A service for "peak situations" like exams ... etc

A service for "peak situations" like exams ... etc

by Don Quixote -
Number of replies: 5
Hi all,

it seems to me that such "peak situations" are a major problem for many users. I also think that for many, the average load to their moodle installation is low and peaks are only occuring periodically and quite predictible like during exams.

So yesterday, I got the idea that it might be a good thing to have a service with a performant server, where moodlers can do such specific activities without giving up their standard installation. For instance
  • reserve the server for an exam day
  • upload the exam and student data,
  • carry out the exam
  • moving the data / results back to the standard installation
I believe that the costs for "renting" a day like that can be quite low if there is a real need for that.

As I don't like to talk to much about such problems and doing nothing to solve it wink ... I've just set up an installation at http://mymoodlepeaks.emathpool.org (sorry had no better name for it yet).

Everyone who is interested can join there and it would be great if someone takes the risk to be the pioneer and give us a try. smile

Any comments about my idea is very much appreciated.

Andreas

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Don Quixote

Re: A service for "peak situations" like exams ... etc

by Pio Garcia -

Andreas

I think its a great idea. I agree with you that for some of us the major problem is "peak situations", and I also hope that someone "takes the risk to be the pioneer and give us a try"....

I think that this solution could resolve (in some degree) the compromise between low budget and eventual high demands...

In reply to Pio Garcia

by Don Quixote -
Hi Pio,

about the pioneers...  The first who pioneers with emathpool won't be charged for anything smile

And if I calculate it roughly, this service should afterwards also be affordable for "lower-income countries".  (The key point is if there is enough demand for it.)

Btw, the fees for all upcoming emathpool services will always depend on the country of our users. This is my personal commitment.

Cheers
Andreas
In reply to Don Quixote

by elearning edu -
Hi Andreas,
Thanks for your responsive offer for managing the peak load, particularly using quiz nodule with a large number of quiz takers. As a representative of a third world country, India, I am happy to note that the fees will be affordable. With regard to pioneering, my work so far involved the use of maximum 400 students. My suggestion is that I can backup and send you a moodle lesson used for helping graduate students to prepare for an entrance test. If you want you may upload the test and request a specified number of test takers to take the real time online teat so that the load balancing may be assessed proerly.
Prof.V.Nagarajan
In reply to Don Quixote

by Pio Garcia -
Hi, Andreas:
I think that there are many people who could use this kind of service. There are many different situations (and different needs) for moodle users. And this could be a solution for some of this situation. I will try with your service.
Thanks.

Pio
In reply to Don Quixote

by Don Quixote -
Hi Nagarajan, hi Pio,

thanks for your interest. I will contact you for the details of the test runs. Also I will do some benchmark tests on the server in the next days to be prepared.

We keep in touch.

Best Regards
Andreas