Error 'Could not make an empty record!'

Error 'Could not make an empty record!'

by Dirk Grunwald -
Number of replies: 5
We're using a "database" in a course originally created in 1.6 and upgrades now to 1.8.3plus (after using 1.8.2plus for several months).

The database itself was created when running 1.8.2plus.

Intermittently, we have problems where when saving a DB record, we get a message "Could not make an empty record!".

It's not clear what is causing this error - I've checked the error logs for debug output & don't see anything coming up.

I've check the MYSQL logs and run 'myisamchk' on all the files. Doesn't seem to be a problem there either.

Any suggestions? The only report I see related to this was from 12 Sept 2006, with no follow-ups.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dirk Grunwald

Re: Error 'Could not make an empty record!'

by David Bogner -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Dirk,

I have the same problem. It occurs when I make a new entry or edit an entry in the database module and do an upload of an .flv file in a file-field of the database.
There is a simple solution: Just submit your database new-entry-form a second time, then it will work. (It always worked, when I did send the form again)

Yours,
David
In reply to David Bogner

by Jack McDowell -
Hello, I have the same problem. Is there no real solution? Users aren't to happy about this error. Jack
In reply to David Bogner

by Gilles Carpentier -
Hi,
I exactly have the same behavior.
I parsed the bug tracker of Moodle for the database activity, but it seems that nobody officially reported this as a bug.
So I will have a look at my log files and if I still does not have any clue, will report it as a bug.

Gilles

In reply to Gilles Carpentier

by Tim Williams -
Picture of Plugin developers
Was this ever resolved ? I'm getting the same error when trying to edit database entries after adding a new field (in this case for a picture) to the database.
In reply to Dirk Grunwald

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

for reference, this has been tracked @ MDL-24836. Fix has been applied both to Moodle 1.8.x and 1.9.x. Should be working ok now.

Ciao smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)