Moodle IDE Release (1.0.2)

Moodle IDE Release (1.0.2)

by Grady Laksmono -
Number of replies: 16
Hi Moodlers!
I'm Grady Laksmono, and I'm working for Moodle IDE project in the Google Summer of Code 2008 program. Now, I would like to gain more feedback, comments, and suggestions, so please let me know what do you think and your experience with it. I'll be using the comments and feedback to improve the IDE.

Moodle IDE 1.0.2
http://download.moodle.org/download.php/ide/Moodle-IDE_1_0_2.zip

Documentation
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Moodle_IDE

Release Notes
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Student_projects/Moodle_IDE#Releases

Thank you for all of your supports and constructive feedback! Please let me know by replying to this thread if you have any questions. I've updated the Readme, and I hope it would be "crystal" clear this time.. If not otherwise, there's a wiki page (documentation link) where people can put comment on the documentation, and I can update it without having to reupload the whole thing..

Regards,
Grady Laksmono
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Grady Laksmono

Re: Moodle IDE Release (1.0.2)

by Michael Betts -

Hi Grady,

I have downloaded the latest 1.0.2 version of the IDE and installed it in a directory C:\Moodle-IDE_1_2_0 I then open up eclippse and try to start a new project as outlined in the documentation and I still get the same error message as I got with the 1.0.1 version as detailed below.

Problem opening wizard

The selected wizard could not be started

reason: plug-in org.moodle was unable to load class
org.moodle.wizards.MoodleWizard

Any ideas?

Mike

(Edited by Martin Dougiamas to fix broken image - original submission Monday, 30 June 2008, 06:25 PM)

In reply to Michael Betts

by Grady Laksmono -
Hmmm.. This is a really weird problem, does anybody have the same or similar experience? I personally never encounter this problem whatsoever, I can't think of anything that may cause the problem..

When and where does the error appear exactly?

by Scott Karren -
I seem to be having better luck, I was able to create a new project and got started with the installation of Moodle. I got stuck when connecting to the database. I know under a normal installation that the database must already be created. It does not mention this in your documentation, should the IDE create the database for you?

Scott Karren
In reply to Scott Karren

by Grady Laksmono -
The current IDE does not create the database for the user, but I'll see what I can do to make that automated.. It should be some type of create database script that we have to run through, but I'm still abstract on this one..

Thanks for the input smile

by Scott Karren -

Gary

A couple more comments for you.  I made it past the db connection by manually creating the moodle db, worked fine after that.  The next step in your documentation is relating to CVS.  Is this pointing to the latest weekly build of Moodle or do I have the ability to change to the Moodle 1.9.1 branch?  If so, how do I do this?

The step after that is for Xdebug, all that is here is a link, do I need to follow the instructions on that page to setup debug capabilities?

Other then that, it looks really good and has been easy to setup.

Scott Karren

In reply to Scott Karren

by Grady Laksmono -
I'm assuming that you have the ability to change to the Moodle 1.9.1 branch if you have the username has the permission to do so.. So, when you want to connect to one of the servers, specify your username and password on the provided fields, then connect. This mean that you're connecting to the server using the username that you have the permission of.

For XDebug, yes you need to follow the instruction on that page to setup the debug capabilities.

by Michael Betts -

Hi again Larry,

these are the exact steps I have taken to get to the error message.

1. down load latest version of IDE from your link.
  2. UNZIP to c:\Moodle-IDE_1_0_2
  3. Run eclipse.exe
  4. Click 'OK' to accept default workspace.
  5. On the SDK welcome screen, select 'Go to workbench'
  6. Select from the menu FILE<NEW<OTHER
  7. In the 'Select a Wizard' dialogue box open the 'Moodle' foleder and select 'Moodle Project'
  8. Click 'NEXT' button and this is where the aformentioned error message arises.

One last question for you presuming that I eventually get over the error message problem, where do I put my copy of moodle, in the ...htdocs folder? Also should this be the ZIP file of Moodle or an unzipped copy?

regards

Mike 

by Grady Laksmono -
Wow, that's really weird problem.. It shouldn't have done that, I can't think out of anything right now that can cause that problem.. Has anybody had similar problem..?

reason: plug-in org.moodle was unable to load class
org.moodle.wizards.MoodleWizard

It seems like Eclipse couldn't find the class, but it's weird because if you can see the Moodle icon to start the wizard, then the plugin is already installed, but it seems like that it couldn't find the class to start the wizard.

The wizard will be asking a zip package of Moodle, the moodle will be extracted on your workspace, which in default is going to be the htdocs folder..

by Michael Betts -

Hi again Grady,

So when I get round the error message problem, I just point the wizard to a Zip file and the SDK wizard will unpack it to the workspace?

regards

Mike

by Grady Laksmono -
Ummm... Could you please explain how do you get around the error message problem here, so that it would also benefit everyone if they do have the same problem like yours.. smile Thanks!!!

You're right, the wizard will unpack it to the Project in your Workspace smile

by Michael Betts -

Hi Grady,

If I was to find a way around the error, I would be glad to most how to this forum. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to go about getting around the problem.

Mike thoughtful

by Grady Laksmono -
Thanks Michael,
Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful in this case, have you tried to reinstall everything again? (i.e. deleting all of the package, then start again from unpacking Moodle-IDE_1_0_2.zip package..)

Unpack it anywhere and leave everything using default configuration.. See where does that get you into..

by Michael Betts -

Hi again Grady,

I have just tried unpacking again to a different partition on my hard disk [D] accepted all defaults and got the same error message at exactly the same point in the process as I dercribed earlier.

regards

Mike

by Grady Laksmono -
Michael,
It's really weird problem, I just downloaded the package to my PC and try it, it works perfectly fine.. I can't find any ideas that cause that problem, I found similar problem on the web:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/FAQ_Why_do_I_get_a_%27plug-in_was_unable_to_load_class%27_error_when_I_activate_a_menu_or_toolbar_action%3F

http://semmle.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,26/topic,20.0/

Which is described as programmatic problem, but I don't see the problem occurs on my PC.. Is there anybody has the same problem..?