WebDav and Moodle beta version

by Adrian Stock -
Number of replies: 5

Hi All,

Is there a beta version of Moodle about into which WebDav has been incorporated?

If so, where can I get hold of it to try it out.

Is there only one beta version of Moodle about, or could there be several different beta versions? How does Moodle beatification work?

Thanks.

Adrian

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adrian Stock

Re: WebDav and Moodle beta version

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Adrian (presumably you're looking at the CLEO Moodle site again smile ) My school Moodle is hosted by CLEO. But you don't actually need Webdav if you can ftp anyway. And the staff at the school don't necessarily need Webdav unless they want to upload particularly big files or not have to zip them up - useful, I admit, however. I can't answer your question though, sorry!  I use webdav with our school's Moodle - what  else did you want to know about it?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by alison wilson -

We set up the Webdav functionality to enable our schools to upload larger files, rather that rely on us to upload for them. For various reasons the upload limit for our schools is set at 30mb, so we enabled schools to use Webdav to literally drag and drop large files into the Moodle course files.

As Mary says, if you have ftp access anyway, you don't necessarily need Webdav.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Adrian Stock -
Hi Mary,

Thanks again for your helpfulness (all over the place). Re Webdav, yes I know I do not need it because I can ftp large files. My teachers (those I have to support) do not need it because I have fixed Moodle and the server in such a way that the file limits are HUGE; much more than they will ever need. So they can upload large files from inside the Moodle interface without coming to me for help.

But nevertheless they are clamouring for WebDav and claim some miraculous properties for it. Perhaps webdav does something else, apart from uploading large files.

It would be nice to know what it is, if anything.

But anyway, I want to get those two teachers and their complaints of my back, so I will give them WebDav whether they need it or not. (Ever heard about pesterpower? They must have learnt that from their pupils.)

Can you, or anybody else tell me where to download WebDav, which version to choose (to make it similar to the CLEO installation), and where to find installation instructions?

Thanks.

Adrian

In reply to Adrian Stock

by Matt Gibson -
There is a patch you can apply to a 1.9 installation to get webdav functionality, but you will needa access to the files on the moodle server to apply it. Find it here.
In reply to Matt Gibson

by Adrian Stock -
Hi Matt,

Thanks for that information. Very useful.

I do have ftp access to the server.

Thanks.

Adrian