RSS feed (news) in a block

RSS feed (news) in a block

by De Jong Paul -
Number of replies: 60

Hi,

I made a block which can read rss files (one feed for each course). Maybe you like it. Just install to the block in the right dir and fill in your rss file in the block install.

Greets,

Paul

Average of ratings: -
In reply to De Jong Paul

Re: RSS feed (news) in a block

by W Page -
Hi De Jong!

I installed the block with no problem and no errors on v1.3.1.

My question is -->> What course feeds are you referrring to for the text boxes in the settings window.  Do you mean the Course News forums.  I think only Forums have RSS feeds.

A "ReadMe" or "HowTo" would also be nice.

Why is the "Submit For Newsletter" button there??  You can see what I mean at,
http://s94988317.onlinehome.us/moodle/course/view.php?id=9
Sign in as a Guest.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
WP,

With this block, news from any RSS enabled website can be included on your site - not just news from Moodle Forums.

You can edit the RSS feeds at yourmoodle/admin/blocks.php, and selecting the Settings link for the Newsfeed block.

As an example, use a feed from one of my websites: http://www.basw.co.uk/rss.php

You can change/delete the 'Submit for Newsletter' text by editing the lang/en/rssfeed.php

To delete the text, the last string (line 8) can be changed to
$string['extratext'] = '';

Hope this helps
Jon
In reply to Jon Bolton

by W Page -
Hi Jon!

Appreciate  the information..

Below is an example of the NewsFeed Block Settings page.  Each RSS text box is associated with a course or the site. 

I was not able to get your RSS feed to display.  I do not know if it has to do with the type of file.  The file from a Moodle forum ends in "rss.xml".  Your feed ends in "rss.php".  I will look around and see if I can find another feed with a "rss.xml" ending to see if that may be the problem.  If anyone has one I can check out please post it here.

I dunno.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by W Page -
Opps!!

Sorry about that.  Below is the image I forgot to attach to the post above.

WP1

Attachment rss_block_01.gif
In reply to W Page

by Jan Dierckx -
WP1,
There are a lot of webpages that provide rss newfeeds. Look for the logo RSS or XML on big news sites. I found a bunch just by searching with Google for 'news feeds'
By the way, I tried both the http://www.basw.co.uk/rss.php and the rssfeed from your site and they both worked...
I agree that the settings page is a bit confusing. It gives you the opportunity to provide a RSS-feed for every course on your site. (This is not the RSS feed that the course itself  is providing to the rest of the world. It is the link to the outside rss-site that you want to display...)
Attachment newsfeed.GIF
In reply to W Page

by Jon Bolton -
Hey WP - ok, let's try to work this out...

The aim of this block is to display RSS feeds from other sites in your course. It's not related to the RSS feed from YOUR forums.

In the settings page, you need to set the 'Maximum Items' - for now, just set that to 5. In the 'Refresh' box, type 1. This means that 5 items from each RSS feed will display on your site, and the content will be checked for updates every hour.

Now, there is the ability to set a different RSS feed for each course. I see you have selected your Scientific Method course.

The feed you have displayed there is a Moodle Forum feed - which will work - but just to prove the concept, let's change it to a feed not related to your site.

As Jan says, the rss feed from http://www.basw.co.uk is working, but no problem, we can use another example, eg. http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?format=rss

So, type that URL into the box labelled 'rssfile Scientific Method'.

Ok, now 'Save Changes', and navigate to the Scientific Method course.

Turn editing on, and go the 'Add Blocks' box. Select 'Add Newsfeed'.

And the theory is that you should have news from The Scotsman newspaper displaying on your site.

If not... "Houston, we have a problem!"
But we WILL sort it! big grin

EDIT: Oops - just noticed that WP had managed to sort out this problem. That'll teach me to dash to the keyboard and reply without reading the full thread!! But I'll leave this post here just in case anyone else wants the step-by-step instructions.
In reply to Jon Bolton

by W Page -
Hi!

Thank you anyway Jon for taking the time to write all of this out.  Hopefully De Jong will be able to convert what you wrote into an instruction document for the block.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Birdie Newborn -
Hurry up with those instructions for RSS feeds, Jon. I don't know where I'm supposed to be putting or editing -- am I replacing the rss directory already there? I'm afraid to touch the programming now that it's more or less working.
In reply to Birdie Newborn

by Jan Dierckx -
There is no need to change the code.
You get an overview of every block installed and the ability to delete them or change their settings. Click on settings and follow Jon's instructions.
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Birdie Newborn -
Jan --
Are you talking about looking at the source code by finding admin/blocks.php? I can read the parts in English, but I really don't want to mess with the code.

