Global site settings export/import and database tables

Global site settings export/import and database tables

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Number of replies: 5
Dear all:

As Moodle 1.9 and 2.0 "Site Administration" block are becoming more and more complex, just thought that maybe we could implement a feature (in 2.0 or 2.1 maybe) that could "export/import" all the site settings (e.g. Users -> Authentication -> Manage authentication -> disable all the authentication plugins, Define roles [roles settings - not set, allow, prevent, prohibit], etc.) into a single cvs file. What do people think? Also, I don't see a moodle DB table called something like mdl_admin_settings, so I'm guessing that all these site settings are spreading all over in different tables, such as mdl_grade_settings, etc. Is there a comprehensive document on docs.moodle.org or somewhere that document how different site settings are stored in different moodle tables? Thanks much! smile

BTW, if people think it's appropriate, I will create a Moodle tracker ticket (as a feature request) for this later. Thanks!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

Re: Global site settings export/import and database tables

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This has been discussed among the core developers several times. The other think I think would be really helpful is the option to log all admin config changes, with the option to require a compulsory comment (like a CVS commit comment) about each change.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Thanks Tim! By the way I just found this ticket MDL-6263. Should have done a little bit search on Tracker first (my bad!).

Logging all admin config changes might not work well for us that has a lot of local customizations (unless that you could also import/export these logs too). I think export/import using CVS or XML format would probably work better, just my $0.02...

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tariq Adel Al Ammadi -
I think logging all admin changes would be a very useful feature.

See MDL-11236.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Vicktorya Stone -

Hello -

I would appreciate seeing something like this, too. I feel like I'm on a fast track to becoming a developer! (No offense intended to all those who are actually developers, I'm just saying I am finding myself well further into some of the nuts and bolts than I ... had hoped.) 

Anyway, meanwhile, if the true bright lights can help me straighten out a current problem -- which has kept me out of the site for days now, with no end/solution in sight (or site), please review this:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=66281#p451493

thanks,

Vicktorya