Files area for students (for presentations, portfolios etc)

Files area for students (for presentations, portfolios etc)

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 35
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
(This discussion continues from http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=856)

The issue of allowing students to upload files into Moodle touches on many different areas such as presentations, portfolios, assignments, digital libraries, etc. There are also some potential problems that we can probably avoid from the start.

I've done some thinking and discussing about this in the past, so I thought I'd dump these ideas here to start the discussion rolling - hopefully this will lead to an overall plan that we all agree to, and that some of us can start implementing. My apologies for the long post.

There's four main issues that I see here:
  1. Centrality. I think it would make sense for all the files by a single student (in all courses within a server) to appear as a single collection of files - a library that the student can build up over time. This also makes it easier to think about adding WebDAV or FTP access later on.

2. Accessibility. It's probably sensible that files should default to being private from other students, but there should be capabilities to publish them or make them available to other students in particular courses. Some thought needs to go into a scheme that allows students to share documents in educational ways without encouraging illegal warez archives.

3. Quotas. With large amounts of students it would make sense that the admin is able to restrict groups of students to particular limits.

4. Metadata and Indexing. Perhaps not initially, but eventually I would like to see support for metadata attached to any file in the system to promote re-use, searching, etc.

These apply to teacher files too, obviously.

Once a solid file system like this exists (in fact this is a true Content Management System that goes beyond most of the open source systems that use this definition) then almost all other modules in Moodle can build upon it.

For example:
  • a "presentation" module could allow students/groups to choose files to present to their classmates, manage display of the whole list as well as collecting feedback etc (perhaps just anonymous comments or possibly grades).
  • a "portfolio" function could allow a student to easily choose internal or external resources to build up an attractive, commented list, either within a course or across all courses.
  • the assignment module could allow a student to select one or more of their uploaded files (eg a web site).
  • journals and forums could provide easy ways to link to uploaded files
  • ...I'm sure there are more.

Does this make sense? What do you think? What is missing from this picture?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Files area for students (for presentations, portfolios etc)

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes.... I think this makes perfect sense.

However my problem lies in making the leap from the idea of a central file store to how it would actually function in practice. Are we talking about a student portfolio "module" that is (essentially) additional to what Moodle does already, or are we talking about a major rework of the system to sit it on top of a more complex/versatile file system?

My impetus comes from the idea of a student being able to download work-sheets (probably in Office format), fill it in, and then upload back up into the system to (a) keep and (b) for attention of their Tutor. Even better if such documents could also be uploaded into forum posts - but then, in that situation, it might be better if they where converted to HTML!!! Ok - I'll stop there!
In reply to Howard Miller

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I would think a 'resource' + 'upload assignment' might already do what you want here.

Above I was talking about a new Files subsystem (the interface might be something like the current Teacher's Files section with extra features) that would allow extra features for most modules (but not a complete rework).

by Gunther Dippe -
First: I haven't followed the discussions in detail so this might be a bit off the track.

I have the perspective of general reusability of any resource even between courses (if the owner of the resource permits this).

I went to a seminar yesterday where TeleTOP (http://www.teletop.nl/index_uk.htm) was presented and it has, at least what it looked like, a nice implementation of the above mentioned feature.

The teacher/developer from Twente University had experiences from using the TeleTOP system also in the private sector (Shell company) and the Dutch army/navy.

Every resource which was added had an extensive set of metadata connected to it (although most of them where not mandatory).

Basically I would like to have a somewhat broader approach to reusing resources.

Cheers
In reply to Gunther Dippe

by Martin Dougiamas -
Yes, I agree a broad approach is what is needed.

Bear in mind this thread is mostly supposed to be about student files, though, which will be different from course resources (that area has a whole lot of different issues including IMS and SCORM support).

by Ray Kingdon -
It's probably time to put my hand up. I'm about half way through writing a module which covers some of this ground but it's not a general "content store". It's coming from the assignment direction.

Basically I want an assignment where, as a teacher, I put up a set of "Specimen" pieces of work, get the students to comment on/grade them, add their own pieces of work and then let others comment/grade them. And if that's not enough, all the time the teacher is grading the student comments. It's actually a "relaxed" version of the peer graded assignment module with a few tweaks. I say relaxed as this new assignment has only one deadline (the PG module has two) and the assignment can rumble along for some time, students can, if allowed, resubmit work with hopefully the quality improving over time. The other diference is that the students do NOT get the chance to comment on the comments make by other students (although they can see them). The teacher does the meta-grading, that's their job.

Provisionally I've given this module the title "Gallery". The teacher "shows off" some example pieces of work, they could be all good or all bad or good and bad. The students "get up to speed" by commenting on them. They then have a go themselves and get the "flak" from their classmates. The teacher's there as a guiding light(!) and policeman. By the end the class has created a Gallery of Work where everyone can tell the good from the bad. For some assignments producing would be more important than judging, others may be the other way round.The teacher can weight the final grade accordingly (as in the PG module).

