Dimdim Web Meeting Module related queries

Dimdim Web Meeting Module related queries

by Rajesh Dharmalingam -
Number of replies: 48

Hi All,

Kindly post your queries / issues / suggestions / feedback regarding Dimdim Web Meeting Module under this discussion topic.

Regards,

-Rajesh

rajesh@dimdim.com

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rajesh Dharmalingam

Re: Dimdim Web Meeting Module related queries

by moronke fajobi -

i created the dimdim web meeting as an admin and i  got the link " click here to start meeting" which i clicked on and got access to the dimdim web meeting page and i started the meeting.

i logged out and logged in as a teacher of that course, but i got the link "click here to join meeting". i clicked on the link and the dimdim web meeting page displayed the teachers email, name and meeting key with the message

"Unable to find a conference by the key: cleswunawrachi. Please check the key and try again"
same occured when i logged in as a student.
the version of the moodle is 1.8.2 which i think is same as the integration pack.

by Kshitij Chandrasen -
Background:

Using moodle version 1.9.1

I have moodle installed, and was trying to integrate it with dimdim. Downloaded the package and followed the steps. When I clicked on notifications in the administrator account, no "success" message for setting up new database was returned.
Doubts:
1. In the installation details, the folder dimdim in $temp/moodle1_9_dimdim_1_6_@_integration_pack/lang/in_utf8/help/ was rather in $temp/moodle1_9_dimdim_1_6_@_integration_pack/lang/in_utf8. The "help" folder was not there and a dimdim folder was there, so just confirming if thats the same one. ( the folder dimdim which was copied to */help just had one file mods.html)
help me out please..
In reply to Kshitij Chandrasen

by Deepak Prasad -

Hi Chandrasen,

I also came across the same problem. Did you manage to find out what is wrong?

Thanks.

by sundaravadivel natarajan -

Hi Rajesh,

i created the dimdim web meeting as an admin and i  got the link " click here to start meeting" which i clicked on and got access to the dimdim web meeting page and i started the meeting.

i logged out and logged in as a teacher of that course, but i got the link "click here to join meeting". i clicked on the link and the dimdim web meeting page displaying  conference key and i try to submitting, its throwing an error "Unable to find a conference by the key: cleswunawrachi. Please check the key and try again"

same occured when i logged in as a student.
Please give me suggestion ASAP........
 Regards,
Sundaravadivel
In reply to sundaravadivel natarajan

by Philip Greenwood -
Here's what I found so far:

I'm using Moodle 1.9.3 and Dimdim 4.0..with that alpha integration patch.

1) I have to be logged-in as administrator to start a Dimdim web conference (being a teacher isn't enough). Perhaps I need to adjust the permissions - something I'll try shortly.

2) When I do start a meeting as an administrator, then Dimdim doesn't accept the conference key provided by the Moodle plug-in. Moodle does send it (it's in the URI (address) string). Dimdim suggests a new unique conference key at this point.

To fix it, you can copy the conference key from the URI (the string of letters after &confKey= ) and paste it into the Room Name field. This starts up a conference with the right name.

It's probably also worth checking the features tab to make sure these are correct too.

I know this is an interim solution, but it does work - students can follow the link, and get into the conference seamlessly. Which is the objective, really.

(Also, I suspect the fix will be in the dimdim code, rather than the Moodle code or the plug-in).

Cheers!

In reply to Philip Greenwood

by Clark Moodler -
I found the same as Philip (moodle 1.9.3, recent install) that only administrator can start a meeting. I did not find a fix for this in roles setup.

More on this here:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=112192#p498544

what's the fix for this?

thanks!
In reply to Clark Moodler

by Philip Greenwood -
I've attached a file called view.php to replace the original one. (Download link to the right). I modified the original script, and I've been using it OK now for a couple of months.

About 2/3 of the way down, you'll need to include your own dimdim username and password. That should be the only edit you need to make. It's well sign-posted with comments. Please be aware that this only supports one conference account!

I'm not a professional coder...so please, back up your site before installing - and you can use the code only if you accept you do so at your own risk. Also, I'm not going to answer support questions - I'm too busy right now. By all means ask...but any answers will need to come from others.

Good luck!

