Modelling a course

Modelling a course

by Aleksandr Zuravliov -
Number of replies: 5
Hello,

I need to create Moodle courses for several tutors.

To agree on a course structure and logical paths we need to discuss first of all some formal model of a course.

Maybe somebody has experience in modeling Moodle courses with the help of UML (www.uml.org)?

I wouldn't like to invent the wheel in case if some notation, naming conditions, etc. are already settled.

Thank you,
Aleksandr Zuravliov
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Aleksandr Zuravliov

Re: Modelling a course

by Mark Drechsler -
Hi Aleksandr,

I haven't tried this but the idea is interesting - what kind of UML diagram type would you use, and for what purpose? I can see how you could get started with a class diagram, but I'm not quite sure of the end goal you're trying to achieve in applying UML models to Moodle courses - unless you're just trying out of interest, which would also be good smile

Interested to hear how you go with it anyway.

Mark.

Mark Drechsler
Netspot (Australian Moodle Partner)

In reply to Mark Drechsler

by Aleksandr Zuravliov -
Thank you for your answer Mark,
The tutors I am working with need such an option in their courses: in case if student is unsuccessful with some excersises, he is forced to do more practical work.

How to implement such logic in Moodle, perhaps, is a separate topic. I've got some sketches to try out first.

Independently from implementation, we need a way to model the logical path of a course. Now I am using activity diagrams. And just wonder whether some standards of modelling course logic exist.

Best wishes,
Aleksandr

by Ger Tielemans -
I studied UML en IMS/LD ("the eternal promise") in the past, but wonder more and more why I (and you?) are not using the more flexible and forgiving visual structure of Moodle as Structure-organiser:

The first level of this structure in the course section overview page:
  • consider a course as a set of themes/topics, covering the subject
  • consider a section as the container that holds one or more tasksets
  • build tasksets (in the past I used the name learning-object for this) of the structure:
    • always label as covering header
    • orientation part: text, multimedia, sometimes pretest
    • exercise part:
    • diagnostic test (yourself) part
    • broaden part:
      • glossary filled with lemma's by the students
      • a group wiki where students apply (and document) the theory
      • questions constructed by students covering the theory (1.9)
    • reflection:... there are several additional (structuring) formats to organise bigger projects
If you need metadata, then browse the forums, there are several additional modules (even LOM and Dublin Core) created in the past to cover that aspect..

by John Isner -
Aleksandr,
The IMS Learning Design standard specifies how learning objects are supposed to be sequenced in a Learning Management System. You can find the UML diagrams for their information model here. Unfortunately today there is no easy way to enforce a sequence in Moodle. You will have to wait for Moodle 2.0, which will have Conditional activities, but as far as I know, it will not be IMS LD compliant. Conditional activities is being developed at the Open University. Perhaps they will have UML Diagrams smile