Setting up one-to-one tutorial system

Setting up one-to-one tutorial system

by Antony Coombs -
Number of replies: 2

Hello everyone -

On one of our programmes, the one-to-one tutorial system is set up according to a matrix, with each student assigned an individual tutor (such that the tutors all have approximately the same number of tutees). Tutors receive payment in part based on how comprehensively etc. they respond to their students' queries, so the programme administrators need access to the discussions between tutors and students.

I'm trying to work out how to set this up within Moodle in as automatic a way as possible (or possibly linking to other software from within the VLE, if this will be easier to set up).

We will shortly be on 1.9, so I have been thinking about using the groupings and automated group creation to set up a 1-1 forum for each student... But I don't know how to match the named tutor to the student in such groups without going back into each group and manually adding them -- we will be setting up 1,000+ tutorial pairings every eight weeks, so any manual process is going to be extremely inefficient.

The other issue is how to restrict the tutors to only seeing their named students in the 1-1 tutorial tool (however this is set up) - I guess we can do this by giving tutors a non-editing teacher role (they will not be building the courses)

Has anyone managed anything similar, or used any outside forum/helpdesk/other software to do the same kind of thing?

Any advice would be mightily appreciated

Cheers -- Tony

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Antony Coombs

Re: Setting up one-to-one tutorial system

by John Isner -
Hi Tony,
Rather than struggling with groups and visibility issues within a single course, I have found it easier to create a separate course for each student/tutor pair. You could use third party bulk course creation tool (which reads a csv file) to create the courses and assign the teacher and student to each. If you decide to use the tool, be sure to read the forum posts to get the latest version.
In reply to John Isner

Re: Setting up one-to-one tutorial system

by ata naseri -

Tony I am very new to Moodle. Can please kindly elaborate more on your proposed solution. It sounds good to me.