Philip

by Janet Smith -
Hi All,

I tested Phillip's patch and it is a step in the right direction! The teacher can start the meeting and the students can automatically sign into the same meeting easily. However, by hard coding the Username and Password into the view.php file, it means that only one meeting can be in progress at a time.

My PHP skills are not so good but can anyone think of a way to take what Phillip did and modify the logic to use the Meeting Key DimDim assigns, so that different keys can be assigned to different meetings?

Thanks!
Janet
In reply to Janet Smith

by Philip Greenwood -
Hi All,

I said I wouldn't respond, but I guess I reserve the right! It's been bugging me, because the current solution is hardly elegant! So I've got five minutes...

An elegant way: Develop functionality in Moodle that tracks login and password information for external sites by site, user and (optionally) course (plus a few other discretional fields). This would allow patch code to call up relevant information for log-ins that are in context. Unfortunately it's a lot of code, and you'd need to plug yourself into the development community of moodle so that the content was consitent with development standards, fell under version control, and (hopefully) was adopted in the trunk version. Big effort.

A kludge: Hard-code it into the view.php file...identify the user and write a conditional code to provide log-in and password according to the user. This would mean you'd need to keep updating the code as users came and went. It would probably consume a day to research, design and implement.

Perhaps there's a forum for feature requests? Maybe the code warriors at dimdim would like to do this?

Cheers!

Philip

by Danny Lee -

Hi,

Using Moodle 1.9.3 with DimDim 4.5 everything is working fine but it seems only a single admin/teacher can be in a meeting at once?  When another teacher joins they kick out the previous.  Students can join fine.  Is this a limitation or a bug?

Thanks,

Danny

In reply to Danny Lee

by Philip Greenwood -
As it stands, the code doesn't check to see if the meeting is in progress, it merely checks whether the user has the authority to start it, before it goes ahead and starts it.

The line in view.php: if($PAGE->user_allowed_editing())

needs a more elaborate condition to include a check whether the meeting is in progress...not sure how to do it, and I don't have time to investigate, I'm afraid.

Philip

by Janet Smith -
One other thing I noticed....the Meeting Duration in the Dim Dim Block seems to change back to 1 hour, no matter what I set it to. I can choose 4 hours, press Save and come back in and it is set to 1 hour.

Has anyone else seen that? Anyone know how to fix it?

In reply to Janet Smith

by Philip Greenwood -
I've noticed it, but it hasn't troubled me because you can always extend your meeting in Dimdim.

Philip

by Gary Benner -
Is anyone working on enhancing the Moodle - > Dimdim mod? It needs work but I don't want to duplicate efforts.

gary
In reply to Gary Benner

by David Bogner -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Gary,

you can contact support@dimdim.com or uday.khatua@dimdim.com to check out if the dimdim developers are working on an update of the module. They are in general very helpful. I already contacted them concerning this problem, but didn't have time to work with them on the solution.

Yours,
david
In reply to Gary Benner

by David Bogner -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi,

there is a dimdim issue tracker, but they don't seem to want to fix the problems, as there is no schedule for them:
http://support.dimdim.com/browse/DEV/component/10013
In reply to David Bogner

by Clark Moodler -
Hi all,

Keeping in mind that these forums are better for questions and answers rather than issue documentation and resolution (which should be reported, discussed, voted on, and resolved on tracker.moodle.org), I've documented the DimDim issue regarding the fact that an administrator is the only person who can "start" the dimdim meetings here in the Moodle issue tracker:

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-1041

This appears to be something as you can see from the link above, that can be fixed in the moodle/mod/dimdim/view.php file on the Moodle side.

I've also set up a ticket for the issue related to the difference between the "room name" that is generated when an admin clicks on 'start meeting' and a student user clicks on 'join meeting'

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-1044

Finally, I have some questions for Rajeesh (or anyone else):

In Moodle, when setting up a DimDim webmeeting activity, the Update/configure page gives me several options I am curious about, because they seem to be quite different from the options when setting up a meeting using DimDim Free on the Dimdim web site.

For example:

Maximum Participants: 20 40 60 80 100 200 300 400 500

Can one really add up to 500 participants? Or is it really limited to 20?
Meeting Duration in hours: 1 2 3 4 5

Can one really set up and hold a meeting for up to 5 hours, or is it really limited to 1?
Attendee Mikes: 0 1 2 3 4 5

Can one really set up 5 mikes, or is it really limited to 3, like with DimDim Free?

