Restore hangs while creating categories and questions

Restore hangs while creating categories and questions

by Christophe Burki -
Number of replies: 3
Hi,

I have a big backup which contains a moodle.xml file of approximately 185M. The restore process hangs during creation of categories and questions with no output. The browser just say done at the bottom but quizzes are not restored.

After a lot of searches and debug I found that the process hang during the xml_parse from the restorelib.php in the restore_read_xml function.

Note that I already set the php value post_max_size, upload_max_filesize, max_execution_time, memory_limit and max_input_time. The apache LimitRequestBody configuration directive has been modified too.

The backup was made on moodle version 1.4.1 and the restore is made on moodle version 1.8.2. Note that the same problem exist when restoring on moodle version 1.4.1.

Any idea? or any solution to resolve this problem?
Thanks in advance.

Best regards
Christophe Burki
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Christophe Burki

Re: Restore hangs while creating categories and questions

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Hi Christophe, this issue sounds like MDL-9290. If you could try out the patch and report back whether the proposed patch work for you or not, that would be great! Thanks!
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

by Christophe Burki -
Hi,
Thanks for you response! I have tried the patch for the two version of moodle (1.4.1 and 1.8.2). Unfortunately, it does not correct the problem for me. Note that my moodle.xml file is 8'557'020 line long.

Did you or somebody else have a solution for this problem?

Best regards
Christopne
In reply to Christophe Burki

by rfwu rfwu -

I have a big backup file more than 400M. I have tried the patch for version 1.8.3. It does not correct the problem. But I observe the high usage of server memory while restoring. I tried to set memory_limit = 512M(in php.ini) or raise_memory_limit(“512M”) (in backup/restore.php). Finally the problem has been solved.