Or is there some way in the Moodle courseware to reach this -- because I looked and didn't find. Please be more specific.
In reply to Birdie Newborn

by Jon Bolton -
Birdie, the instructions for 'editing' the RSS feeds are at http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=10245#49561

But your question reads more like where to put the actual code.

Firstly, you need to upload the files in the zip attachment to your webserver. All of the files in the rssfeed directory should be copied to your public_html/moodledirectory/blocks directory, and the language file (rssfeed.php) should be copied to your public_html/moodledirectory/lang/en directory (or whatever language you are using).

Log in to your Moodle site as Admin, and go to your Admin Configuration page (www.yourmoodle.com/admin. Your site will be updated to recognise the rssfeed block.

From the Admin page, click on the 'Blocks' option. You will see a block for Newsfeed. Click on Settings and then follow the instructions at http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=10245#49561.

It might be worth just reiterating some points:
1. The aim of this block is to display RSS feeds from OTHER sites in your courses.
2. You do NOT need to replace the rss directory already there. This is for the RSS feed FROM your site.
3. Your newsfeed will not display in courses unless you add the block to the courses you want newsfeeds to display in. In each course, turn editing on and go the 'Add Blocks' box. Select 'Add Newsfeed'.
In reply to Jon Bolton

Instructions for using newsfeed block

by Jon Bolton -
I've taken the liberty of starting the instructions for the Newsfeed block. Please feel free to suggest amendments.

Please note that this excellent block is not my work - the credit needs to go to Paul De Jong. I'm just responding to the queries in this thread for guidance in installation and use.
In reply to Jon Bolton

Re: Instructions for using newsfeed block add one instruction maybe ?

by Joyce Smith -
Great documentation Jon, and great 'block' Paul !
Got it all up and running with no probs !
Only one little thing, don't forget to enable the rssfeeds in the Moodle configuration ! I forgot that at first , and couldn't figure out why I couldn't edit the 'settings '!
Thanks again for a great resource !
cheers
Joyce smile
In reply to Jon Bolton

Re: Instructions for using newsfeed block

by Miguela Fernandes -

Hello,

I think i have done everything you say in the pdf document, but when i save it, it appears this message

A required parameter (sesskey) was missing

Sorry, if this problems is already answered but i didnt find it on any place. I only use moodle for 2 year, so i´m still a new user J .

Thanks a lot

Miguela

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Birdie Newborn -
Jon --
But your question reads more like where to put the actual code.

Yes, that's right.

Firstly, you need to upload the files in the zip attachment to your webserver. All of the files in the rssfeed directory should be copied to your public_html/moodledirectory/blocks directory,

What I did: created a new directory in blocks named rssfeed, installed three files and a db folder (with files installed in it) inside the new rssfeed directory. Was I wrong to create the rssfeed directory? (cuz I'm getting no results).

and the language file (rssfeed.php) should be copied to your public_html/moodledirectory/lang/en directory (or whatever language you are using).

Here I uploaded only the rssfeed.php into en_us (and also the nl one -- presumably Dutch? -- in the nl folder.

Log in to your Moodle site as Admin, and go to your Admin Configuration page (www.yourmoodle.com/admin. Your site will be updated to recognise the rssfeed block.

Found configuration page.

From the Admin page, click on the 'Blocks' option. You will see a block for Newsfeed. Click on Settings and then follow the instructions at http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=10245#49561.

Found Blocks option. It does not list Newsfeed or RSS. It does list Latest News, but none of these have any options except to delete (except Online Users).

Stymied again.

Oh, now I'm getting this message on a page called Setting Up Block Tables -- with a line of code at the top: block_rssfeed.phpP1/2 01/2 0mBIN‚?ÎV mysql.phpi1/2(1/2(mBIN‚? ò

rssfeed

Error

Block rssfeed tables could NOT be set up successfully!

In reply to De Jong Paul

by Jan Dierckx -
Really nice feature. Makes your course homepage much more lively. Students discover new things everytime they log in. Thanks!
However in my installation, I had to rename the table 'rssfeed' to 'mdl_rssfeed' because nothing got added to the database.
(I think it might work if you put 'CREATE TABLE prefix_rssfeed' in the mysql.sql-file)
This block really shows that there should be a possibility for teachers to configure their own blocks. is this possible?
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by W Page -
Jon and Jan,  thank you for your help with this.

De Jong,  thank you for the block.

Yes, you are correct Jan.  The "rss.php" feed does indeed work.  Your and Jon's posts help me figure out what is going on.