Oh, and I have one more question:

After clicking as administrator to start the meeting, the "Dial-In" tab is blank. Is telephone bridging not available for the Moodle module users then, or is is possible to use a line I have through my regular Dimdim.com account here and put that in? Or is this a bug?

Thanks!
Clark

by Rajesh Dharmalingam -
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the very delayed response.

We will be releasing the latest Moodle-Dimdim Integration pack that supports Dimdim 4.5 in the next couple of days. This pack will have feature turn on/off of Dimdim features from within Moodle, enhanced UI for Dimdim module within Moodle and some of the issues will be addressed

Thanks,
-Rajesh
rajesh@dimdim.com

by Mafalda . -

Please let us know when you have the latest Moodle-Dimdim Integration pack so that we can work with it.

I believe it will solve the problem that only administrator can start the meeting, right?

Thanks

by David Durr -

Rajesh,

Will the conference key issue be resolved soon?

The issue is that when I create a new DimDim meeting, a conference key is created and stored in the database.  The conference key is passed in the URL to http://www1.dimdim.com/dimdim/html/signin/signin.action when I try to start a meeting, but the script on www1.dimdim.com creates another conference key.  If I enter the conference key from the URL manually, everything works out, but I shouldn't have to do this.

Same thing happens when students try to connect to a conference.

Also, II'd like to write a module that uses the DimDim API method to start a conference.  However, this involves passing the DimDim username and password to www1.dimdim.com in plain text. 

Is there a secure server somewhere that can accept an encrypted password?

Thanks.

In reply to David Durr

by Clark Moodler -
There is a new version of the DimDim activity called Moodle_v1.9-Dimdim_v4.5 Open source Integration Pack.zip - that fixes the conference key issue, and it was supposed to be released a couple weeks ago, but it seems Rajesh has gone missing...

by Rajesh Dharmalingam -
Hi,

Extremely sorry for the delayed response. Was busy working with the next release of Dimdim along with some fixes of Moodle Integration pack. The fixes are taking some more time, so we have released the Moodle-Dimdim 4.5 Integration pack and is available at https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=176809&package_id=313565&release_id=667229.

The following are the features that are added / addressed with the latest pack:
1. The problem related to Admin only can start a meeting is addressed
2. Feature turn on / off – Before starting a meeting we can turn on / off the features supported by Dimdim
3. Support to the latest Dimdim 4.5 release
4. Enhanced UI of the Dimdim Module from within Moodle

Important Note:

- If you have the previous version of Moodle-Dimdim Integration, as there is a significant change between the older and the current release, you need to follow the below steps before installing the latest pack:
1. Remove the dimdim module from modules table of Moodle database. The command to delete the dimdim module from mdl_modules will be
delete from mdl_modules where id=19
2. If you have scheduled any Dimdim meeting, you need to clean up those entries from mdl_event.
The command to delete the entries will be delete from mdl_event where courseid=2
or
you can delete by the subject you gave for the scheduled meeting

For detailed information about deploying the Dimdim Module or using Dimdim from within Moodle, please refer the document that is available for download in the above mentioned location.

Please let us know if you are facing with any issues while deploying or using this pack.

Regards,
-Rajesh
rajesh@dimdim.com

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

回應: Re: Dimdim Web Meeting Module related queries

by Ken Wong -
hi rajesh,

I just wondering dimdim web meeting able to have grouping function, or any plan to implement it.

My situation
I want create a meeting just for several students in the course, the rest of them not able to join, or can't see that meeting would much better? I know grouping can do this, or any way i can achieve this?

-Ken
In reply to Ken Wong

Re: 回應: Re: Dimdim Web Meeting Module related queries

by Rajesh Dharmalingam -
Hi Ken Wong,

I will discuss with our Product Management team and add it as an enhancement request.

