Block: Menu Block (menu_site_and_course)
Requires: Moodle 1.8 or later
Maintainer(s): Charles Kelly
The following documentation is included included in the zip file. See "download latest version" at the bottom of this page.
- This is the kind of user-friendy menu that web users are very familiar with using.
- I've tested it on Moodle 1.9 and Moodle 1.8. Perhaps it works on other versions too.
- I've had no problems with this and have had several other sites test it.
- However, as with all "Contributed" block, use it at your own risk. (In other words, try it with a test site first, before installing it into a production site.)
- It's similar to Moodle's "Section Links" block. However, instead of just jumping to that section, this will "collapse" the course and will only show that one lesson.
- There are "roll-over" navigation buttons with the titles of the lessons. (The "Section Links" block only shows numbers.)
- Course-level and site-level buttons are not the same.
- If you are on the "front page," then a "login" button is at the top of the menu, unless you are logged in, then it is hidden.
- The "Participants" link is included, so the "People" block isn't needed.
- You can easily edit one variable in the file to not have this show, if you prefer.
- Also, links to "Calendar" and "Courses" are included. You can edit one variable in the file to choose not to show them.
- Things that students need from the Administration Block are included, so you don't need it to have it on the page.
- Note, for teachers, we use the Admin (Teachers) block that only gets displayed to teachers.
- The colors are limited to grays (greys), so the menu should blend in with any color scheme.
- The the buttons are grouped by different shades of gray.
- You can easily change the color of the buttons by editing the "styles.php" file in the block's folder.
- If you are in a "course," then the top link is "Home" and it will take you back to the "front page."
The Parts of the Image Explained
- This shows the front page before visitors log in.
- This show how the menu looks on the front page after logging in.
- This shows how a logged-in student sees the menu.
- This shows how another language is handled.
- The parts that are in Japanese in this image, will be in the student's chosen language.
- Also, note that in the menu, long Japanese titles (2-byte characters) still get truncated OK.
- This shows how the menu looks for a guest in courses that allow guest access.
- This shows the menu when all "weeks" or "topics" are shown.
- This shows the collapsed "show one" lesson mode.
- This shows how the menu can fit on the page. I prefer placing it in upper-left corner since that's where a majority of other websites have their navigation menus.
See a Demo
Record added by Charles Kelly
- Monday, 24 March 2008, 7:32 PM
Last modified - Tuesday, 22 April 2008, 2:40 PM