The text box next to the site and course names in the RSSFeed block's Settings window, allows for only 1 RSS feed in that particular course's RSSFeed block.

WP1

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by De Jong Paul -

Hi,

Sorry, I forgot other people uses prefixes in their databases. Good point!
Well, for our Moodle sites (
www.mystudyguide.nl and www.e-study.nl, test.e-study.nl for now) we use 1 block per course. We don't need more.

Programming a block is not that difficult. I won't be very hard to make it working for groups. However you have to change the whole administration area (make an apart table for the subscriptions).

Greets.

Paul

In reply to De Jong Paul

by W Page -
Hi De Jong,

Suggest you do the following to really help make this a block many Moodlers can easily install and use,

WP1
In reply to De Jong Paul

by Jon Bolton -
Paul, it would be really useful to be able to display a description (or title) for the RSS feed in each course, configurable in the Settings page.

A Feed for each course is really useful, but it would help if I could display where the news was coming from. I can't edit the lang file because that affects all feeds. Similarly, it would be good if the block footer was also configurable per course.
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Jan Dierckx -

I agree that there should be more things configurable per course. I don't think it would be a good idea to add all these settings to the Settings page of the block. This page contains sitewide settings (and should be set by the admin). The number of hours newsfeeds should remain cached is probably a good example of such a setting.

The other settings (footer, name of newsfeed, url  of newsfeed, number of items to fetch, etc...) should be handled by a different settings page (for the teacher of the course).

There is however not yet a standard way of printing this type of config page for blocks.

I thought of adding code that changes the footer of the block to something like 'Configure this block' whenever you log in as a teacher. Clicking on this link would open a form to type in footer, url, number of items, etc....

These could be stored in the same databasetable that is used for caching the rssfeeds. There is however one disadvantage: in the end every type of block will have its own way of configuring and this will confuse users. (Compare it with the modules: clicking on the little editing icon always shows the options for whatever module you are using. There should be something like that for every block too.)

My question to the moodle masters smile

Is this the way per course settings for blocks should be handled? Or should we wait until a more generic interface gets addded to the blockcode?

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi, Jan,

You can just link to an arbitrary script of your own choosing from within the blocks to provide course-level settings and also user-level settings.  As long as the feeds do get cached why not allow students to set their own additional feeds?

For blocks there the config.html file is currently reserved for site-level settings, so perhaps the other scripts can be prefs.php and prefs.html.

You can store things for users using set_user_preference() and get_user_preference().
In reply to De Jong Paul

by Art Lader -
Maybe it would be useful to have an example of this RSS Feed block in the Moodle Features Demo.

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by De Jong Paul -

Hi,

I wrote the block quick and dirty. For our courses there is no need to have more than one rss file per course. Of course it's handy when teacher could attach one or more rss files to a course. For now I can't promise i'll make it. The block suits our needs and I am afraid I haven't enough time... (programmaing this block cost me 1 day; you just have to figure out how moodle works). But you never know. Feel free to change it!

The class I am using for getting the rss file also gives the possibility to get the title, description and picture of a feed (see constructor).

Greets,

Paul

In reply to De Jong Paul

by W Page -
Hello All!

Just wanted to say that I was messing with my v1.3.1 test site where I have installed the RSS block.  I have the RSS feed from the New  York Times Science section in the block.  There was a very interesting article about "roaches" which could be used to demonstrate some facts and concepts in a Learning Environment course.  I think the students (and the teachers as well) will definately find this block useful as a FYI and research resource.

WP1
In reply to De Jong Paul

by Derek Morrison -

Paul ... very nice block. I'm a newbie to Moodle but not e-learning and I'm a big fan of syndicated resource solutions. A much unexploited area by proprietary vendors and a big opportunity for Moodle.

It would be kind of neat if, that instead of displaying output from just one hardwired RSS channel, a number of channels were available to users. For an example of what I mean see our blog Auricle www.bath.ac.uk/e-learning/auricle.html which offers Syndicated Sites and Syndicated Learning Objects from which readers can select the resources they are interested in.  If the RSS block contained a menu which accessed a list of rss channels specified in the configuration then that is one killer feature. Each 'course' in Moodle could therefore offer a wide range of syndicated resources. I could also see considerable advantages in the configuration allowing for student specified channels.

It would also be great if syndicated resources could be specified at a more granular level than the course, e.g. the week, the topic.

I'm new to Moodle so I'm not much good here but if you or anyone else could run with this it would be well worth doing.

In reply to Derek Morrison

by W Page -
QUOTE:
"...I could also see considerable advantages in the configuration allowing for student specified channels." Derek Morrison

"Student specified channels".  Now that is a very interesting idea!

