Print functionality?

Print functionality?

by Chardelle Busch -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Core developers

Hi Skodak,

I just tried your module--very nice and very simple.  Good job!

I had a question about the print link--what exactly does it do?  It appears to just bring up the entire book, or chapter into a new window by itself--and possibliy without images?  I was wondering if it would be possible to have the print button bring up a printer friendly version of a file that was created and uploaded separately from the book page? 

E.g. I have my topics in a flash movie in a book format, and I also offer a printable version of the file (a pdf file).  Would it be possible for the print link to bring up the pdf file?

Also, the Lesson module has the ability to take the user back to where they left off -- would that be possible for your module?

I think a lot of people would like this type of module--as of now many use the lesson module for this type of functionality--and many do not only because the lesson module is a little intimidating. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chardelle Busch

Re: Print functionality?

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi!

Print icons display book/chapter in a new windows with printer friendly layout (all images should be displayed). You can print this page using browser print command (it even adds page breaks before each chapter) or you can save this page to disk using "save as command". The page is formatted by CSS.

I think you can add link to some pdf to the first page of each book. If more people request it I could create new option "linked pdf" and add some new icon for it next to print icons.

If you want to redefine the print icons for your site, I can give you detailed instructions wink

Taking back to the last place visited: interesting idea! If I add more levels it would be really useful smile I will keep it in mind for version 2.0

thanks for all comments!
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Chardelle Busch -

The print icons themselves are fine.  The only thing that would make your module functional for me is if the print button could open a course file, i.e., if there were a place to add a link to the pdf file for the print button for each book.  If this isn't possible, would it be possible to just get rid of the print icons altogether--and then have the link somewhere else?

Other than that it is so cool because as you can see from the test page I put on your site--Test with a Flash file (this is a page from a workbook)--on each page I have a link back to the Table of Contents, as well as previous page and next page links.  With your module, I could have each page loaded separately without having to have those links, making it look like an integrated part of the entire system (as a course topic)  rather than just a flash file thrown in. 

Thanks

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I will add a new option to hide print icons smile And will think about attached pdf later, I have to finish import tweaks first.
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Chardelle Busch -

Thanks so much!!  And a little, teeny, silly thing--is there any way to change the way the title appears above the "open book".  It is too large and doesn't fit my site designshy.

And thanks again---I am going to start using it now, but look forward to any updates!!!

by Petr Skoda -
Modify file mod/book/view.php - lines 163 and 176, the number specifies the size:

print_heading($currtitle, 'center', 5);
print_heading($currsubtitle, 'center', 4);

If you want to delete print icons for all books simply replace lines 145 and 146 with:

$printbook = '';
$printchapter = '';

skodak
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Shaan p -

Hi ,

As you have mentioned early ,

"If you want to redefine the print icons for your site, I can give you detailed instructions wink "

Can you please give me a detailed instruction about creating links to book which on click gets opened in a PDF file !!

Thanks in Advance

Average of ratings: Useful (1)