,

Thank you both for your instant support. I tried both ways as per suggested but no luck.

I even tried to upload the orignial files in PPS format and the problem remains.

Regards,

Ibrahim

Re: ways Re: Opening Resources in a new window file

by Dave Shearan -

Hi Ibrahim,

I think it would be useful if you could allow one of those helping you to log in to your course. Could you create a username and password for one of us to use and then we can check to see what happens when we try to open your documents.

Best wishes

Dave

by chandra bommidica -

Hi Ibrahim,

if you don't find the solution till now, this might be helpful. some web hosting providers dont allow slash arguments. so you have made a setting in

• Home
  • Administration (block)
  •           Server
  •                     HTTP

untick the "Use slash arguments".

this is working foe me.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)