I think the interface will be better than the PG module and will allow the viewing all the pieces of work as an option. As it is at the moment the thing is completely anonymous, both the items and the comments can't be traced back to the originators (that's another difference from the PG module where the file path gives the user's id number away.) That anonymity could be an option but students will probably be more comfortable working anonymously.

I'm hoping the module will see the light of day in a couple of weeks. Any thoughts on the name would be very welcome, and an icon!
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Martin Dougiamas -
This is almost exactly what I had in mind for the "presentation" module. smile The main difference is that the presentations were going to be put up by students or groups rather than the teacher.

I actually implemented this in Perl for a course of mine in 1999 - it sat inside WebCT. Students could grade and comment on each presentation - then each group could see the feedback they'd received (anonymised) while the teacher saw all the feedback arranged by author, in a form where they could meta-grade each student.

Obviously, student file areas will not really be an issue in your new module, since I assume you'll just use the teacher files, is that right?

by Ray Kingdon -

The module could be used with or without grading. When grading is switched on the teacher creates a grading "sheet" (a la the PG module). At the moment the meta-grading is a simple score.

I've taken my lead from the assignment module and put the files into something like ..moddata(?)/courseid/gallery/galleryid/submissionid/filename. That is, each file is put into its own directory. Looking at this, the galleryid bit is redundant as the submission id will increment over all galleries (and courses but let's not go down that road!). I'll probably drop the galleryid level.The files need to go into individual directories so that the filename can be (easily) preserved. (Someone once said that a filestore is nothing but a database so use it like one.) Putting the file into a submissionid directory (as opposed to a userid directory) makes the file anonymous (although of course the module knows who submitted the file from the submission record) and allows multiple submissions.  

I'm still worrying over the name, does "Gallery" sound like an assignment? "Presentation" is something which is more likely to involve some assessment. But have you got something else in mind for Presentations?    

In reply to Ray Kingdon

Gallery module

by Martin Dougiamas -
I'd like to reserve "presentation" if you don't mind. The module I'm thinking of is more closely analagous to the common class activity of presenting a group project to the class.

I like the name "gallery" but it has potential to be confused with photo galleries (maybe not, though).

"critique"? "examples"? "display"? "comparison"?

I don't suppose it can fit in as a submodule of "assignment"?

(new thread? evil kiss )

Re: Gallery module

by Ray Kingdon -
I'm not keen on the name "presentation" either for this new module. It immediately associates with PowerPoint in my mind as part of my job is teaching MS Office. "Projects" is used for independent work which, although it's normally assessed does not usually involve sharing the process or outcomes with others in the class. The current Assignment module includes Projects (apart from possibly Group Projects). I'll carry on with the working name of Gallery as that's got some of the right connotations of display, critique and judging.

In your WebCT in-add (written in the language we don't mention here wink) were the students "staged" in the sense that they had to assess the examples before they could submit before they could assess others before they could see other students comments on their own work? I'm worrying about getting the engagement of the weaker students, (the stronger ones will always "play the game"!) I can imagine the weaker students just waiting for the deadline and submitting a piece of work without doing any of the interesting stuff if they are not forced to interact. Any thoughts on the mechanics involved would be most helpful.
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Martin Dougiamas -
For some reason I'd totally missed the bit about student's submissions where you originally described this module - I understood it to be teacher's examples only. My bad - I must "Read carefully"!

Now Gallery is sounding even more similar to Presentation than I had at first thought, especially if the teacher's examples are optional. I can see a lot of teachers using Powerpoints in here, as well as multi-page web sites, images etc. Your module would definitely benefit from being able to piggy-back on a Student File Area, I would think. Even the teacher examples could re-use examples from past years.

As for dynamics, grades are always a good driver. My old system wasn't really staged, but because the teacher was grading individual students based on the comments they'd MADE there was plenty of incentive to write good comments. Group projects were graded based on comments RECEIVED, so there was incentive to get the projects up early (they were web sites). Plus I hassled the stragglers. evil

One restriction that would make good sense, I think, would be that you can't see any of the other student submissions until you submit your own.

I'm looking forward to seeing your module!

Do you want me to set up a poll here in 'Using Moodle' to get some feedback on names? (Presentation has the edge over Gallery for me at the moment wink ).

by Ray Kingdon -
Thanks for this, I've now written an overview of the new module. I've called it Another Assignment Module just to be on the safe side wink

You'll see a few restrictions tacked on the back of the document. A Student File Area would remove most of these. The assignment I have in my mind's eye is actually Powerpoint presentations and there I'm getting the students to think multimedia - all images, sounds, lights and action! The better ones include a sound track and that usually means an external file. So a multi-file submission mechanism would be great.