WP1

In reply to De Jong Paul

by Marc Dastous -

I have installed the RSSblock code that I found in this thread in 1.4 and it seems to work fine except for 1 thing; would like the edit the Course settings to include the main page.  Has anyone done this and where would I edit this.

I have placed a BBC XML link in the settings and it appears in the course, but I can't get it to work on the Main page.

Thanks in advance!

Marc

In reply to De Jong Paul

Re: RSS feed (news) in a block: Enhancement

by Derek Morrison -

In my posting of 24 August I proposed some enhancements to Paul De Jong's excellent block. I've attempted to practise what I preach and so please find attached RSSFeedPlus.zip which is based on Paul's original work. A readme is provided in the zip file. The enhancement means that multiple RSS channels can now be specified in the block configuration form. I've used multi-line textareas to do this with pairs of lines indicating, respectively, a syndicated site name followed by its uri. Once the block is registered by Moodle and it has been added to either the home or a course page, if there is more than one site specified in the configuration form, a drop down menu will be displayed above the block. Choose another RSS site to display another set of items. If only one or no RSS site is specified then the drop-down menu should not be displayed. I'm disappointed to find that apparently only Moodle administrators and not instructors/teachers can configure Moodle blocks since the new feature I've added would be best exploited by teachers. It would also be more than useful if we could get to the happy situation where such blocks could be made available to students who could then present us with the resources they consider important. Anyway, I hope RSSFeedPlus.zip proves useful to the Moodle community. It would be really good to find out from people how it is being used.

Best wishes

Derek

by Jan Dierckx -

Derek, I will certainly try out your improvements to the block, I haven't installed it yet (typing this from a different computer)

Just a comment on your suggestion...

It would also be more than useful if we could get to the happy situation where such blocks could be made available to students who could then present us with the resources they consider important

I've used such a mechanism to make a bookmark block. The block contains a link to a page with private bookmarks for one particular student. If this student decides to share a folder, this folder shows up in the block for all the visitors of this course. I made a screenshot which shows student2 logged in: he can access all his personal bookmarks, the bookmarks about 'buddhism' and 'general' that were shared by another student and he can remove the folder that he was sharing (Jodendom - sorry in Dutch) : the cross only shows up for folders of which you are the owner. Teachers with editing rights can remove / share all the bookmarks. Could this mechanism be added to the newsfeeds as well? Feel free to use the code ... This is social constructionism after all...

You can see it in action / download from http://www.olvrode.be/elo/course/view.php?id=31

You can login as student1/student1 or student2/student2 to see how the block changes depending on who's logged in.

Attachment naamloos.jpg
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Derek Morrison -

Thanks for this Jan ... my team and I like this a lot so we'll certainly look at its potential for further enhancing our rssfeed enhancement.

Best wishes

Derek

by George Bekier -

Dear Derek,

I just did a fresh install of RSSFeedPlus (Moodle Version 1.4).
The install seemed to go well enough and to test the newly-installed block, I added the suggested Scotsman rss feed in the settings page as follows:

Into Course101:

[3 - max no. items to display]
[12 - hours to refresh]

Scotsman
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?format=rss

Then I navigated to course101, turned editing on, and at the 'Add Blocks' box, selected 'Add

Newsfeed'.  The result was the following series of error messages:

Warning: get_content(class_rss_feed.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in

/home/gswborg/public_html/moodle/blocks/rssfeed/block_rssfeed.php on line 140

Warning: get_content(): Failed opening 'class_rss_feed.php' for inclusion (include_path='') in

/home/gswborg/public_html/moodle/blocks/rssfeed/block_rssfeed.php on line 140

Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: rss_feed in

/home/gswborg/public_html/moodle/blocks/rssfeed/block_rssfeed.php on line 145

Any ideas what went wrong and how to fix this problem?

Grateful for any help anyone might be able to offer.

-George Bekier

In reply to George Bekier

by Derek Morrison -

George ... can't seem to replicate your problem at this end. I used the same settings and the Scotsman uri without a problem. You may want to check the files haven't been corrupted by opening them up in a text editor. If not transfer class_rss_feed.php and block_rssfeed.php into the block directory again. I'm assuming you have post 4.1 version of php installed on your system.

Anyone else have this problem?

Best wishes

Derek

by George Bekier -

Dear Derek,

Thanks for your prompt response.

The (shared host) system I am using has php v 4.3.4 installed.

As per your suggestion, I uploaded class_rss_feed.php and block_rssfeed.php again, checked them in a text editor, removed all stray characters from the ends of the files and tried again. I'm afraid it made no difference and no news feeds were displayed in Course 101, just the same error messages.

