Install repeats license page

Install repeats license page

by Derek Theriot -
Number of replies: 8

I have been able to successfully install Moodle 1.8.3+ on my Windows XP, IIS5.1, MSSql2005 machine with no problems.  However, I am now trying to install it on a Windows 2003 server, IIS 6.0, MSSQL2005 machine and cannot get past the database creation.  The first set of SQL scripts run without any problems.  However, when I click continue, I am redirected back to the License page.

I have searched this forum and have tried everything I found, but nothing seems to work.  Has there ever been a resolution to this problem? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Derek Theriot

Re: Install repeats license page

by David McCormick -

Derek,

I am trying to get two very simliar environments up and running (although I am not quite as far along as you are):

Test - Moodle 1.8.3+, PHP 5.2.5 (ISAPI), WinXP, IIS5.1, MSSQL 2005 (free tds)

Prod - Moodle 1.8.3+, PHP 5.2.5 (ISAPI), Win2003, IIS6, MSSQL 2005 (free tds)

I was able to get the database to install (in Test) as well but the next page errors out.  While troubleshooting I added the following lines to my config.php just before the closing tag:

ini_set ('display_errors', 'on');

ini_set ('log_errors', 'on');

ini_set ('display_startup_errors', 'on');

ini_set ('error_reporting', E_ALL);

This told me in a round about way that I am having issues getting PHP to load some of the extensions correctly.  I also set up PHP to log to a file and this provided some useful information.  Hope this helps.  If I can't get my Test box running I am going to give the production server a shot.

Out of curiosity, would you mind sharing what version of PHP you got to work?

David McCormick

In reply to David McCormick

by Derek Theriot -
PHP version 5.2.4

by Derek Theriot -
...And I have already turned on the debugging.  No errors are being produced.

by David McCormick -

Are you using free tds or odbtp to connect to SQL Server? 

free tds is giving me an error at the end of the database install that I only just noticed:

4004: Unicode data in a Unicode-only collation or ntext data cannot be sent to clients using DB-Library (such as ISQL) or ODBC version 3.7 or earlier.

This appears right before the Green Database was created successfully message.  Continue tries to load the index.php file but it errors out.  I mention this because I hadn't noticed the errror message before this round of installs, but it is obviously causing issues.

In reply to David McCormick

by Derek Theriot -

I am using free tds.  I was getting this same error for a while and if I clicked continue, I was brought to a page that said there were errors with the database.  I noticed that phpinfo() return a configuration file path of c:\windows but the loaded configuration file was e:\php.  Once I deleted the e\php\php.ini file and modified the ini file in the windows folder, I stopped getting this error.  You have to make sure the you have extension=php_dblib.dll in the ini file and that extension=php_mssql.dll is commented out.  Once I got rid of this message is when I started getting redirected to the GPL license page.

by Richard Enison -
DT & DM,

This alternative solution might be of interest:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=82165#p364969

RLE
In reply to Richard Enison

by Derek Theriot -

I am still stuck on this problem.  I tried to force PHP to not cache pages in case that was the issue but I still have the same problem of getting redirected to the license page.

What really makes this frustration is that I didn't have any problems using MS Sql Server and IIS on my XP machine.

Any clues on where to go from here?

by Derek Theriot -

OK.  I tried a work around for this.  I took a backup of the database on the working install from my XP machine and restored it to the Windows 2003 server's database.  I can now get in to the site.

I now have another problem.  When I click on the notifications link, it brinngs me to the admin/index.php script, which I think is correct.  However, I am still getting the GPL license agreement.  If I click yes, it tries to install the database again.  It seems like the problem is in the admin/index.php page, but I have not been able to figure it out.

I am willing to try anything at this point.  Any suggestions?