A poll on the module name would be interesting, comments on the Overview very welcome too.
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Martin Dougiamas -
Looks excellent, Ray, sounds quite flexible! (sorry about my delay in replying - big stuff often gets passed over in favour of the quick and easy job!)

I'll set up a poll ASAP. What should the options be? So far we have "Gallery", "Presentation", "Case Study" .. any more? Anyone?

by Ray Kingdon -
How's about "Showcase", "Workroom" and "Workshop". Of these I quite like both Workroom and Workshop, both have the correct flavour of dropping in to produce something and also possibly discussing other pieces of work.

In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Charles Elliott -
How does STUDIO sound...  I do like the idea of a production facility in some fashion..
In reply to Charles Elliott

by Martin Dougiamas -
I've posted the poll (please let me know if anything's wrong with it)

The result so far

by Martin Dougiamas -
In case you're curious ...

Currently (after 71 votes) "workshop" is leading with 35 votes. After that is studio (11), showcase (11), project (6), presentation (4), and gallery (3).

I'll leave it open for another week or so.

workshop module

by Martin Dougiamas -
It's quite clear from the poll and other comments that the overwhelmingly favourite name is "workshop". It's not what I originally voted for but I must say it's become my favourite too. smile

Thanks to everyone for their input - I'd like to move the discussion about the new module over to the Activity Modules forum, and I invite Ray to post there as news comes to hand.

by jean-marie baltimore -
Why don't you give this module a French flavor and call it simply ATELIER ?
In reply to jean-marie baltimore

by Gunther Dippe -
Why not!
smile
In reply to Gunther Dippe

by Martin Dougiamas -
Why not English, in that case? wink

I think there is enough trouble finding a name already without opening the field this way.

Bear in mind this name is NOT necessarily the name that will appear on the page (even in English). It is just a short module name that can be used for directories, URLs etc. Of course it would be better if the module-name and the displayed English name were the same.

The French translation may very well display "Atelier" if that is the best translation.

by Anders Edenfjord -

I agree with you Martin, a short handy name, easy to spell and that tells what it is...

Ray! this looks very interesting Good work! smile

In reply to Ray Kingdon

by David Lamotte -
Hi,

I am new to Moodle, but I have already learnt that there are a great bunch of people behind it.

Now, please don't laugh when I tell you that we are setting up moodle to deliver distance education in Beer Tasting. wide eyes

Ray's new module seems to take a step in the right direction for one of our challenges - beer appreciation is a very practicle skill to try to teach, and is best done by tasting beer and describing the sensations that you perceive - in effect this is a lab or tutorial setting rather than 'research and discuss'.

I intend to overcome this by conducting 'tutored tastings' where a facilitator will fill out a beer evaluation score sheet with their impressions, and then ask the students to taste the same beer and record their impressions. I have attached a draft copy of the tasting score sheet.

I started to look at developing my own quizz module as this sheet is just a jumbo version of the multiple choice quizz, but now I think that Ray's idea may be more appropriate.

We seem to have the same need for the Teacher to demonstrate -> students do their own work -> and the results are compared and discussed.

So, I would see it more as a 'Workshop' or 'Tutorial' activity.

Thanks for a great product,

David

by Charles Elliott -
Portfolio or Case Analysis might confuse matters, I will throw them in anyway. 

by Jeffery Watkins -

Peer Review... Peer Analysis...

Jeff Watkins

In reply to Jeffery Watkins

by Stanley Frielick -
The module name should capture the idea of 'peer' and 'assessment' somehow, which "gallery', 'showcase' etc. don't really do. Something like Structured Peer Assessment Module which sounded promising to me .... until I saw that the unfortunate acronym would be SPAM smile
In reply to Stanley Frielick

by Martin Dougiamas -
In fact Ray has previously made another module called "Peer Graded Assignment" (pgassignment) which has an even more structured method of assessment. You can try it out in the Demo 103 course if you like.

I'm wondering if there's going to be some confusion here between these two modules - they are similar in many ways.

by Martin Bruggeman -
I second (or third....) the necessity for some indication of the idea of "peer" being implied/included in the name but would also like to see something of the idea of the developing "critical thinking" without sounding too, er, critical...after a digression to search for ideas I can only add (at this moment) :

autocatalysis ( from http://www.bartleby.com/61/35/A0533500.html )

Catalysis of a chemical reaction by one of the products of the reaction.

which gets to the dynamic for me but does not sound too good...

All of the current suggestions in the poll seem misleading or too general ( and therefor likely to cause problems when some other module is developed equally or better suited to the name. e.g. when I saw "presentation" I thought of "slideshows" ).

The module sounds very good though!

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Martin wrote: "I'm wondering if there's going to be some confusion here between these two modules - they are similar in many ways."