Thanks,
-Rajesh
rajesh@dimdim.com

by Stephen Carr -
This all looks good except one thing for me. I'd like to restrict who can start a meeting in DimDim and so have changed DimDim to require a username (I set up my own DimDim 4.5 instance and don't want anyone just using the server for conferences). It looks like in the documentation for the Moodle Integration, a username is mentioned as one of the fields to fill out but when I create a DimDim meeting I don't see it listed. If I view the source I see the header for username there but no input box or anything. Does anyone know how to change that so I can populate that field and thus allow my list of authorized users to get access?

by Kevin Kiernan -
I just instsalled Moodle 1.94 and the DimDim integration pack. My confusion is in naming the server. No matter how I name my server/domain in the module, I cannot start my Meeting without generating a 404 error. How is the URL defined? I am using shared Apache hosting.
In reply to Kevin Kiernan

by Rajesh Dharmalingam -
Hi Kevin Kiernan,

If you have your own Dimdim Server - Community edition, you can point your Dimdim module of Moodle to your own server. If you do not have your Dimdim server, you can point to our hosted server www1.dimdim.com and port number 80.

Thanks,
-Rajesh

by Kevin Kiernan -
Thanks!

I actually figured that one out over the weekend. My system is up and running and I completed some initial testing yesterday and it worked fine. I hadn't realized at first that the DimDim server install was separate from the Integration pack install.

Kevin

by Jeffrey Silverman -
Technical note regarding the command to delete the DimDIm module from mdl_modules:

That command, used verbatim, can hurt your Moodle site!

Please don't just use "where id=19" -- the mdl_modules table id's vary per Moodle site. So for any given site that might be "where id=23" or something different from 19. (For example, on my test site, the dimdim mod is id 9.)

A better statement is "where name = 'dimdim'"

The same thing goes with statement to delete from mdl_event.

Sorry, I am not trying to say Rajesh is wrong overall, I just want to make sure people don't accidentally harm their Moodle installation.

Thanks!
In reply to Jeffrey Silverman

by Rajesh Dharmalingam -
Hi Jeffrey Silverman,

Thanks for pointing out. In the next release i will update the documentation accordingly and the version info of the Dimdim module.

Thanks,
-Rajesh
rajesh@dimdim.com

by Clark Moodler -
Hi Rajesh,

I just uploaded the latest version of the DimDim activity module (Moodle_v1.9_Dimdim_v4.5_Integration_Pack) which is slightly different than the version you had sent a few days prior to its release, in that, on the first page when adding a dimdim activity, it now takes you to a "dimdim enterprise" login page, with nothing else but username/password and credentials login button.

This to me is troublesome. What I really liked about the previous versions was that my instructors could just add the activity in Moodle, set up a time to meet, and use it. Most of them may not even have accounts on Dimdim.com yet. I understand if this is what DimDim needs/wants - to have users have accounts to log into on dimdim.com if the DimDim web meeting setting for dimdim_serverhost: is set to www1.dimdim.com port 80.

However, to me it would be much better if you also at least had a note such as:

"you must set up an account on Dimdim.com before you can login here and set up meetings. Click here to set up an account..." like this:

dimdim mockup

Also, I believe that the dimdim download links in the Modules and Plugins directory seems to be out of date - http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=932

thanks,
clark

by Heather P -
I downloaded the plugin from the plugins page today and mine looks nothing like the image you have put on. It also does not present a screen for username and password just lets you start a meeting.

Does this mean I've downloaded an out of date version do you think?
Thanks
In reply to Heather P

by Paul Tosney -
Heather,
I'm pretty certain that you have an older version of the plugin. We're currently using the older one where you just go staight into a meeting. I'm soon going to trial the newer version on another installation of Moodle to see what the differences are, but I've read elsewhere that this is one of the differences in the updated plugin.
Paul

by Franck PETIT -

Hello,

I tried to install Moodle V1.9_Dimdim_v4.5_Integration_Pack  on Moodle 1.9.4+ (Build: 20090422) on a production site hosted by Maven Hosting. I use Cpanel to tune the settings. 

I got the following error message: Module Moodle_v1.9_Dimdim_v4.5_Integration_Pack: /home/.../public_html/mod/Moodle_v1.9_Dimdim_v4.5_Integration_Pack/version.php was not readable

I changed the permissions of all the files in the pack to 0755 without results. I checked the module database but no tables were created for dimdim.

