Can User's Upload extra pictures, info, music or videos in Moodle?

Can User's Upload extra pictures, info, music or videos in Moodle?

by Marie Forleo -
Number of replies: 12
Hi There...I'm interested in using Moodle for an online learning group/social network. Is it possible to have members upload video content to their profile page?

Is it possible to create standard questions that each member will answer in their profile?

Thanks so much!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marie Forleo

Re: Can User's Upload extra pictures, info, music or videos in Moodle?

by Angelo Abruzzese -

Hi,

I am interested in this idea as well, if you have something worthy of sharing do let me know. I am trying to understand how to allow students to personalize their pages or perhaps how to allow them to include something like an mp3 player to their profile page and perhaps personalize the background and such.

What I want to achieve in my case is a social/teaching network site for poetry, so each student could effectively have their own personalized profile in order to show their uniqueness and showcase their work as well.

Thanks

Angelo A.

In reply to Angelo Abruzzese

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Angelo,

You may be better off looking at a joint use of Moodle and Mahara to achieve what you need..
In reply to Jon Witts

by Angelo Abruzzese -
Hi Jon,

I just took a look at their site and it does look promising, I will have to do a little research to see if anybody else has integrated Moodle and Mahara on the same site/server.

I have never stepped down from a challange so this will be quite the interesting little project, I am afraid the actual poetry teaching community will have to wait until I get a fully functioning site, I installed Moodel on my box and am just getting around to the SMTP portion.

Thanks for you replies, you give the Moodle family a great outlook.

Angelo A.

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
See here for a link to the documentation for integrating the two: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Mahoodle

Jon
In reply to Jon Witts

by Angelo Abruzzese -

Hi Jon,

Ok I decided to take the plunge but to be honest I need to retrograde UBUNTU first, I cannot find a solution to the Screen Resolution and its driving me bananas.

I will drop from Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop with all the bells and whistles, I love using Eclipse and bring it down to Ubuntu Server 9.04

I plan to use the ISPConf3 setup guide to make the server a full blown ISP type so I can easily host my own sites from Gui Based config screens.

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu-9.04-ispconfig-3

One of the issues I am having is that I am starting to chase down too many rabbit holes in order to get my SMTP mail service working on my Ubuntu box.

I almost felt like breaking out my RED HAT 5.0 admin bible, remember those monster books? If I do recall it was like 1000 pages or something along those lines.

So as it stands I have the moodle installed and running but SMTP is a mess and there does not seem to be a clear and KISS oriented with Screen Shots how to guide.

I wish there was one like the Moodle/Mahara SSO integration guide, now there is a little gem.

Anyways if and when I get this whole mess configured and working, then I can attack themes and plugins for now I am still at the basic get the server configured properly.

I truly hope what you said about Stability comes to fruition on the Linux Distro otherwise Windows will look like a Pristine 1957 Chevy or perhaps one of those
1969 GTX muscle cars.

I am not afraid of the command prompt... LOL

I keep telling myself that as I approach middle age and wonder where my PDP-7 guide went.

by Jon Witts -
Do you not have access to another SMTP server in your environment? I have found it easiest to just install sendmail on the Ubuntu box and then point Moodle at the main SMTP server in our environment (In this case a M$ exchange box).

Jon
In reply to Jon Witts

by Angelo Abruzzese -

Hi Jon,

Here is a general timeline of my experience so far messing with the most recent Linux and Moodle and throw in Mahara as well.

I wiped my Windows 2000 Server and installed Ubuntu Desktop, installed most of the packages required to run a server.   I had mysql and phpmyadmin running on there but no SMTP server, so I figured well why not go to a headless server build so I found those perfect server tutorials and went with the UBUNTO ISPCONFIG3 setup.

Reinstalled the OS on my box, set everything up as per the tutorial had ISPCONFIG running and then found they had no Next Step documentation or How to Use the software, so I did actually set up some clients and sites, but the SMTP was still not fucntioning properly.

So guess what, I found the ISPCONFIG2 which is a slightly different build process and geared towards single server environments. Well I installed that as per the tutorial and well in the end the SMTP was still not working, needless to say when I see someone saying follow this guide to the letter and you will have a fully functional server including SMTP using Postfix and TLS and SSL well I would bite my hand and go for it.

I wasted the better part of a day messing with these various THIS IS THE BEST WAY to configure your server tutorials.

Guess what it brought me right back to the days of playing with Red Hat 5 and the rpm hell, I finally reinstalled my server from scratch and follow a different tutorial that actually works, I need to get my DNS server setup so the mail system will work properly.

All in all, It was a great way to spend 20 hours or so over the weekend refreshing my memory on using VI and /etc/init.d/xxxxxx restart

smile

I did install mahara actually, it should be up and running at my sites url, I cannot view the pages from here at work.

http://24.203.21.161:8021/mahara

Anyways I will reinstall Moodle and see about doing the integration, see I did tell you I am not afraid of the command prompt.  What scares me is the unlimited supply of tutorials / rabbit holes that dont work or are based on really old technology.

Someone should invent the DELETE this page after 10 years button on the internet.

smile

by Jon Witts -
LOL - I agree about the DELETE button!

I am glad you seem to be getting there. Let us know how it goes.

Jon
In reply to Jon Witts

by Angelo Abruzzese -

Hi Jon,

Well the Moodle Install was a piece of cake on the last attempt, so I dont forsee any problems, but getting a proper local SMTP and DNS server running can be a hastle.  I am so used to using GUI's to administrate things that I find it tedious to use a command prompt.

So I went ahead and installed KUBUNTU over the top of my new server and guess what.... LOL

It broke the server, I could no longer boot into the gui or prompt, it was stuck in some crazy ram thing.

So back to the drawing board and another brand new install...  LOL

I am using my older box for this at the moment, I am seriously thinking of switching back to windows and run it all from there, but in keeping with the spirit of Moodle I will stick with a Linux box.

I am just wondering if thier is a distro that has all the server elements included and easy to configure.

I was trying to use squirrlemail and found that there plug in database has been comprimised and they pulled it temporarily.

All in all this whole experience is great computer fun for me, hell for my compu widow of a wife.

smile

I will let you know as soon as the site is back up and running and then I will tackle the SSO integration of Moodle and Mahara.

Albeit I must admit I am no big fan of SSO, it went down often at work and would cause all the sites that were integrated to come to a halt and wait for the SSO team to figure out what was happening.

by Jon Witts -
Angelo,

If you have access to another DNS and SMTP server through your ISP I would recommend using those rather than trying to install your own.

Using Ubuntu or Debian and following the instructions here it should only take a couple of hours from no OS on you server to fully functioning Moodle...

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Step-by-step_Install_Guide_for_Ubuntu

Jon
In reply to Jon Witts

by Angelo Abruzzese -

Hi Jon,

Yes I think that will be a better approach, was messing around on my box lastnight after having it pretty my configured down to a t and well... LOL

Time to reinstall the OS once again, it seems easier to just do a fresh install of the OS than to mess with settings.

Of this that will get old pretty quick so I will take it a little more seriously, for now it is all in a good warm-up phase.

I think I have reinstalled the OS on that box a dozen times in less than a week, so that being said, Windows would be a pain to reinstall that many times not that it is not doable of course.