I think there could be some confusion between the two peer-graded modules. I'm also wondering whether a new name is needed here. Aren't they both - after all - assignments? Why not have three types of assignment grading systems (teacher-graded, Ray's peer-graded assignment and the other peer-graded assignment) and three types of submission modes (offline, uploaded, and multi-file - if I remember correctly, some kind of mini-website upload type is planned). This I think would be most intuitive for both students and teachers.
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Loren Winfrey -

I especilally would like the multi-file upload. This feature would really help my classes. Has there been any addition of this in plans?

In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Tom Murdock -
Peer Workshop?

icon: two hands writing on the same page?
Attachment hands4.jpg
In reply to Tom Murdock

by Jeffery Watkins -

I like Peer Workshop. Or, maybe Peer Assessment Workshop... PAW... and have a dog paw...lol.

approve.gif Jeff

In reply to Ray Kingdon

Peer assesment

by Andrzej Kluza -

Learning Together : Peer Tutoring in Higher Education

Author: Nancy Falchikov
Format: Hardcover
Published: March 2001
ISBN: 0415182603
List Price: $90.00
Pages: 288
Publisher: Routledge

Peer Assessment - to accent the assesement functionality (PA?)

or Peer Workshop - to accent the whole work about the topic (PW?)

are my tips for naming.

Icon attached.

Attachment peer.gif

by Stig Bjarne Haugen -

All of this mentioned above is great. I'm thinking mostly about it being as flexible as possible. In other words, the more choices an administrator and teacher has, the better it is. Then it will be up to each institution weather the students gets i.e. a certain amount of storage place (and how much), if the teachers can view this, etc. Any limitations should be optional on some level, a lot of them the administrator(s) has to deal with, while other it's naturally that the teacher(s) can tweak themselves.

This goes for almost anything within Moodle, so institutions can simply not use the functions they don't need and tweak ant twist what they want to use so it fits. I'm working at Nesna University College in Norway, and I clearly see that we have different needs within our institution, as much as other institutions in Norway and definately around the world.

by Kevin Heneveld -

Sounds great!

A module like this, properly (flexibly is probably a better word) implemented, would go a long way toward meeting our district's needs.

Although I've discussed some of this with you, Martin, via email, let me give a quick rundown on our plans for Moodle for the other forum readers - they may have some valuable insight:

We are a K12 school district (About 35 separate locations on an internal WAN). We are implementing a customized version of Moodle as our "FILE" (Fairbanks Integrated Learning Environment) System district-wide (rolling out in high schools next year). This will be focussed almost exclusively on classroom-based learning with the added bonus of allowing teachers and students to also access work/assignments from home.

All our staff and student accounts will be auto-managed by our current staff/student databases which will also handle the creation and enrollment of students in their courses (so the teachers need only create assignments in their courses - if they wish to use that feature).  Because this will be a closed system (you cannot enroll yourself or create new courses) the first page people will see is the login page.  From there they will have access to all district resources that their profile dictates (teacher, student, parent, etc.)

The central aim of FILE will be as a hand-in/hand-out facilitation mechanism. So having a centralized, student-managed, teacher-accessable storage area would go a long way toward replacing our current building-based fileserver w/drop-box-hand-in folders scenario.

For a student to be able to keep working copies of their documents on the Moodle server for editing at school and home would be great (esp. with WebDav support biggrin.gif). One of the issues we are dealing with is that we don't want the teachers to have to create an assignment just to give the students the ability to hand something in to them. We'd like a teacher- or course-based, catch-all hand-in function, with no time-limits or due-dates.

Of course, we would like teachers to create assignments online with due dates and everything so that students (and eventually parents) will be able to pull up their calendars and see exactly what is due when, etc.  But to address the needs of the lowest common denominator, so to speak, the simpler the "default" implementation is for teachers initially, the better received this system will be.  Believe it or not, we have some teachers who are not interested in learning new things, so this has to be drop-dead-simple for them right out of the gate. (i.e. Tell the students to hand in their homework and then go to the teacher's hand-in web page and download the resulting files for grading).  Most of our teachers should be able to handle that with a minimum of training.

Anyway, as I said before, the primary, underlying function of Moodle for us will be the hand-in/hand-out feature (even if we have to write it in-house) - with the added bonuses of online quizzes, diaries, discussion forums, etc. for the less tech-phobic of our teachers. wink.gif  And, we feel confident, that as soon as they realize the power and flexibility of Moodle, some of them will be taking it places we never thought of.

Any idea on time-frame for this, and does your planned module fit this sort of convoluted use, or should we begin working on an in-house version?  I'd really rather not re-invent the wheel here if possible mixed.gif  Also, if there is anything in particular we can help with on this, please let me know.  This summer, I'm going to be a coding fool biggrin.gif