I'm stuck.

Regards,
George

by Jon Bolton -
Excellent work Derek - many thanks for a superb enhancement. Installed and working perfectly big grin

by Brian Reilly -
This is a nice feature to have. I was able to install it and get it to show up under Configuration>Blocks, but when I try to fill in the form to set up the feeds, I get this error:

Fatal error: Cannot use object of type stdClass as array in /Library/WebServer/Documents/moodle/admin/block.php on line 32

I'm sure I did something wrong during the installation but I have no idea what to do about this. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Thank you,

Brian Reilly
In reply to De Jong Paul

by Marc Dastous -

Big problems!!!

I successfully implemented the RSS block on my test serve and 2 of my production servers.  However, on the third, I installed the block and edited the RSS for the main page and when I saved the changes I got a 500 server error.

The only way that I could get my sight back was to remove the rssfeed directory and language file from the installation.  I cleaned up the DB using myphpadmin and removed the incidents of rssfeed.  However, now I can't even install the block, it just stalls and gives me the 500 server error.  The error log shows a premature end of script.

Any ideas?

Marc

In reply to Marc Dastous

by Marc Dastous -

Does anyone have an idea of what might be the problem here?  I have installed this block locally, and on 2 production sites and everything works fine.  However, this one site seems to have issues.

Marc

In reply to Marc Dastous

by Marc Dastous -

I can't believe it!!!!!

Just for the heck of it, I uploaded the "plus" version of this block and now everything works!!!  Now, I wish we could get rid of the "GO" button and just use the drop-down menu as the selection tool.  You know, make a selection and it automagically enters the information.

Marc

In reply to De Jong Paul

by Scott Weber -
This sounds like a great block to use for advanced ESL or EFL students. I tried to install it and it seemed to install fine, but when I tried to put in an rss feed URL I just get this remark at the top. (A required parameter (sesskey) was missing) Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I would appreciate the help. mixed I am writing this late at night and I am very sleepy. I hope you can understand my question. Scott
In reply to Scott Weber

by Miles Berry -
Hi Scott,
I've just installed this and had exactly the same thing happen. Did you ever solve this? Otherwise, it looks as though we'll just have to wait for Moodle 1.5
All the best,
Miles.
In reply to De Jong Paul

by Patrick Drouin -
Hello everyone,

I'd love to use that feature for my classes but I can't get Moodle to detect the new block once unzipped and all. This is also true for the Plus version of the block. Any suggestions?

Patrick
In reply to Patrick Drouin

by Mark Stevens -
Did you go to the Admin page after unzipping?
In reply to Mark Stevens

by Patrick Drouin -
Hello Mark,

Good question, I wasn't clear. Yes, I unzipped all the necessary files to the blocks and lang directory and then headed to the Admin-Blocks section. I can see the original  blocks but not the RSS I just installed. Do I need to trigger it manually in some way?

Patrick

by Mark Stevens -
Did it say something like "Table updated/added"? Success?
Then in blocks there's a "Syndicated Feeds" block that you need to click on settings to add the feeds manually...  I can't wait for 1.5 smile
In reply to Mark Stevens

by Patrick Drouin -
The only message I have seen so far is this one :

Block rssfeed tables could NOT be set up successfully!

It's mentionned ealier in the list of messages of this forum but I can't seem to find an answer (I might have missed it).

by Marc Dastous -

Patrick,

Am I to understand correctly that you have gotten the plus version of the Syndicated Feeds block to work in Version 1.5 Dev.  If so, I would love a copy of the code because I have yet to get it to work.

Marc

In reply to Marc Dastous

by Patrick Drouin -
Hello Marc,

Not in 1.5 not, I have not given it a try. I am working with the latest stable release.

Patrick
In reply to Marc Dastous

by Tim Allen -
Hi Marc,

1.5 has its own RSS block now - you don't have to add a custom block anymore.

Tim.  smile
In reply to Tim Allen

by Marc Dastous -

Thanks Tim;

I finally figured out how to use it.  It's a little more cumbersome than the old RSSPLUS, but it is much more professional looking.

Marc

by Dale Jones -
I had this after trying to install, delete and reinstall rssfeed blocks; what worked for me was going into the database and deleting the rssfeed table manually after I'd uninstalled the block from the configuration ->blocks page, then reinstalling the block.
In reply to Mark Stevens

by Patrick Drouin -
Hello again,

I deleted everything from the server and started from scratch.... It works like a charm now! clown

Thanks,
Patrick