Grades exceptions in 1.9?

Grades exceptions in 1.9?

by Shin Okada -
Number of replies: 4
In 1.8 there is Grade exception tabs where I can add students to certain quiz, assignment etc.

I am not able to find grade exception tabs or page in 1.9.
Could anyone tell me where I can find it please?
In reply to Shin Okada

Re: Grades exceptions in 1.9?

by Gary Anderson -
Hi Elvis:

In 1.9, by default, grades are not factored into a student grade unless they have been set by the teacher. This means that if you want to exempt a student from an assignment (or other activityO, you can just write "exempt" in the feedback and simply not assign a grade.

This is much easier than setting up an "uncatagorized" category or using the exempt feature. And it has worked well for us the past few months since we switched to 1.9.

--Gary
In reply to Gary Anderson

by Shin Okada -
The problem with this approach is that if students do not attempt a quiz it will get - and I have to put 0 in each quiz.

Is there any way I can avoid this?
In reply to Shin Okada

by Gary Anderson -
Elvis:

It is true that teachers need to enter a zero when taking the quiz is no longer an option. You always have the option of having all your quizzes start at zero (By setting the Aggregate only non-empty grades to false) but I sure like the students to know their current status on current work: I can monitor the gradebook and give zero's for missing work when needed, and certainly before the conclusion of the course and the granting of credit.

--Gary
In reply to Gary Anderson

by Shin Okada -
Thanks Gary,

It solved my problem.

If I choose to use Aggregate only non-empty grades to false, it will force to give 0 to all other students who are excepted from taking a quiz. I have two levels of groups.

Then under Common module settings, I set Grouping to a group which I want to give the quiz and tick "Available for group members only"

And as you suggested setting the Aggregate only non-empty grades to false in Grades > Edit > Categories and items.

Wow, it getting more complicated and I am a bit worried for my colleagues who are not so IT oriented to follow this.