Thanks for your help, Franck

by David Sweigert -

I just downloaded and installed the Moodle_v1_9-Dimdim_v4_5_CommunityEdition_Integration_Pack.zip into our Moodle 1.9.x server.  It works great but I was wondering if there is a way to change the default settings that are found when creating the meeting (like PRIVATE CHAT, PUBLIC CHAT, AUDIO VIDEO).  I'd like to pre-configure these options to make it easier for my teachers when they set up a DimDim acitivity.  Is there something in one of the php files?  Thanks in advance.

In reply to David Sweigert

by Marc Grober -
Been meaning to go in and see if this is set in php or db and write up how to alter defaults as it is frustrating

by Muhammad Ajmal -
Hi Rajesh

Is this true that Dimdim is no longer available for Moodle free version?

Regards
Muhammad

In reply to Muhammad Ajmal

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi folks

Just had an email from Dimdim about the new Moodle integration pack cool

The pack is available at: http://www.dimdim.com/documents/Moodle_Dimdim_SAAS_v5_5_Integration_Module_07232010.zip

Documentation on how to use this pack is embedded in the above file.

From a very quick test, with Moodle 1.9.9, all seems to be working. However, be aware that it is still under active development, so may have a few bugs.

If you don't have your own local Dimdim server you can connect to the free service at my.dimdim.com port:80

In reply to Geoffrey Rowland

by Marc Grober -
Apparently Swati sent out notice re beta without realizing that there was already in place a tracker item to address the development and testing of the beta code.

Please see the post re the beta code and tracker item in this forum and download code and post responses there!

In fact the beta code has been very buggy to date and has corrupted dbs, so it is critical that no one use the code in a production system.

by antz franz -
Hi Rajesh,

We tried installing the SAAS_Moodle_Dimdim_v5.5_Integration_Module. But we are getting the below error.

[Module "dimdim" (2010031000) could not be installed. It requires a newer version of Moodle (currently you are using 2007101550, you need 2007101580).]

We cannot upgrade our Moodle since we have customized many other Moodle features for our needs. Currently we are using Moodle 1.9.5. Could you please let us know what fix we need to do to make the integration pack work with our version of Moodle without upgrading it.

Thanks & Best regards,
Antony

In reply to antz franz

by Marc Grober -
Rajesh has not been associated with this project for years. Please see the notice re beta code I posted in this forum and post issues with the beta code to the tracker. Thanks

by Raj Paramaraj -

Hi Rajesh..

Greetings to you...!!!

I have been seeing your support in moodle interms of Dimdim, it's really appreciatable one!!!

I think that you can help me from the issue which i am facing in Moodle & dimdim integartion.

As per the integration guide i have done the settings , Database table was created succesfully , even i have done the settings[IP/Port Number] successfully.

But the issue is, after created the webmeeting resource, i have been prompted to click the option "Click here to Start Meeting"..

after click the above option ,i have recieved the following error.

The Error was:
===========

Access forbidden!

You don't have permission to access the requested object. It is either read-protected or not readable by the server.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

ERROR: 403

==================================================

The Moodle Verion is : 1.9
The DIDM Version is  :1.6 Alpha

The Setting in DIDM was:
  Server : Hostname of my server & Port Number:80

Thanks & regards.

P.Raj

Attachment didmdim.JPG

Dead Thread: Dimdim Web Meeting Module related queries

by Marc Grober -
This is a dead thread. Please discontinue posting to it.

by stamatia artemi -

Hello everybody!!!

I have a tiny problem:

i have done the settings , Database table was created succesfully

But the issue is, after created the webmeeting resource, i have been prompted to click the option "Click here to Start Meeting"..

after click the above option ,i have recieved the error 404.

What should i do??? I relly need this

Thanks!!!

Official Dim Dim info: Dimdim Web Meeting Module related queries

by Angela Seeley -

Today I installed the Dim Dim Activity Module and used a free account to schedule and hold a meeting in Moodle 1.9 with absolutely no problem. Finished in 3 minutes.

See the Dim Dim blog for the download and manuals, which are cleaner, clearer versions of those provided in Rajesh's last few releases.

http://blog.dimdim.com/blog/bid/41642/Newsflash-The-New-Moodle-Dimdim-Integration-Pack