Flashcard module add-on: Change the Flashcard format

Flashcard module add-on: Change the Flashcard format

by Mel Fisher -
Number of replies: 6
HI!

Just started using the new v1.9 nice job!!!

I'm new so hope my questions aren't to bad....

Q1: I need to make the flashcard larger.... did not see any way to change it when I downloaded the Stylesheet file.... or I missed it?

Q2: Can the background also be changed?

Q3: Can I create groups of cards? and then have each flashcard use a group?

Q4: can cards be imported instead of doing the manual typing for each card?

Thanks again nice job.....

Mel

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mel Fisher

Re: Flashcard module add-on: Change the Flashcard format

by Valery Fremaux -

No Mel, not too bad,

enthusiastic for a new road map section !!

- changing the cards background can be done changing the images in the standard /mod/flashcard distro, and may be also done invoking simple image names in the customized stylesheet. Just upload the new images at the same location in /moddata/flashcard/%flashcardid1% folder in the course files.

It should switch the images.

I will review my code for helping taking more control on appearance to the teacher.

Group of flashcards : maybe using just matching questions in question bank. This is also a fast way to import and reuse a set of questions. Unfortunately, I didn't write the code that stores back a flashard set in a matching question.

Importing flashcards : I feared users would ask me for that. Of course, importing and exporting flashcard definitions in a simple and transportable text format (maybe zip for bundled text + media files) would be great. I think it is a so legitimate demand ! In the next road map, hush !! 

In reply to Valery Fremaux

by Mel Fisher -
Hi! Thank You for your comments..... good job! now that you have upgraded the quality of the module I can see new possibilities....

The reason for my questions is that I am working on a Medical Terminology Class and being able to resize the flashcard is needed because of the amount of text needed for some terms. Now the font is so small it is hard to read.....
The setting to resize the flashcard could be in the CSS file...

So the only way to create groups of flashcards is to create a question bank..ok How are the bank of questions selected? Sorry I missed that since I have not used the question module yet... I'm really new!!! smile

I think it would be very useful to have a dropdown box showing the user what bank (group) of questions are available? They could dynamically select bank1 (study area 1) bank 2 etc. What do you think? smile It would be more dynamic and keep the student from going back and forth to multiple flashcards within the lesson... the dropdown box could be added next to the <reset cardset> button...

And finally I just realized that each Flashcard is limited to only one type of input (text or sound or ??) It is great that you have added these other capabilites.... but in the real world not all questions are static like that... some questions might be text then a sound questions then another text.... so when you edit cards add a way to select the type of question.... another dropdown box... smile where I can select (text,sound,images,??)

Hope this makes sense..... With these changes each flashcard will be more flexible and interactive.....

Thanks for listening....
Mel

In reply to Mel Fisher

by Valery Fremaux -

"I think it would be very useful to have a dropdown box showing the user what bank (group) of questions are available?"

You have it in the activities parameter, when a matching question is reachable. You have to "force reload" the flashcard to import the questions/answer pairs. The media type of the question and/or answers will remain unchanged.

"per card media type"

I will not prone making this change : memorizing with flashcard needs some kind of mechanical training being processed, so the memorization comes in a quite protoconscious field. changing the media from one card to the other will break the automated cognitive process, with surprising sollicitations. Although it may seem it be "nice" providing versatility in content type, it may be counterproductive on the learning process itself.

Enhancements in aspect control is to be done... anyway.

Cheers. 

by scott brill -

I really like your flashcards!  Yes, it would be great to import a list of cards that contain media file linkages.  Maybe you could use Moodle XML format to import into the Question bank?

Thanks,

Scott

Re: Change the Flashcard format NEW COMMENT!

by Nina Kappler -

Dear Valery,

regarding to Mel´s questions (long time age: summer 2008), here is our current demand:

Q4: Can cards be imported instead of doing the manual typing for each card?

Q1: I need to make the flashcard larger.... did not see any way to change it when I downloaded the Stylesheet file.... or I missed it?

Your answer on Q4: Importing flashcards : I feared users would ask me for that. Of course, importing and exporting flashcard definitions in a simple and transportable text format (maybe zip for bundled text + media files) would be great. I think it is a so legitimate demand ! In the next road map, hush !! 

Your answer on Q3: Group of flashcards : maybe using just matching questions in question bank. This is also a fast way to import and reuse a set of questions. Unfortunately, I didn't write the code that stores back a flashard set in a matching question.

We will use the flashcards within a training and have the following demand:

Q4: We have 356 questions - it would be much time-saving - to import the Q&A´s? Is this possible?

Q3: Can you explain us how it works with the 'matching questions in question bank' to build groups?

Q1: We need the answers more 'clearly-arranged', e.g. we need bulletpoints and the text should be left-aligned.

Can you help us? Thanks you very much for your answer.

Kindly Regards

Change the Flashcard format

by Nina Kappler -

Dear Valery,

regarding to Mel´s questions (long time age: summer 2008), here is our current demand:

Q4: Can cards be imported instead of doing the manual typing for each card?

Your answer on Q4: Importing flashcards : I feared users would ask me for that. Of course, importing and exporting flashcard definitions in a simple and transportable text format (maybe zip for bundled text + media files) would be great. I think it is a so legitimate demand ! In the next road map, hush !! 

Your answer on Q3: Group of flashcards : maybe using just matching questions in question bank. This is also a fast way to import and reuse a set of questions. Unfortunately, I didn't write the code that stores back a flashard set in a matching question.

We will use the flashcards within a training and have the following demand:

Q4: We have 356 questions - it would be much time-saving - to import the Q&A´s? Is this possible?

Q3: Can you explain us how it works with the 'matching questions in question bank' to build groups?

Q1: We need the answers more 'clearly-arranged', e.g. we need bulletpoints and the text should be left-aligned.

Can you help us? Thanks you very much for your answer.

Kindly Regards