Mahara integration problem

Mahara integration problem

by Jason Bedell -
Number of replies: 6
Hello,

I am trying to install Mahara to add a social networking element to MOODLE. I am trying to follow the steps on the Mahara website: http://www.mahara.org/wiki/En/Sysadmin_Guide/Installing_Mahara. I should add that I have shared hosting through www.siteground.com. I've gotten through step 4, but when I try to go to the webpage to install it (step 5), I get the following message:

Mahara could not connect to the application database.

* If you are using Mahara, please wait a minute and try again
* If you are the administrator, please check your database settings and make sure your database is available

The error received was:
postgres7 error: [-1: Database connection failed] in CONNECT(localhost, '', '****', )

Does anyone know what this means or how to fix it? I do not have much experience trying to install applications on servers.

Thank you for your help.
Jason Bedell
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason Bedell

Re: Mahara integration problem

by Jason Bedell -
I tried putting the name of the database, the usernam, and the password in config.php, but it yielded this error:

postgres7 error: [-1: Database connection failed] in CONNECT(localhost, 'createdb', '****', U)
In reply to Jason Bedell

by Jason Bedell -
Sorry to make you all a part of my 6 hour saga, but now that I seem to have fixed the database problem, and installed Mahara, I get this error:
[ENV] ac You have dangerous PHP settings, magic_quotes_gpc is on. Mahara is trying to work around this, but you should really fix it.

Does anyone know how to turn off magic_quotes_gpc?
In reply to Jason Bedell

by Jason Bedell -
Alright, the tech support people at siteground (they only communicate slowly by email) turned off magic_quotes_gpc. Now, when I try to login or register some, I get the following on a white screen:

Fatal error: Exception thrown without a stack frame in Unknown on line 0

Has anyone gotten this to work properly?

In reply to Jason Bedell

by Jez H -
Yes I have had it working. I had a few problems also, but stick with it, it is well worth a few hours of hair pulling... it really is a great application!

As someone else suggested I would take this up in the forums at mahara.org

Once you have Mahara installed and working this document will help you integrate moodle / mahara:

https://eduforge.org/docman/view.php/176/3200/Mahoodle.pdf

Jeremy
In reply to Jason Bedell

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Just a thought... have you checked or asked in the support forum over at mahara.org? I've always found the guys over there to be really helpful and, after all, this *is* the Moodle help forum tongueout
In reply to Jason Bedell

Re: Mahara integration problem --- mahoodle!

by Heiko Idensen -
hi Jason,

have you been sucessful with your attempt trying to install mahara at siteground?
please let me know, because i also tried a lot and got a lot of database problems

at the end error massages like this:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /home/web2ler/public_html/mahara/config.php on line 94
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /home/web2ler/public_html/mahara/config.php on line 122

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /home/web2ler/public_html/mahara/config.php on line 95

mahara and moodle would be such a great connection!

there is also an intiative in
Moodle & Mahara ->> Mahoodle
http://ewiesion.com/moodle19dev/

with some document about this topic!

godd luck!

heiko idensen