New Moodle Theme- XO_OLPC

New Moodle Theme- XO_OLPC

by Philip Colburn -
Number of replies: 9

This theme that i've attached to this post is specifically designed for the XO laptops distributed by the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) program.  I created it as part of a senior year project for my school. It's very basic- the user can adjust color schemes and such to suit them, but the difference is that it is designed to work with the unique properties of the XO laptop in ways that most webpages don't.  I would really appreciate it if those who have the XO laptop could test it out and post issues that I need to deal with here.  Please also feel free to check out the accompanying wiki page at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Webpage_design_tips  Thanks! In order to install this theme, just extract the folder, and paste into your C:/moodle/moodle/theme folder, then select it from the theme selection list.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Philip Colburn

Re: New Moodle Theme- XO_OLPC

by Shaun Daubney -
Would be great to see it but I'm not at work at the moment so can't install a copy on my server. Would you be able to post a screenshot? I'm a keen follower of the OLPC programme would be great to see how this gets on.
In reply to Shaun Daubney

by Philip Colburn -

Sure thing - here it is.

Note- This screenshot was taken on a normal computer- not an XO, so the offsets dont work as well.  The key features are the floating images in the corners that mark the hotspots for the menu, and the margins designed to prevent content from being obscured when the menu comes up.  Like i said, this is a VERY simplistic theme designed to be able to be modified by the user in order to fit individual preferences.

For some reason the floating images don't show up unless you are logged in.  Working on that now.  I'm by no means an experienced programmer, but I'm doing my best.

by Carol Lerche -
This theme is very nice for a literate adult or older child but is way too text oriented for a young child. Perhaps this is inherent in moodle itself, but I can't imagine that a student should be seeing the administrative options on their page. A teacher should click a link to get to these choices, or they should be suppressed entirely if the person accessing the page is known to be a student.

The course selections should have icons as well as names, to allow very young or illiterate users to access the choices.

Just one person's opinion.

Carol Lerche

PS screenshot attached of a Drupal theme I made for a kindergarten ... the words at the top are links to sections, with "Adults" leading to the (more complex) adult oriented portion of the website.
Attachment simple.gif

by Dante Leon -
Phil,
I got my XO last December through the G1G1 program and I am interested in seeing your theme in the XO. There is one thing I need help with though, do you know where I can get information on how to install Moodle in the XO as a local host?

Thanks,

Dante
In reply to Dante Leon

by Philip Colburn -
I was unable to install Moodle on the XO itself, the only way that I did it was to install Moodle on my normal laptop and change the line under config.php in the moodle/moodle folder to my IP address and connect both the normal laptop and the XO to a wireless network,  so they have a computer-computer link, then navigate to http:// [my ip address] on the XO to get the moodle site.

by Martín Langhoff -
Fantastic! It would be good if it could work correctly on a conventional screen (by having relative positioning, and perhaps sizes). Some teachers will have a full-sized laptops, and other versions ofthe XO (like XO-2) will have a different screen.

Is that something you could perhaps tune?
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by elearning edu -

Earlier I used a conventional moodle theme in the server http://moodle.elearning.edu

and through Wi-Fi acessed Moodle in XO.  I even conneced XO to audio-video application in FMS and had the problem with XO camera. 

Nagarajan